Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 13, '12, 9:53 pm
Banned

Default Update: Gray Denies Sources Claims Mayor Will Resign

Quote:
Update: Mayor Gray announced to reporters that he will not resign and a spokesperson for the Mayor’s office denied a source’s claim that the mayor intended to resign today.

Sources are saying that Vincent Gray is about to resign as mayor of Washington, DC. The FBI and the U.S. Attorney’s Office have been investigating Gray’s for possible campaign violations and three of Gray’s campaign aides have pleaded guilty to financial misconduct, including a public-relations executive who admitted this week that she facilitated the use of $650,000 in illicit funds from a district businessman. Three members of the D.C. Council called on the mayor to step down yesterday with one saying Gray is responsible for “massive election fraud.”

We will be updating this story as it happens. More coverage this evening on Capitol Correspondent airing at 6 p.m. on 1390 AM in Washington and 1430 AM in New York.
http://capitolcorrespondent.com/cc/2...e-resignation/

Last edited by eternalrest; Jul 13, '12 at 10:03 pm.
Old Jul 13, '12, 10:04 pm
Banned

Default Re: Update: Gray Denies Sources Claims Mayor Will Resign

What was really interesting about the 2010 election was that Vincent Gray won over Adrian Fenty.
Quote:
Adrian Malik Fenty (born December 6, 1970)[1] was the sixth, and at age 36, the youngest, mayor of the District of Columbia.[2] He served one term—from 2007 to 2011—losing his bid for reelection at the primary level to Democrat Vincent C. Gray. Though Fenty won the Republican mayoral primary as a write-in candidate, he declined the Republican nomination and said he would likely not seek elected office again. Gray went on to win the general election for Mayor in the largely Democratic District.
So he probably would have won re-election as a Republican, but he chose to lose the election rather than switch to Republican.

Then he supported Scott Walker in 2011.
Quote:
Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker this morning got some rare Democratic support for his high-profile push to eliminate most state workers' collective barganing rights -- from former D.C. Mayor Adrian M. Fenty.

Fenty made his comments as a guest on MSNBC's "Morning Joe," making an in-studio appearance in New York with takeover mogul and ex-"car czar" Steven Rattner and former Republican presidential candidate Pat Buchanan.

When discussion turned to Walker's anti-union push, Fenty jumped right in.

"This is kind of what I faced in four years as mayor," Fenty told hosts Mike Barnicle and Mika Brzezinski. "He's right on the substance, I think. I tend to agree with him on the need for collective bargaining reform. But he's also right on the politics. I just don't understand why the legislature has been given this pass to go to another state and not do what they were sworn to do, and that's to take a vote. Unfortunately for Gov. Walker, he hasn't been able to get that out. He needs to point the finger a little bit more at them and say. 'Listen, they should take a vote. All I want is for them to vote up or down, and I will be fine with whatever they decide.'"

Brzezinski asked Fenty if he agreed with what Walker is doing.

"The substance of it, I do," Fenty said. "Most governors and mayors would love to be able to manage their team without the interference of collective bargaining. ... I believe that managers have the ability to set fair wages, and to set fair hours, and to reward people or hold them accountable. I think it's a new day. I think a lot of these collective bargaining agreements are completely outdated."
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/deb..._wisc_uni.html

So Adrian Fenty refused to run as a Republican, but he is willing to publicly support on national tv Republicans who are similar to himself. And he was willing to let Vincent Gray take over and become mayor in his place even though Gray appears to be corrupt. Does anyone understand why someone would feel comfortable supporting Republican candidates but not being a Republican oneself? More comfortable letting a city go on the path of failure, i.e. Detroit, than change parties?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News