Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 12, '12, 7:56 pm

Religion: Catholic. Latin Rite.
Send a message via Skype™ to JD27076
Default Depression Medication -- Confession

Am I Right?

When I feel in the slumps, I usually go to confession and it brightens my whole week knowing that I have been pardoned from my sin.

Does this usually happen to others?

Human life is Sacred. . . Animal life is Special.
Old Jul 12, '12, 9:40 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Depression Medication -- Confession

Most definitely! Spiritual healing (in confession) can certainly lead to physical or emotional healing.

I am working with a group of Boy Scouts on a religious award, which studies each sacrament. When we got to Reconciliation, I explained to them, "when life stinks - and sometimes it does - one thing that helps get rid of some of the smell is confession."

I few months ago, I had an appointment for confession after 6:30 Mass. The morning had started off badly before I even left the house with a "discussion" with my husband. Confession was such a blessing that morning...it turned out to be a great day! There are so many graces in this wonderful sacrament!
Old Jul 14, '12, 8:33 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Depression Medication -- Confession

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD27076 View Post
When I feel in the slumps, I usually go to confession and it brightens my whole week

I can't say it happens to me, but it does sound like a wonderful thing that you look for the Lord's friendship and as a consequence you feel joy! And it is a very edifying thing to confess every week even if you are not conscious of any mortal sin.

Do you always confess to the same priest? You may want to ask him for spiritual direction as well - hopefully he has time outside of the confessional - since he is starting to know your soul.

I asked for a reason.

We read in theology that the Holy Spirit inspires us and enable us to perform "supernatural or sanctifying" acts - I am not referring to miracles, but those acts within the reality of things that elevate us to God, such as experiencing repentance or experiencing a strong desire to receive the Eucharist. The fact that every time you experience something that feels like depression you feel that the Sacrament of Reconciliation will grant you peace does not sound like a "natural" thought - ex if I am thirsty I want water - since you are moved by faith in the action of the beloved Lord through His minister.

I then think - but it's just and idea - that you may want to consult with your confessor about the possibility of daily Communion.

I have the impression - but again I just read one post from you so I don't really know - that the Lord may want you to deepen your relationship with Him...and if your confessor agrees, daily reception of the Eucharist - perhaps for a given time - may greatly benefit you in the sense you describe, for it would draw you into a more perfect union with the Divine Spouse.

While some may just recommend to receive the Lord daily, I think you should be subject to the opinion of your confessor. After all, in the Reconciliation he acts in the person of the Lord. Many, like St. Francis of Sales, have stated that daily Communion is not something that everyone should do, while the Church now allows it based on the Lord's prayer: "give us today our daily bread" (given that we can never take the Eucharist for granted and we don't know if the Lord will grant us that ineffable gift, even if it were the only thing we had planned for the day).

I am sorry I wrote a lot, hope it is of some help!

-----
"At the end of our life, we will be judged on love."
St. John of the Cross

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence