Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 29, '12, 4:17 pm

Religion: Catholic,Traditionalist,Latin,Eastern Rites and proud of it!
Default what to include in prayer pack??

Hey everyone!!

if you were me, what would you include in your "prayer pack" ( mine will be one of those drawstring gymbags)

Non negotiable

My chaplets

however i ask, as i have a TON of prayerbooks, holy cards and devotional books in there, and it is driving me nuts: here is the list, i would politley ask you to choose a few (no more than 3 or 4 items, as organzising them is very annoying!!)

1. One Hour with JESUS prayer booklet

2. handbook of prayers (midwest theological forum)- A ton of prayers, latin and english!!

3. Hungarian prayer/meditiation book, different holy hour meditiations on different aspects of the faith,for example, the Sacred Heart, the Eucharist, The Sorrowful Mother, etc- ps. its thick!!

4. 1956/1957 St. Joseph Daily Missal-thick, leather

5. Sacred Heart of JESUS tan bookpublishers booklet

6- new american Bible

7 Old douay Rheims bible

8-Holy card/prayer card album

several booklets, etc., keep in mind, that i will be carrying this around all day, at school etc., plus i will carry it to Church and use it at home as well!! Thank you so much for your help!!

J.M.J
Old Jun 29, '12, 5:26 pm
Banned

Default Re: what to include in prayer pack??

well u should at least include the DR bible and Hungarian phase books are also all very nice
Old Jun 29, '12, 5:34 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic

I would go with 1, 2, 5 and either 6 or 7.
Old Jun 29, '12, 5:55 pm

1 and either 6 or 7.
(I am assuming that a prayerpack is something you bring to the chapel for a holy hour?)
Old Jun 29, '12, 6:23 pm

Yes, something i would carry to Prayer Hour!!, but also for personal prayer, alone or in the Church or Chapel etc..

J.M.J
Old Jun 29, '12, 7:11 pm
Prayer Warrior

Thumbs up Re: what to include in prayer pack??

I have never heard of the Handbook of Prayers. Do you mean the "Manual of Prayers"? The one with the Coat of Arms of the North American Pontifical College? If so - that one is simply Spectacular. I have it myself. Anyway, I advise that you bring 1, 2, 4, 7. I don't have number one, but I'll look into it. I have a 1955 St. Andrew's Daily Missal, I understand that they can be pretty hulking and cumbersome.

Bless you for wanting to put in the effort to lead a holier life. Remember me and all of us here on CAF when you pray with these, the tools God has given you.
Old Jun 29, '12, 7:16 pm

Smile Re: what to include in prayer pack??

Almost, its a bit slimmer i think, but quite abit. I will want to pick up a copy eventually of that one, but, for $21 or $20 the book is almost the same, except it is half as thick, and it has a red cover, but it is published by Midwest Theological Forum, it has latin and english prayers on both sides (a huge bonus!!), and #1 is a cute booklet, it is very appropriate for EUCHARISTIC ADORATION!!, it has meditiations, scriptural Rosary, prayers etc... its for those whos minds tend to wander, even in the PRESENCE OF THE ALMIGHTY!!

J.M.J
Old Jun 29, '12, 8:25 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278

I would include the Douay-Rheims or New American Bible as well as one or two of the prayer books you mentioned.

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old Jun 29, '12, 8:36 pm
Forum Master

Unless you are going to be going to daily EF Mass, the Missal could be left at home. Same with the "One hour with Jesus" book and the Hungarian book unless you are actually making a holy hour at some point during the day.

I suggest picking one of the two Bibles to carry around, depending on how you will be using it. If it's for a Bible study, there is probably a recommended version; if it's for personal reading, pick one. Use the other for your at-home scripture reading. Better yet, if you have a smart phone or e-reader, leave both books at home and get the electronic versions.

Picking a few:

#2 and either #6 or #7. That's more than enough to keep you occupied between work and school. You can always rotate out #2 with other prayer books or the album - perhaps every few weeks.
“Above all, the common outcry, which is justly made on behalf of human rights -- for example, the right to health, to home, to work, to family, to culture -- is false and illusory if the right to life, the most basic and fundamental right and the condition for all other personal rights, is not defended with maximum determination.” Saint John Paul II

"It is not “progressive” to try to resolve problems by eliminating a human life." Pope Francis

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality