Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #31  
Old Jul 17, '13, 7:34 pm
Cavaradossi's Avatar
Cavaradossi Cavaradossi is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 16, 2011
Posts: 3,646
Religion: Orthodox
Default Re: Daughter of Matt Slick (CARM) speaks out against him

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjohnson View Post
My trick is to plant a few seed in my child's head that "Daddy will be really angry if I become Orthodox."

Child: Daddy, I HATE YOU, I'm going to the Orthodox church!!!

Me: "OH NO! Not that! Nooooooooooo!"
Reverse psychology. Gets 'em every time.
__________________
But God, he says, is simple, and whatever attribute of Him you have reckoned as knowable is of His essence. But the absurdities involved in this sophism are innumerable. When all these high attributes have been enumerated, are they all names of one essence? St. Basil Letter 234
  #32  
Old Dec 4, '14, 1:38 pm
boomerang's Avatar
boomerang boomerang is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: March 29, 2012
Posts: 1,188
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Daughter of Matt Slick (CARM) speaks out against him

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyGirl View Post
Oh, did you not read her essay? Her father isn't the reason why she stopped believing a God exists.
She says it was because she began asking questions about biblical discrepancies once she got out of the house...and she experienced a turning point moment when the religion of Christianity didn't make sense to her anymore.

.
That is what unfortunately happens when you place all your faith on the Bible to the point of idolatry, and have absolutely no tradition to back it up.
  #33  
Old Dec 4, '14, 6:21 pm
Randy Carson's Avatar
Randy Carson Randy Carson is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: September 22, 2006
Posts: 16,296
Religion: Protestant Convert to Catholicism
Default Re: Daughter of Matt Slick (CARM) speaks out against him

The moment of crisis for her came here:
If God was absolutely moral, because morality was absolute, and if the nature of “right” and “wrong” surpassed space, time, and existence, and if it was as much a fundamental property of reality as math, then why were some things a sin in the Old Testament but not a sin in the New Testament?

Alex had no answer — and I realized I didn’t either. Everyone had always explained this problem away using the principle that Jesus’ sacrifice meant we wouldn’t have to follow those ancient laws. 
But that wasn’t an answer. In fact, by the very nature of the problem, there was no possible answer that would align with Christianity.



I still remember sitting there in my dorm room bunk bed, staring at the cheap plywood desk, and feeling something horrible shift inside me, a vast chasm opening up beneath my identity, and I could only sit there and watch it fall away into darkness. The Bible is not infallible, logic whispered from the depths, and I had no defense against it. If it’s not infallible, you’ve been basing your life’s beliefs on the oral traditions of a Middle Eastern tribe. The Bible lied to you.


Everything I was, everything I knew, the structure of my reality, my society, and my sense of self suddenly crumbled away, and I was left naked.



I was no longer a Christian.
Perhaps the answer is here:

http://www.catholic.com/magazine/art...in-the-old-law

And Matt Slick may have said something similar here:

http://carm.org/leviticus-homosexual...-testament-law
__________________
Randy + † +
Tiber Swim Team - Class of '79

Five hundred years after the Reformation, "non-Papal" Christians are still trying to mold the papacy into something they can live with because they already decided it's really something they would rather live without.
  #34  
Old Dec 4, '14, 10:45 pm
Estevao's Avatar
Estevao Estevao is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: December 9, 2011
Posts: 1,292
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Daughter of Matt Slick (CARM) speaks out against him

Yep, another atheist who gives into lust but points to intellectual reasons as a cover for their apostasy. It's pretty funny too because the "arguments" she gives are just pathetic Philosophy 101 "What caused God?" level arguments. "I believe in science, not religion. I think rationally" blah blah blah, nothing but rhetoric from a bunch of faux-oppressed bourgeois kids with an internet connection who think that Richard Dawkins is a great thinker. I got a big laugh when her Philosophy 101 "professor" tried to actively make her an atheist. This is what you pay money for parents, for a bunch of marxist atheists to brainwash your kids and call it "free thinking" and for your kids to go off and be hedonists for 4 years.

Yep, I did a word search for "Aquinas", nothing comes up. A bunch of internet angsty internet rebels who think that Matt Slick is the be all and end all of Christianity. What a joke. I'm so glad I left atheist it's such an intellectual graveyard.
__________________
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the living God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Ubi Petrus, ibi ecclesia
  #35  
Old Dec 10, '14, 4:37 am
Theo520 Theo520 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: August 8, 2014
Posts: 1,118
Religion: Christian
Default Re: Daughter of Matt Slick (CARM) speaks out against him

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyGirl View Post
Oh, did you not read her essay? Her father isn't the reason why she stopped believing a God exists.
She says it was because she began asking questions about biblical discrepancies once she got out of the house...and she experienced a turning point moment when the religion of Christianity didn't make sense to her anymore.

.
Her response is a very typical path for stages of spiritual development. I urge people to read up on James Fowler if they are dealing with this in their life.
http://www.psychologycharts.com/jame...-of-faith.html
  #36  
Old Dec 20, '14, 5:57 pm
awsiukiewicz awsiukiewicz is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: March 23, 2012
Posts: 437
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Daughter of Matt Slick (CARM) speaks out against him

how sad.....how misguided...
  #37  
Old Dec 20, '14, 9:47 pm
Faithdancer's Avatar
Faithdancer Faithdancer is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: July 22, 2011
Posts: 2,459
Religion: Continuing Anglican (not C of E)
Default Re: Daughter of Matt Slick (CARM) speaks out against him

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopticChristian View Post
Daddy,

I disagree with you and point this out. This will be my one and only post. I am Catholic because of the witness of my Father. He took me to mass, served in the Holy Name Society, was bright, educatated, charitable and I rarely heard him speak negatively of what other's believed although he could explain it.



Matt Slick as a Father was an example of what he believed, thought and taught and some of these memories may have been less than positive.

I spent too many hours with too many Protestants and if my only exposure to Christian thought was with Calvinists, Arminians, Baptists, Fundamentalists and Evangeligcals or Protestant of whatever stripe then I too would have questions about the Christianity that they know. I, fortunately had something to compare these thoughts to and fortunately found the mire of disagreement and confusion, confusing.



She did not leave Christianity, she was exposed to Calvinism, and sadly based on this blog has nothing to compare it to. I met too many Fundamentalists that became Athiests, because when they discovered that Fundamentalism had too many loopholes and things that could not be proven having been taught that everyone else is wrong all they could do is bceome Athiest.

And when confronted with "The Bible is True" and this is your only authority then...



Sola Scriptura fails...

then of course as stated earlier...



She left Calvinism and hopefully she will pursue an intellectual pursuit of all that she missed and all that you and others have been exposed to on this forum and hopefully will understand that there is more to Christianity than Calvinism.
I'm sure she would still be devout in her faith if she had been brought up to believe, not that "the Bible is true" but rather that "the pope is infallible."
__________________
MS Exercise Science, MA English and Creative Writing
MFA Writing in progress
Member, Fellowship of Christian Cowboys
"I ride for Jesus." (Romans 1:1, SCV)
  #38  
Old Dec 20, '14, 10:02 pm
Estevao's Avatar
Estevao Estevao is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: December 9, 2011
Posts: 1,292
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Daughter of Matt Slick (CARM) speaks out against him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo520 View Post
Her response is a very typical path for stages of spiritual development. I urge people to read up on James Fowler if they are dealing with this in their life.
http://www.psychologycharts.com/jame...-of-faith.html
No her response is typical of college students who get involved in sin, and uncritically accept the talking points of leftist academics who actively try to disabuse students of their faith as an intellectual cover for their apostasy. Did you not read the article? She fornicated. She talked about her philosophy 101 professor actively tried to disabuse her of her faith with silly talking points. She then accepted the kind of pseudo-bible scholarship that litters atheist blogs as something legitimate instead of the product of a culture that is laughably ignorant of history, literature or logic.

Getting to your post, I was unaware that some psychologist was an authority on what "faith" means. There also appear to be typical atheist talking points in this "study", like that logic is opposed to faith and that if you rationally question your faith you will inevitably lose it, and that apostasizing is actually "advancing" in the spiritual life.

Also for a guide on the spiritual life, there is no mention of "sin" or "repentance" in this article. So it appears that what we have is just a bunch of psycho-bable of what real, adult faith is, that is something that just makes you feel good, and makes you do social justice activities like charity. But this is just the leftist secularist paradigm passing itself off as psychology.

This gets back to what I said above: parents pay to send their kids to college to go and be hedonists and to get brainwashed by a bunch of marxist atheists who attack their faith with fallacious reasoning. This psychologist is just another example of the kind of atheist academics who make a living preaching atheism and naturalism.
__________________
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the living God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Ubi Petrus, ibi ecclesia
  #39  
Old Dec 22, '14, 2:57 pm
Theo520 Theo520 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: August 8, 2014
Posts: 1,118
Religion: Christian
Default Re: Daughter of Matt Slick (CARM) speaks out against him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estevao View Post
No her response is typical of college students who get involved in sin, and uncritically accept the talking points of leftist academics who actively try to disabuse students of their faith as an intellectual cover for their apostasy. Did you not read the article? She fornicated. She talked about her philosophy 101 professor actively tried to disabuse her of her faith with silly talking points. She then accepted the kind of pseudo-bible scholarship that litters atheist blogs as something legitimate instead of the product of a culture that is laughably ignorant of history, literature or logic.
While her studies and university lifestyle did lead her away, that doesn't disprove the theory on stages of faith. She moved from a 'fundamentalist' view which tends to be very formal and literal, to that of a skeptic who questions their prior understanding.

Quote:
Getting to your post, I was unaware that some psychologist was an authority on what "faith" means. There also appear to be typical atheist talking points in this "study", like that logic is opposed to faith and that if you rationally question your faith you will inevitably lose it, and that apostasizing is actually "advancing" in the spiritual life.
The theory is more complex than can be presented in a simple table. But do you deny the premise, that a multitude of members become skeptical and question THEIR PRIOR UNDERSTANDING of their faith? By better understanding what is going on, it's easier to keep healthy questions from turning to full apostasy. Faith is a very personal journey, and we shouldn't be offended because others question their faith.

Quote:
Also for a guide on the spiritual life, there is no mention of "sin" or "repentance" in this article. So it appears that what we have is just a bunch of psycho-bable of what real, adult faith is, that is something that just makes you feel good, and makes you do social justice activities like charity. But this is just the leftist secularist paradigm passing itself off as psychology.
Are you projecting here? I'm not certain if you think my article should have mentioned sin or if the CARM girl should have. What I posted is not a 'guide book' but it can help explain why some people leave, and open a door for their return, as it did with me.

Quote:
This gets back to what I said above: parents pay to send their kids to college to go and be hedonists and to get brainwashed by a bunch of marxist atheists who attack their faith with fallacious reasoning. This psychologist is just another example of the kind of atheist academics who make a living preaching atheism and naturalism.
While you have a valid rant on colleges, Fowler is a Methodist minister and professor of Theology. He is not advocating non-religion.
  #40  
Old Dec 22, '14, 10:10 pm
Estevao's Avatar
Estevao Estevao is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: December 9, 2011
Posts: 1,292
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Daughter of Matt Slick (CARM) speaks out against him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo520 View Post
While her studies and university lifestyle did lead her away, that doesn't disprove the theory on stages of faith. She moved from a 'fundamentalist' view which tends to be very formal and literal, to that of a skeptic who questions their prior understanding.

The theory is more complex than can be presented in a simple table. But do you deny the premise, that a multitude of members become skeptical and question THEIR PRIOR UNDERSTANDING of their faith? By better understanding what is going on, it's easier to keep healthy questions from turning to full apostasy. Faith is a very personal journey, and we shouldn't be offended because others question their faith.

Are you projecting here? I'm not certain if you think my article should have mentioned sin or if the CARM girl should have. What I posted is not a 'guide book' but it can help explain why some people leave, and open a door for their return, as it did with me.

While you have a valid rant on colleges, Fowler is a Methodist minister and professor of Theology. He is not advocating non-religion.
The idea that adults come to a different, fuller understanding of the faith is fine, that's obvious, they have to make the faith their own, so that they can hand it to their own kids. But the understanding of this study or whatever seems to be that a "literal" understanding of the faith is incompatible with mature adult reasoning but the modern skeptical zeitgeist is compatible. It seems to me that someone like G.K. Chesterton or C.S. Lewis would be considered to be a fundamentalist, or childish, or just "stuck in a theological box" in this study.
__________________
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the living God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Ubi Petrus, ibi ecclesia
  #41  
Old Dec 23, '14, 5:34 am
Porknpie's Avatar
Porknpie Porknpie is offline
Regular Member
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: April 11, 2012
Posts: 2,969
Religion: Catholic n Catholic (pie is a convert)
Default Re: Daughter of Matt Slick (CARM) speaks out against him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithdancer View Post
I'm sure she would still be devout in her faith if she had been brought up to believe, not that "the Bible is true" but rather that "the pope is infallible."
Faithdancer -

How do you know that the bible is the inerrant and inspired written Word of God?


PnP
__________________

Highly recommend the United States Catholic Catechism on Audio CD (especially if you have a commute to work)

My Favorite Jesuit - March 24th Homily - Recognizing the Son of God
  #42  
Old Dec 24, '14, 1:38 pm
Theo520 Theo520 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: August 8, 2014
Posts: 1,118
Religion: Christian
Default Re: Daughter of Matt Slick (CARM) speaks out against him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estevao View Post
The idea that adults come to a different, fuller understanding of the faith is fine, that's obvious, they have to make the faith their own, so that they can hand it to their own kids. But the understanding of this study or whatever seems to be that a "literal" understanding of the faith is incompatible with mature adult reasoning but the modern skeptical zeitgeist is compatible. It seems to me that someone like G.K. Chesterton or C.S. Lewis would be considered to be a fundamentalist, or childish, or just "stuck in a theological box" in this study.
Theories related to faith or psychology are more like analogies, they are useful in advancing understanding, but they are not precise or all encompassing like our theories supporting the hard sciences.

Instead of reading a slight into what he is saying, use it to understand the spiritual path that many do seem to follow. Before reading this work, I was very dismissive of anyone whom I thought had a fundamentalist mindset. Now I'm open to appreciating the guidance and value they are receiving from their faith. That I no longer 'make them wrong' helps me to be a better christian.
  #43  
Old Dec 26, '14, 5:51 am
PRmerger's Avatar
PRmerger PRmerger is offline
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: March 19, 2006
Posts: 30,120
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Daughter of Matt Slick (CARM) speaks out against him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porknpie View Post
Faithdancer -

How do you know that the bible is the inerrant and inspired written Word of God?


PnP
Because he trusts in an infallible source: the Catholic Church.

Not to mention, unless he believes that 1 Peter and 2 Peter contains errors, he does believe that a pope was infallible--our first pope, at least, was infallible according to most Christians.

So it's peculiar to see people reject papal infallibility, while tacitly accepting papal infallibility.
__________________

25 Random Things About Me

Visit my blog: 3 Minute Apologetics
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump




Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8668Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: GLam8833
5480CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: James_OPL
4493Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: James_OPL
4306Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: James_OPL
4044OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: DevoteC
3934Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3918SOLITUDE
Last by: tuscany
3610Poems and Reflections
Last by: tonyg
3248Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3221For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: GLam8833



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 1:08 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.