Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 26, '12, 1:53 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Is it a sin to write derogatory words on body?

When Im upset or depressed i write derogatory words on myself like: whore, slut, prostitute, coward, b-tch, etc. Because I figure its better then cutting or physically hurting myself anyway. but I'd like to know if Im committing any sin in doing this? your thoughts?
Old Jun 26, '12, 2:52 pm

Default Re: Is it a sin to write derogatory words on body?

Cutting yourself spiritually is no better than physically. You need a counselor.
Old Jun 26, '12, 2:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PThomson View Post
When Im upset or depressed i write derogatory words on myself like: whore, slut, prostitute, coward, b-tch, etc. Because I figure its better then cutting or physically hurting myself anyway. but I'd like to know if Im committing any sin in doing this? your thoughts?
It sounds like you are doing this out of an abnormal self-hatred. I think that, yes, it is sinful, but probably more than sinful. You know that God created you in love and that you have value, so to devalue yourself in this way is a sin against not only yourself, but against God, because you are devaluing His creation. I would recommend finding a healthy way of dealing with these feelings and do not persist in this, reach out to people who care about you and can help you to realize your own worth.

In the meantime, I will pray a rosary for you this night.
Old Jun 26, '12, 2:55 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
While the alternative (cutting or physically hurting yourself) is far worst, I still think that is a bad idea. It's self-degrading. While I'm unsure if it is a sin in itself, self-degradation to this degree is a sign of mental instability. I would recommend going to a psychiatrist if this is a continuous action. Please talk to your priest as well.

I'll say a prayer for you, friend.

Old Jun 26, '12, 2:55 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

I agree with SonCatcher. The action is not the same as physically cutting or hurting but the psychological and spiritual effect is the same. This is not the method to deal with your pain - soon enough what you are doing will not be enough, it is a vicious spiral to worse things. You should seek help from someone.

My blog
Old Jun 26, '12, 3:06 pm
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Arrow Re: Is it a sin to write derogatory words on body?

Your body is a Sacred and Holy temple, so no.
Old Jun 26, '12, 3:28 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
My thoughts are, yes.

It is a sin to have these thoughts about anyone, let alone about ourselves. You are a part of this amazing, beautiful and wonderful creation. Without you, this tapestry is not woven completely. I would advise you seek counsel from someone within the Church. Open your heart to grace. It does not mean you will no longer suffer, but it does mean you will no longer suffer alone.
Old Jun 26, '12, 3:38 pm

When you are tempted to do this, remind yourself that God created you and He loves you.

Perhaps you can read some lines from Scripture, putting yourself in the presence of the Lord.
Old Jun 26, '12, 4:00 pm

Quote:
I agree with everyone's thoughts here so far; that it is wrong, and for all the reasons given.

You don't have to disclose this to us, but it would be worth reflecting on to help you analyse this a little closer and understand why it is a good or bad thing to do (assuming you believe, or have believed, it was a good thing to do for some reason...):

What does it accomplish? Does degrading yourself make you feel better afterwards? Do you believe in some small way that you are writing the thoughts of God? Is it some sin committed that prompts you to do this? If so, do you feel chastised/corrected after having done this (writing)? Does it give you a sense of power?

I sympathize with your situation, b/c I know people who cut themselves. I have learned that their cutting is the result of a skewed understanding of God and His creation and His love for us. They live in utter despair and no doubt I would too if I believed as they do... So, although it looks wrong, yes - I think some introspection might help with the spiritual aspects. A good priest if you know one, might be able to help, and definitely a lot of prayer and study about your faith, b/c, as I saw in the situation with my friends, sometimes a simple correction to one's theological perception can change so much.

Prayers for you~
Old Jun 26, '12, 4:16 pm

Quote:
It is not a sin, but a red flag that you have some issues that need professional attention.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality