Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 5, '12, 12:50 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Church bans gluten-free host

Quote:
Originally Posted by salusanimarum17 View Post
I'm allergic to several foods. None of them taste bad to me.
It's not everyone, but there is scientific study that shows that it is not uncommon.
Old Sep 5, '12, 4:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsOfEagles View Post
It's not everyone, but there is scientific study that shows that it is not uncommon.
Never heard of it. It would be handy...although there are lots of things I don't like that don't cause allergic reactions.
Old Sep 5, '12, 5:26 pm
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

Sigh.

So many wanna-be Popes. . .

The Church, with 2000 years of Scripture and tradition, prays to the Holy Spirit for guidance.

Guided by the Spirit, the Church determines the nature of a given substance (bread.wine) and what would be its proper matter for a sacrament.

The Church, guided by the Spirit, after much prayer, makes the determination.

And what happens?

"I don't think Jesus would CARE."
"I think the Church should change.'
"I think the Church is wrong."
"I think the Church is trying to impose things that JESUS would not."
"I think what the Church is doing hurts others."
"I don't know why the Church has to do this."
"I don't want to listen."
"I want the Church to do what <I> want."

It's like they're saying, "Well, gee. We believe the Church was guided by the Holy Spirit when it put together the Scriptures. We believe the Church was guided by the Holy Spirit when it defined the Trinity. . BUT we just can't believe the Church can make a decision like what constitutes a sacrament. WE want to decide what we will eat and drink in our Eucharist according to whatever WE think is 'best'.

You know, it's no wonder that the 'little things' are so contentiously argued. It's EASY to consider oneself not only a practicing Catholic but a GOOD Catholic when one can say, "Oh I believe in the Trinity, and I believe in Mary's Immaculate Conception, and I believe in the Eucharist and all that."

Because NONE OF THAT has any impact on our 'day to day' life, you know? You don't (usually) have people demanding that you NOT believe in the Trinity or the Immaculate Conception or the Real Presence. And while you will have SOME people hooting at you for being 'mindless sheep' you have an awful lot of people who agree.

AH, but the 'other issues.' Gay marriage? Used to be you'd have a LOT of company saying, "wrong'. NOW though, it's the other way around. It's a lot harder to say that you are opposed to this. NOW people throw 'bigot', "Homophobe', 'hater' at you. Hard to take. Hard to look like a stumbling 'yokel' in the sight of your generous, enlightened, and tolerant folks who 'support' gay marriage, isn't it?

I have to wonder how many people start out 'questioning' the Church on these 'little things' like what makes a valid Eucharist, because they are CONCERNED about the 'poor celiacs'. . .and how that leads to questioning on OTHER things. Hey, once you've found the Church to be 'intolerant' and 'questionable' on the Eucharist matter, then you start to wonder where else it has 'gone wrong', and pretty soon, the ONLY thing "Catholic" about you is that you still believe in the Trinity (but think the Jesus Seminar people had it right). Everything else you either disagree with completely or dismiss as 'optional'. . .

Note I am NOT saying that anybody here who is 'questioning' the 'gluten' matter etc is going to wind up rejecting the Church. (That's why I used words like 'wonder' and 'how many' instead of 'Know' and 'all') It's not as though people leave the Church overnight (some do, most don't). It could take years for those who do wind up rejecting; and they might return, reject, return many times. But it does SEEM (another word which indicates I am not saying this is absolutely factual and provable!) it does SEEM as though many on these forums who identify themselves as former Catholics started out questioning 'one little thing' and over a period of time found themselves rejecting more and more after that. . .

I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful" (Ordinatio Sacerdotalis 4). Pope John Paul II.
Old Sep 5, '12, 5:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantum ergo View Post
Sigh.

So many wanna-be Popes. . .

The Church, with 2000 years of Scripture and tradition, prays to the Holy Spirit for guidance.

Guided by the Spirit, the Church determines the nature of a given substance (bread.wine) and what would be its proper matter for a sacrament.

The Church, guided by the Spirit, after much prayer, makes the determination.

And what happens?

"I don't think Jesus would CARE."
"I think the Church should change.'
"I think the Church is wrong."
"I think the Church is trying to impose things that JESUS would not."
"I think what the Church is doing hurts others."
"I don't know why the Church has to do this."
"I don't want to listen."
"I want the Church to do what <I> want."

It's like they're saying, "Well, gee. We believe the Church was guided by the Holy Spirit when it put together the Scriptures. We believe the Church was guided by the Holy Spirit when it defined the Trinity. . BUT we just can't believe the Church can make a decision like what constitutes a sacrament. WE want to decide what we will eat and drink in our Eucharist according to whatever WE think is 'best'.

You know, it's no wonder that the 'little things' are so contentiously argued. It's EASY to consider oneself not only a practicing Catholic but a GOOD Catholic when one can say, "Oh I believe in the Trinity, and I believe in Mary's Immaculate Conception, and I believe in the Eucharist and all that."

Because NONE OF THAT has any impact on our 'day to day' life, you know? You don't (usually) have people demanding that you NOT believe in the Trinity or the Immaculate Conception or the Real Presence. And while you will have SOME people hooting at you for being 'mindless sheep' you have an awful lot of people who agree.

AH, but the 'other issues.' Gay marriage? Used to be you'd have a LOT of company saying, "wrong'. NOW though, it's the other way around. It's a lot harder to say that you are opposed to this. NOW people throw 'bigot', "Homophobe', 'hater' at you. Hard to take. Hard to look like a stumbling 'yokel' in the sight of your generous, enlightened, and tolerant folks who 'support' gay marriage, isn't it?

I have to wonder how many people start out 'questioning' the Church on these 'little things' like what makes a valid Eucharist, because they are CONCERNED about the 'poor celiacs'. . .and how that leads to questioning on OTHER things. Hey, once you've found the Church to be 'intolerant' and 'questionable' on the Eucharist matter, then you start to wonder where else it has 'gone wrong', and pretty soon, the ONLY thing "Catholic" about you is that you still believe in the Trinity (but think the Jesus Seminar people had it right). Everything else you either disagree with completely or dismiss as 'optional'. . .

Note I am NOT saying that anybody here who is 'questioning' the 'gluten' matter etc is going to wind up rejecting the Church. (That's why I used words like 'wonder' and 'how many' instead of 'Know' and 'all') It's not as though people leave the Church overnight (some do, most don't). It could take years for those who do wind up rejecting; and they might return, reject, return many times. But it does SEEM (another word which indicates I am not saying this is absolutely factual and provable!) it does SEEM as though many on these forums who identify themselves as former Catholics started out questioning 'one little thing' and over a period of time found themselves rejecting more and more after that. . .
With all due respect, I think you're blowing a question over why the host needs to contain wheat out of proportion. It's amazing how on a board set up for learning, people are attacked if they question anything about Church teaching. I mean, why have a discussion board then?
Old Sep 5, '12, 5:36 pm
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsOfEagles View Post
With all due respect, I think you're blowing a question over why the host needs to contain wheat out of proportion. It's amazing how on a board set up for learning, people are attacked if they question anything about Church teaching. I mean, why have a discussion board then?
Ah, but I'm not attacking anybody for questioning anything about Church teaching, am I?

I'm just discussing things. . .

If you'll notice, I not only used questioning, speculative language, I also was careful to say that it was not the questioning per se that was the problem, it was the rejection of truth.

Part of the thing about questioning is that it demands an answer. You can't question forever. In the end, you have to either accept an answer to a question, or reject it, or 'ignore it.

We can't spend the rest of our lives saying that the Church has not given us an answer to what constitutes the Eucharist, so that we can argue that it 'should' offer gluten free, or it 'should' change wine to grape juice, or it 'doesn't matter, because the 'question' hasn't been settled. it has.

We CAN question things like, "Why did the Church decide this? How did it happen?'

Because that we can get an answer to. We can look it up, we can check it out. Plenty to question.

But, with respect, the answer itself is out there and it is beyond question.

I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful" (Ordinatio Sacerdotalis 4). Pope John Paul II.
Old Sep 6, '12, 9:25 am
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seira View Post
Like the normal unleaven bread tastes amazing. You're not partaking of the body for it's taste. Not to mention you can wash it down w/ the wine.
Exactly! Since when is taste even a factor? This is just a microcosm of what we have become as a society. I don't tend to let this stuff bother me, but this is absolutely ridiculous on so many levels.
Old Sep 8, '12, 12:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phemie View Post
Chris Rock is obviously not an authority on medicine since in some African countries up to 90% of the population is lactose intolerant. Canada became a laughing stock a few decades ago for generously sending powdered milk to a population that couldn't consume it.
Need your sources, please!

Grew up in several countries in Africa and we pretty much lived on "Nido" powdered milk and "Carnation" milk as well. I can't recall anyone being lactose intolerant.

Also, many Nomadic people, like the Maasai, subsist on cattle milk etc.

But again, Chris Rock might say that lactose intolerance is not the subject of this thread....!

Last edited by Jacqueline1966; Sep 8, '12 at 12:47 pm.
Old Sep 8, '12, 1:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvelynEVF View Post
My understanding is that modern breeding has created wheat with a much higher percentage of gluten, and our more processed diets mean we eat a whole lot more of it in the developed world. So people may be celiac everywhere, it may not have enough exposure to become symptomatic. Plus, breastfeeding causes the growth of more villi in both mother and baby, so places where kids nurse for years rather than weeks would be less likely to see celiac on the scale we do in the US.
Brilliant explanation!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News