Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 24, '12, 5:57 pm

Religion: Ukrainian Catholic
Default Is littering a sin?

I have a question, is littering a sin? I have littered a couple times in the past few days, the most significant being today, and though I don't do it often I never thought of it as sinful, but today for some reason I thought it maybe was?

If a friend was chewing tobacco and had a bottle of the tabacco filled spit and was in the back a of a truck with no windows and past me the bottle, then I tossed it out the window as he asked so his parents wouldn't know, is this sinful? I read somewhere that littering could be one of the "new era" deadly seven sins, then I read that the bishops refuted that and said is false. So i don't know, could this be sinful? and if it is, do you think it could be a mortal sin?
Old Jun 24, '12, 7:40 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Is littering a sin?

I consider littering a sin. It is the willful mis-use of God's material gifts and does damage to the environment God gave us. With only a little effort, litter is avoided by placing items in the proper place. Therefore, littering is a form of sloth or laziness.

When someone litters, they are saying with actions that they really do not care about the environment they live in and do not care how it affects you either. This is rather insensitive to others. This is a form of omission or anger toward your neighbor.

Finally, there is nothing positive to say about someone that litters. In this "middle earth" we live in we are all supposed to be growing in holiness. Littering is a clear sign that a person is not on track to holiness, and probably not in a state of grace. I understand some people were not taught how to act properly in society especially today with many single parent homes. They have others as examples though. I see people every day making an effort to put the litter in the garbage can. I appreciate their effort too.
Old Jun 24, '12, 8:12 pm

Religion: former Catholic

The involvement of tobacco spit unquestionably raises it to the level of mortal sin
Old Jun 24, '12, 8:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel63 View Post
I consider littering a sin. It is the willful mis-use of God's material gifts and does damage to the environment God gave us. With only a little effort, litter is avoided by placing items in the proper place. Therefore, littering is a form of sloth or laziness.

When someone litters, they are saying with actions that they really do not care about the environment they live in and do not care how it affects you either. This is rather insensitive to others. This is a form of omission or anger toward your neighbor.

Finally, there is nothing positive to say about someone that litters. In this "middle earth" we live in we are all supposed to be growing in holiness. Littering is a clear sign that a person is not on track to holiness, and probably not in a state of grace. I understand some people were not taught how to act properly in society especially today with many single parent homes. They have others as examples though. I see people every day making an effort to put the litter in the garbage can. I appreciate their effort too.
Okay, so are you implying littering to be a grave matter? Its not like I litter constantly litter, it rarely happens, but today I gave you the instant where I did litter, and on saturday one of my rappers flew away on my Mountain dew while I was fishing and I just let it go? I really don't know how this can be grave matter, and honestly I didn't even think of littering as a sin till today? would you still consider it in my instant mortal sin since i had no prior knowledge or would you pass it as venial?
Old Jun 24, '12, 8:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCatholicGuy View Post
The involvement of tobacco spit unquestionably raises it to the level of mortal sin
As I said though, it was not my spit(it was my friends), In Canada hockey players have a bad habit of "Chewing" or "diping"; so he's addicted. I've told him its plenty of times but he does not seem to care.
Old Jun 24, '12, 8:40 pm

I was in the parking lot at Walmart the other day and my receipt blew out of my hand and started blowing across the parking lot. I thought about chasing it (because I don't litter), but I just let it go b/c I was tired and I did not think it was serious matter. I did not drop it on purpose. So in the instance of your wrapper blowing out of your hand--no that is not a mortal sin. Throwing the bottle out of the window (without giving a thought to its sinfulness) was likely not a mortal sin either IMO. However, I am thinking that the REASON you threw it out the window is more of the sin. Basically, you helped your friend "lie" to his parents in hiding his "evidence". Did you give any thought to the fact that might be wrong before you threw the bottle out the window or did you do it without thinking? I cannot say if what you did was a mortal sin because as you know, you must have 1)grave matter 2)full knowledge that it is grave matter at the time you do it 3) full consent of the will (you know it's seriously wrong and you willfully choose to do it anyway). Only you know if those 3 conditions were present at the time. But now that you know littering is a sin, I'm sure you will not do it. And you should tell your friend that in the future you will not help him hide his tobacco use from his parents.
Old Jun 24, '12, 8:57 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Littering is usually not of grave matter. What you did doesn't sound like it's of grave matter.

"The Eucharist is the supreme proof of the Love of Jesus. After this, there is nothing more but Heaven."--St. Peter Julian Eymard
Old Jun 24, '12, 9:07 pm

Littering is sloth, and a lack of respect for oneself, one's fellows and God's creation.
Old Jun 24, '12, 9:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica97 View Post
I was in the parking lot at Walmart the other day and my receipt blew out of my hand and started blowing across the parking lot. I thought about chasing it (because I don't litter), but I just let it go b/c I was tired and I did not think it was serious matter. I did not drop it on purpose. So in the instance of your wrapper blowing out of your hand--no that is not a mortal sin. Throwing the bottle out of the window (without giving a thought to its sinfulness) was likely not a mortal sin either IMO. However, I am thinking that the REASON you threw it out the window is more of the sin. Basically, you helped your friend "lie" to his parents in hiding his "evidence". Did you give any thought to the fact that might be wrong before you threw the bottle out the window or did you do it without thinking? I cannot say if what you did was a mortal sin because as you know, you must have 1)grave matter 2)full knowledge that it is grave matter at the time you do it 3) full consent of the will (you know it's seriously wrong and you willfully choose to do it anyway). Only you know if those 3 conditions were present at the time. But now that you know littering is a sin, I'm sure you will not do it. And you should tell your friend that in the future you will not help him hide his tobacco use from his parents.
thanks for the information, And I tell him its wrong, if his parents asked me straight up I would tell them, but they never have(plus they have caught him before), I feel bad about the whole thing but I don't want to lose my trust with him so its kind of a hard situation.
Old Jun 24, '12, 9:42 pm

It's breaking a law, albeit a very small one. Though by that logic, speeding is also a sin.

It's also being uncharitable to your neighbor, since you are making others look at your trash.

Also in the specific instance you pointed out, you're helping your friend deceive his parents. Which is being an accessory to sin.
Old Jun 24, '12, 9:48 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphguy View Post
Littering is sloth, and a lack of respect for oneself, one's fellows and God's creation.
this

and when ever im not sure of a sin, I ask myself if Jesus was right infront of me would I DO this.... , and I don't think i would toss a gum wrapper on the floor in front of Jesus... so there ya go!

pray the Rosary now - http://www.comepraytherosary.org/
Old Jun 25, '12, 12:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab23 View Post
this

and when ever im not sure of a sin, I ask myself if Jesus was right infront of me would I DO this.... , and I don't think i would toss a gum wrapper on the floor in front of Jesus... so there ya go!
Thats a great way to put it, Being a recent convert(was Baptized and Chrismated(Confirmed for you latin rites ) On may 1st, so though I have dropped many bad habits, I am still learning about the faith, you know what they say Salvation is a life long process.
Old Jun 25, '12, 1:19 am

I certainly don't think littering is grave matter but it is against the law and it does show disrespect for others and for the environment. Put that rubbish in the bin!

It's a bit like people who don't return their shopping trolleys at the supermarket but leave them where it suits them and in the way of people and other cars. Not a sin and not against the law but it's lazy, annoying and disrespectful and can sometimes be dangerous. Take your trolleys back everyone!

Lots of things are not necessarily sins in themselves but they're still wrong and we shouldn't do them.

That's my take on it anyway

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology