Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Group Forums > Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans

Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans Click here to visit this social group

Old Jul 10, '12, 6:10 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Feeding & Entertaining Guests

This is the time of year company and family often visit. While my husband and I try to stick to vegan diets and don't mind eating and trying "weird" stuff, I find it frustrating to put together appropriate company luncheons and dinners. What usually happens is I resort to getting some kind of meat or at least animal products like eggs and cheese. I'm definitely not confident in serving guests our daily fare. And sometimes preparing vegan dishes from the ground up consumes more time than I have.

Do others share this frustration? Do you have "company" recipes that appeal to all?

It would be wonderful to have a repertoire of 3-6 delicious vegan company dishes to dazzle the taste buds of non-vegetarians.
Any ideas are welcome.

Old Jul 11, '12, 12:21 am

Religion: One Happy Catholic!
Default Re: Feeding & Entertaining Guests

Veggie chili
Eggplant and tomato stew
Vegetarian Shepherd's pie
Veggie Lasagna (sub tofu for ricotta)
Black bean enchiladas
veggie fajitas
quinoa stuffed bell peppers
pasta/polenta/baked potato bar
Chana Masala
Old Jul 12, '12, 7:38 am

Thank you enbell. Great suggestions. Will seek these recipes out and try them. I'm curious about a pasta/polenta/baked potatoe bar. What would that look like?
I'm afraid part of my frustration is not enjoying cooking. And getting a little paranoid when I think of company.
God Bless your day with every good.

Old Jul 13, '12, 10:24 am

Hi Anna
For the pasta I would boil noodles, and have them ready to serve(maybe keep in a pot on the stove to keep warm) with a variety of sauces for your guests to choose from (marinara, pesto, alfredo ect.).

Polenta would be the same for the most part, you can top it with both sweet and savory, but sometimes having a buffet style set-up is both fun and sometimes better for guests who are picky or have allergies. Have you cooked polenta before? It's really easy!

Baked potatoes and sweet potatoes again would be done ahead of time, and maybe wrap in foil to keep warm in a serving dish with toppings like veggie chili, salsa, blanched broccoli and cauliflower, diced tomatoes, and green onions and cheese and sour cream for the lacto-ovos.

You mentioned cooking isn't your favorite - I'm definitely not a world-class cook, but I love trying new things. I think the most important thing to keep in mind is to not be afraid to make a mistake or to not have a dish work out as you expected. Epicurious.com, chow.com, and fatfreevegan.com are the websites I use most frequently for tips and ideas. Good luck and keep asking questions if you need (but honestly I don't know that much)!
Old Jan 10, '13, 12:06 pm

Religion: Jewish, Joining upcoming RCIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaAnna View Post
This is the time of year company and family often visit. While my husband and I try to stick to vegan diets and don't mind eating and trying "weird" stuff, I find it frustrating to put together appropriate company luncheons and dinners. What usually happens is I resort to getting some kind of meat or at least animal products like eggs and cheese. I'm definitely not confident in serving guests our daily fare. And sometimes preparing vegan dishes from the ground up consumes more time than I have.

Do others share this frustration? Do you have "company" recipes that appeal to all?

It would be wonderful to have a repertoire of 3-6 delicious vegan company dishes to dazzle the taste buds of non-vegetarians.
Any ideas are welcome.
The two things that I can always make that everyone loves (even meat-eaters) is Soyrizo tacos and fried Tempeh with sweet chili sauce.

Soyrizo is the veg version of chorizo, and it's absolutely delicious! Fry it up (needs no oil, etc) and serve on healthy tortillas with good salsa and veggies and it's awesome.

Fry tempeh (any kind you like) in safflower oil and serve with the sweet chili sauce. It's very filling and is good for people with a sweet tooth.
Old Jan 10, '13, 10:54 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozzarella View Post
The two things that I can always make that everyone loves (even meat-eaters) is Soyrizo tacos and fried Tempeh with sweet chili sauce.

Soyrizo is the veg version of chorizo, and it's absolutely delicious! Fry it up (needs no oil, etc) and serve on healthy tortillas with good salsa and veggies and it's awesome.

Fry tempeh (any kind you like) in safflower oil and serve with the sweet chili sauce. It's very filling and is good for people with a sweet tooth.
love these ideas....

I also get the frozen mushroom meatballs - put them in a marinara sauce - or teryiki sauce -- toothpicks --- the veggie egg rolls at trader joes are vegan cut in half and serve with the sweet chili sauce -- I make a quick pesto --- basil, garlic, pine nuts, olive oil and nutritional yeast --- slice pieces of bagette, spread with a little 'better than cream cheese' add pesto and sun dried tomatoes -- I am going to try this recipe: http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/tha...1-4601dbfbcddf - going to use the better than cream cheese -
http://forums.catholic.com/group.php?groupid=488
Old Jan 11, '13, 5:44 am

Religion: Jewish, Joining upcoming RCIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4elise View Post
love these ideas....

I also get the frozen mushroom meatballs - put them in a marinara sauce - or teryiki sauce -- toothpicks --- the veggie egg rolls at trader joes are vegan cut in half and serve with the sweet chili sauce -- I make a quick pesto --- basil, garlic, pine nuts, olive oil and nutritional yeast --- slice pieces of bagette, spread with a little 'better than cream cheese' add pesto and sun dried tomatoes -- I am going to try this recipe: http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/tha...1-4601dbfbcddf - going to use the better than cream cheese -
I've never tried the "Better than Cream Cheese" before. Be sure to post how it is!
Old Jan 11, '13, 6:55 pm

I have never understood the appeal of faux meat, can you explain? Thanks! Erin
Old Jan 14, '13, 3:41 am
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by enbell View Post
I have never understood the appeal of faux meat, can you explain? Thanks! Erin
Speaking for myself, and I may guess perhaps for some others:
for those of use who came late (on the other side of 45) to vegetarian / vegan - we are accustomed to eating certain things: meatballs, burgers, tacos, so - we are able to continue to enjoy these things without all the other issues of: animal cruelty, pollution, sustainability, or health concerns that are tied to eating the same things made with animal products.

I think it is great if you are able to make your meals around whole foods, and do not make them similar to those you may have enjoyed in the past... I know that if something is 'too real', or too much like real meat - I don't like it anymore --- so perhaps the longer one is away from a previous diet.
Old Jan 14, '13, 10:23 pm

Smile Re: Feeding & Entertaining Guests

What a thoughtful response - thank you!!
Old Jan 16, '13, 7:08 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozzarella View Post
I've never tried the "Better than Cream Cheese" before. Be sure to post how it is!
I made this recipe - and really needed to adapt the spread - it was pretty flavorless using the recipe - so I added: a splash or two of Thai sweet chili sauce, pepper flakes, juice of a lime, and then it was GREAT and BEAUTIFUL!!

I will be making it again - I need to remember to take a photo to post - super easy to put together - I had everything diced up so it was just a matter of assembly.

God Bless you on this Wonderful Wednesday!
Old Jan 17, '13, 6:18 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

We have something we call Hunter's stew. It is a vegan version of a meat dish.
Basically seitan and soy steaks in mushroom sauce (with white wine if you like it that way), served with gnocchi or pasta, special kind of wide cut noodles, and some fresh salad.

Our guests really like it.

Also any kind of steaks (vegan, of course), with oven baked potatoes, a salad we call French in my country (although it actually has nothing to do with France; it's cubed potatoes and carrots, peas and corn, all cooked, drained and left to cool, mixed with cubed pickled cucumbers in a dressing of mayo, vegan yogurt, vegan cooking cream and pinch of salt), and any fresh salad again.

If you have time to make a veggie soup and fresh bread, it's amazing, and vegan cakes you can find online easily.

We never prepare anything non-vegan, and these two are safe bets for us.

But personally, I didn't stop eating meat because I thought it didn't taste nice, I liked the taste of meat. For me some of the meat "replacements" are a way to get a similar taste without the ethical nightmare which meat represents for me.
I love the taste of veggies, but sometimes I need something a little different.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Group Forums > Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans