Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 21, '12, 9:28 pm

Religion: Catholic - Now with 100% more vocation!
Default Searching for a Board Game & Other Hard to Find items

A thread with two purposes! One purpose is I simply want to vent that I really (really) want to get Starfarers of Catan. A friend of mine has it, and we play it often. It's my favorite board game ever, and I want one within my home!

The game is also out of print, and Mayfair is not going to reprint anytime soon.

Cost? Insane amounts on Amazon. Boardgamegeeks has some for 100 bucks US, but when you count shipping that's depressingly also expensive. Ebay is 90 bucks not counting shipping.

Thread has two purposes! One; if you see this in your travels, PM me so I can badger the store to ship it to Canada.

Secondly, anyone else ever have an issue with trying to find a hard-to-find item?

CAF Group for Catholic IT Workers. Now with 100% MORE MESSAGE BOARD!.
Old Jun 22, '12, 12:17 am

Default Re: Searching for a Board Game & Other Hard to Find items

play it online free
http://www.playcatan.com/

or

check out these stores cheaper

http://www.cheaperoz.com/z/result.js...arers+of+catan

http://www.gamesparadise.com.au/stra...FUlMpgodBChT1w

http://www.mayfairgames.com/game.php?stock=MFG3000

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1...arers-of-catan
Old Jun 22, '12, 4:25 am

Religion: Spoony Roman Catholic

*plays it online since I am in the Far East*

As for hard-to-find items, I get that all the time when I'm looking for DVDs of certain anime.

Last edited by Crescentinus; Jun 22, '12 at 4:37 am.
Old Jun 22, '12, 4:45 am

Religion: Catholic - Now with 100% more vocation!

3/4 links you have provided Starfarers is out of stock and out of print. The fourth (Boardgamegeeks) is swell, but I'd be paying 160 bucks for it.

It's not available at the "lets play online" place you suggested either.

CAF Group for Catholic IT Workers. Now with 100% MORE MESSAGE BOARD!.
Old Jun 22, '12, 7:01 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic

I don't know about board games, but I've had out-of-print books, CDs and video games that I've tried to locate. If it's something I really want, I do usually get it eventually, and most of the time at a reasonable price.

For me, the key is patience. When I was looking for the Jesus: Son and Savior book from John Paul II's Wednesday audiences (which right now is at $68+ for a used copy but at the time was something even more insane like $300+), I just bided my time. Eventually, someone came along and was offering a used copy in great condition for $14. That I can do.

There's a website camelcamelcamel.com which allows you to track Amazon price fluctuations. They'll even email you once the price drops below a certain threshhold that you set. That's the route I would recommend.

My brother has had success with eBay. He simply keeps an eye out for the item he wants and knows ahead of time what he is willing to pay. It often takes awhile, though. Eventually, after getting outbid many times, everything lines up and he gets what he wants for the price he wants.

I think that with out-of-print items, you have three types of sellers. First, there are the scalpers who know nothing of the product besides the fact that it is out-of-print and they charge an exorbitant amount figuring that eventually someone will come along and buy it at that price because they have no other choice.

Second, you have the collectors who know the product inside and out and they realize how rare and sought after the item is. They, too, set their prices high expecting that someone will eventually come along and buy it for that price because they know the value some people ascribe to it.

Third, you have the regular person who might not even realize the item is out-of-print, they just know they're tired of having it sit on their shelf and they want to get rid of it and make some money in the process. Thus they often price the item to sell as they would at a garage sale rather than at an antiques road show. These are the types of sellers I wait to buy from. They don't come around as often, but they do come around eventually.

The Catechesis of the Popes
The more I follow the online discussions ... the more I follow the debates and disagreements in the Church about administrative unity, or the concerns expressed about the moral or personal or administrative or leadership failings of the bishops or the clergy, the more I become convinced that whatever might be the truth of these concerns, ALL of this is simply a distraction. No, itís more than that. Itís a justification, an excuse, for not helping each other and those outside the Church fall in love with Jesus Christ. How easy it is to talk about everything, but about Jesus hardly at all.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media