Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 6, '11, 7:19 pm

Default Any tips on having humility and/or being meek?

I'm kind of tired of how our society tends to glorify people who have some exceptional ability and tend to put their stus on par with that of like a diety.The video for Kanye West's "Power come to my mind (I dont like that song or it's video).I've been thinking lately how even though I try not to think of myself in a pompous way even i have forgotten bits on humility and what it means.I guess I've almost forgotten all of what it means to be meek like how even though our society ussually intreprets it as like a weak submissiveness even though it is actually a virtue (the line that Jesus said in the Sermon on the Mount that went something like "blessed are the meek because [they will inherit the kingdom of God?.I would really appreciate it if someone gave me the exact quote and in what book it's in).I would really like it if anyone could refresh me on the meaning of humility and meekness and/or some tips on how to be humble and/or meek.Thank you very much and blessings.
Old Mar 6, '11, 8:05 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Any tips on having humility and/or being meek?

First of all, why don't you ask first if it's really society who made that image of meek=doormat and not really the failings of so-called meek people to stand up for themselves?

Oftentimes, I have even read quotes from saints that can easily be twisted into excuses for people to let arrogant ones browbeat them. Back in the days of colonization, it was quite a common tactic to use humility as a reason to justify submission to tyrannical European rulers. "The Kastila are so great and so wise for they come from a civilized Empire. We are the indio, the savage, the brutes, we must humble ourselves and listen to them."

It's a strange thing isn't it? Fear and insecurity seem to be so easily confused with humility and meekness. I think it's important, in our society today, to differentiate the two because in the past, the stereotype of making humble people into doormats really had basis in reality.

New blog

Our magic is not absolute. True magic results from courage of the heart.
- Negi Springfield (Mahou Sensei Negima)
Old Mar 6, '11, 8:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Wanderer View Post
First of all, why don't you ask first if it's really society who made that image of meek=doormat and not really the failings of so-called meek people to stand up for themselves?

Oftentimes, I have even read quotes from saints that can easily be twisted into excuses for people to let arrogant ones browbeat them. Back in the days of colonization, it was quite a common tactic to use humility as a reason to justify submission to tyrannical European rulers. "The Kastila are so great and so wise for they come from a civilized Empire. We are the indio, the savage, the brutes, we must humble ourselves and listen to them."

It's a strange thing isn't it? Fear and insecurity seem to be so easily confused with humility and meekness. I think it's important, in our society today, to differentiate the two because in the past, the stereotype of making humble people into doormats really had basis in reality.
Christian humility is defined as recognizing that everything you have is a gift from God. You don't own or deserve any of God's gifts. They are given to you to use for His glory.
It's not about being anyone's doormat.
Old Mar 6, '11, 8:26 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic Revert

First pray for the grace to foster these virtues.
They are indeed virtues that require great strength.

Second - Silence is a great teacher. Learn to be silent and listen. Speak only when there is something to say and do not chatter aimlessly (a fault of mine I'm afraid )

Third - Read Scriptures. Proverbs can be a good source of humbling thought.

Fourth - Consider prayerfully that you can do nothing with out the grace of God. That all good that you do is his working through you. Give the glory to Him.

Fifth - Practice gratitude toward your neighbor. Thank people for even small favors. Look for small services you can do for others. These days even things as small as holding a door seem to be exceptions rather than the rule...

Sixth - Consider reading the lives of some saints. St Francis of Asissi is a great role model in humility.

Hope this is of some help

Peace
James

The Best book on Spirituality that I ever Read: "The Fulfillment of All Desire"

Oh my God , I will continue
to perform, all my actions
for the love of Thee
Amen.
Old Mar 7, '11, 1:15 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by momor View Post
Christian humility is defined as recognizing that everything you have is a gift from God. You don't own or deserve any of God's gifts. They are given to you to use for His glory.
It's not about being anyone's doormat.
Indeed yet would you deem coming into the defense of such gifts an act of pride? That's a question I really like to ask people who are quick to judge those who feel proud as sinfully arrogant.

You have been given gifts by God Himself. Is that not a good reason to be confident? If God gave me the talent of a good basketball player yet a newbie thinks me an amateur despite my high performance records, don't you think he is actually mocking the One who had granted me such a gift?

I just thought I'd ask since some religious people seem to give the impression that humility is about putting down the good things God has made you out to be.

New blog

Old Mar 7, '11, 9:22 am

Quote:
Indeed yet would you deem coming into the defense of such gifts an act of pride? That's a question I really like to ask people who are quick to judge those who feel proud as sinfully arrogant.

You have been given gifts by God Himself. Is that not a good reason to be confident? If God gave me the talent of a good basketball player yet a newbie thinks me an amateur despite my high performance records, don't you think he is actually mocking the One who had granted me such a gift?

I just thought I'd ask since some religious people seem to give the impression that humility is about putting down the good things God has made you out to be.
It seems to me that if your record speaks for itself then why worry about what someone thinks? I think he is only mocking you in jealousy, not God. Humility would be recognizing he is a child of God just like you are and you are both flawed although perhaps in different ways.

Another example would be if the newbie was fawning all over you and making you out to be some kind of hero. Proper humility would keep you from becoming proud because you realize your athletic talents are a gift from God that you have nurtured through grace. You could have been born a bumbler, but if you had been you would still be worth just as much in the eyes of God. It keeps the "worth" of the particular gifts God gives each of us in perspective.
Old Mar 7, '11, 9:57 am
Forum Elder

Quote:

It is a narrow road between the two ditches of Arrogance and pride on one side and dispair on the other.

The great Saints teach that one can be sinfully proud even of humility itself - as does Christ.
Christ tells us not to do things to be seen, not to "blow trumpets before you" or stand on street corners and pray or to be like the fellow in temple saying "thank God I'm not like others...In other words those people are "Proud" of their humility".

Confidence, when properly placed, is a good thing, but one must remember what Christ and the Apostles have taught us to recognize what is right. St Paul wroe quite a few things on this under the heading of describing love.
Chrust summed it up in his saying that the least here on earth will be the greatest in the Kingdom. The one greatest in the Kingdom is the one who is servant to all here on earth, just as He served us all by His passion and death.

Peace
James

for the love of Thee
Amen.
Old Mar 7, '11, 10:59 am
Forum Master

Pride is all driven by the ego, and the ego gets its strength by our dwelling on the past, or the future, but is weak in the present.

In the past, through the ego, we look at our past accomplishments and wish we could have made ourselves better in the eyes of men. We see our failures and become resentful toward those we didn't impress and even begin to hate.

In the future, the ego has us believing that things will be perfect as soon as, we gain a particular thing or accomplishment. Instead of seeing things in the present as good, we wait in misery for the future.

Prayer is the path to humilty, because when we pray, we are in the present with God as God is.

Jim
Old Mar 7, '11, 9:18 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
It seems to me that if your record speaks for itself then why worry about what someone thinks? I think he is only mocking you in jealousy, not God. Humility would be recognizing he is a child of God just like you are and you are both flawed although perhaps in different ways.
I'm just following people's logic here and see how it can stand in certain situations. If we are called to attribute our talents to God and that it was He who so graciously bestowed them upon us for He is all that is good, why then should we allow someone to speak ill of these gifts? If you gave someone a gift yet someone else looked down upon it, would you not be offended?

Quote:
Another example would be if the newbie was fawning all over you and making you out to be some kind of hero. Proper humility would keep you from becoming proud because you realize your athletic talents are a gift from God that you have nurtured through grace. You could have been born a bumbler, but if you had been you would still be worth just as much in the eyes of God. It keeps the "worth" of the particular gifts God gives each of us in perspective.
I don't believe being proud is evil. In fact, it can be a just reward after working so hard to achieve something. God deserves credit for giving you the gifts. That doesn't mean you shouldn't have some credit for yourself for being the one to use them well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKH View Post
It is a narrow road between the two ditches of Arrogance and pride on one side and dispair on the other.
Indeed. In fact, I am reminded of a thread a long time ago on the same topic of humility yet the OP described something about denying truth for the sake of humility. For instance, if I were a master of a certain game, the humble choice would be not to brag about it needlessly. On the other hand, if someone were to ask of your achievements or request a demonstration of your abilities, do you water them down for fear of sounding arrogant? When someone asks if you really took out last year's champion in a swift yet spectacular One-Turn-Kill, would you deny it when in fact, the whole world saw it for themselves that you really did floor your opponent in a single turn?

New blog

Old Mar 7, '11, 9:43 pm

Religion: catholic

Humility is dying to yourself so you can love God and your neighbor. Meekness is the opposite of anger.

However, I have to agree with Lost Wanderer about the gifts from God. My priest said that when someone acknowledges our gift we are not being humble if we do not thank the person and acknowledge that we do have the gift, which is from God.

onmyknees praying to Him who gives me strength
Old Mar 8, '11, 5:57 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimR-OCDS View Post
Pride is all driven by the ego, and the ego gets its strength by our dwelling on the past, or the future, but is weak in the present.

In the past, through the ego, we look at our past accomplishments and wish we could have made ourselves better in the eyes of men. We see our failures and become resentful toward those we didn't impress and even begin to hate.

In the future, the ego has us believing that things will be perfect as soon as, we gain a particular thing or accomplishment. Instead of seeing things in the present as good, we wait in misery for the future.

Prayer is the path to humilty, because when we pray, we are in the present with God as God is.

Jim

Excellent insight

Peace
James

for the love of Thee
Amen.
Old Mar 8, '11, 6:36 am

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic, former Muslim

Patience and awareness are both important too. Recognize what things you can and cannot control and avoid any unnecessary confrontations. Be aware of the moment and keep your head about you. Observe things and remain calm. Look for God in everything. Detachment to material things also allows us to remain humble and meek.

It sounds easy but it is very difficult in a technological and materialistic world, where the haves have worldly power and the have nots are usually shunned. One thing that always calms me is that when I feel overwhlemed by the corruption of the world in general then I say to myself that this is the way things are supposed to happen. It is part of the plan and just means we are moving closer and closer to seeing God.
Old Mar 8, '11, 9:50 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

+JMJ+
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrack View Post
I'm kind of tired of how our society tends to glorify people who have some exceptional ability and tend to put their stus on par with that of like a diety.The video for Kanye West's "Power come to my mind (I dont like that song or it's video).I've been thinking lately how even though I try not to think of myself in a pompous way even i have forgotten bits on humility and what it means.I guess I've almost forgotten all of what it means to be meek like how even though our society ussually intreprets it as like a weak submissiveness even though it is actually a virtue (the line that Jesus said in the Sermon on the Mount that went something like "blessed are the meek because [they will inherit the kingdom of God?.I would really appreciate it if someone gave me the exact quote and in what book it's in).I would really like it if anyone could refresh me on the meaning of humility and meekness and/or some tips on how to be humble and/or meek.Thank you very much and blessings.
Sidetrack, humility is just acknowledging the truth with your mind and heart. That's it. Accept what is truth, align yourself to the truth, and don't let it bother you.

If you are as excellent at playing basketball like Michael Jordan, acknowledge it, accept the accolades, and don't let it bother you nor puff up your head, but also acknowledge that you came to be that good because of hard practice and natural talent given by God. So, do not slack off and be always grateful to God. That's humility.

As Lost Wanderer said, do not listen to society, but actually look at what humility means. In fact, I mentioned this yesterday in another thread, I'll share it with you (with some editing):

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuntym View Post
+JMJ+

Humility comes from the Latin word for dirt, humus. And that always reminds me that I am human...I was made from dirt, and I will return to dirt.

But I am more than dirt...I am dirt that has been infused by the Breath of God. That is why we can dream the impossible dreams, because our souls (Latin: anima) were created by God to reach beyond the limits imposed by this world.

humus+anima=human

So all the good come only from God (including my soul, and thus my spiritual experiences experienced by the soul), and all the bad come only from the dirt that is me...and yet I, all that I am, am a son of the living God.

There is nothing to be proud about, and everything to be humble for, with a humility that reaches for God and the heavens.
God bless.

close your eyes and walk in the dark.

St. John of the Cross
Old Mar 9, '11, 12:28 am
Banned
Forum Supporter

Religion: catholic
Send a message via AIM to AlanFromWichita

This is an excellent thread, and you have been given lots of good advice.

I want to add, be open and eager to learn, and from places and people where you might not have expected to learn anything.

For example, if I'm an engineer, it pays to listen to the advice of technicians who don't have my training, because they have knowledge I don't have.

Sometimes I've learned great things about spiritual life and peace, from people with what are considered "lowly" jobs.

If I have a degree in a topic, I can still learn from people who have no formal training in that field.

Just listening to someone with a different perspective can help us see more than what we already know, no matter how much we already know.

So to me, an eagerness to learn the truth -- especially if it challenges what I already thought I knew -- is helpful in staying humble. There is no room for an attitude of superiority here, because such an attitude stifles honest and valuable feedback.

Alan
Old Mar 14, '11, 9:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrack View Post
I would really like it if anyone could refresh me on the meaning of humility and meekness and/or some tips on how to be humble and/or meek.Thank you very much and blessings.
Hi, well my thoughts are taken from our Lord himself who although God humbled himself and did not use his divine powers to raise himself up or attack others.

Contrast that with those who have status and use it to raise themselves up further, or use their wealth status to attack others or defend themselves.

Or yet another example - consider powerful countries with wealth, military power and status. How do they use their power? To invade other countries and force their beliefs onto the invaded country. These are examples of the opposite of meekness.

Jesus who is God had infinite power at his command did not use it to attack others, defend himself or raise himself up. This is the definition of meekness.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality