Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 23, '12, 8:38 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic
Default Purgatory and the Resurrection

At the final Resurrection, when all will be judged and Purgatory will be emptied, what will happen to those who are in Purgatory but are not finished paying their debt yet? And even more curiously, what will happen to those who have temporal debt still unpaid but live on earth still, yet are in a state of grace, and who would have gone to Purgatory, except the Resurrection is happening all of the sudden? Will the entirety of the rest of their debt be forgiven and they granted immediate entrance into Heaven?
Old Jun 23, '12, 9:35 pm
Banned

Religion: Raised Catholic
Default Re: Purgatory and the Resurrection

Nothing/no one unholy can be in God's presence so God will allow for his children the opportunity to undergo temporal punishment and spiritual purification. Perhaps he will let Purgatory subsist until the last elect soul departs from there and it ceases to be necessary.
Old Jun 23, '12, 9:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdegutis View Post
At the final Resurrection, when all will be judged and Purgatory will be emptied, what will happen to those who are in Purgatory but are not finished paying their debt yet? And even more curiously, what will happen to those who have temporal debt still unpaid but live on earth still, yet are in a state of grace, and who would have gone to Purgatory, except the Resurrection is happening all of the sudden? Will the entirety of the rest of their debt be forgiven and they granted immediate entrance into Heaven?
I know our Lady of Fatima said that one soul is in Purgatory until the End of the World. As for the other questions, I know not. I have a feeling that if you are in a State of Grace at the End of the World, you will go to heaven immediately, so if I'm wrong, someone better correct me.
Old Jun 24, '12, 5:07 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdegutis View Post
Obviously when God empties Purgatory that means everyone is purified. Its not we who decide how long anyone should spend in Purgatory. That is for God alone to decide.
Old Jun 24, '12, 6:14 pm
Banned

Religion: Raised Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquiringperson View Post
I know our Lady of Fatima said that one soul is in Purgatory until the End of the World. As for the other questions, I know not. I have a feeling that if you are in a State of Grace at the End of the World, you will go to heaven immediately, so if I'm wrong, someone better correct me.
I've always been mildly confused about the End of the world. Is that synonymous with end of time? If the Antichrist's short-lived reign happens right before the Final Judgement, perhaps his persecution of Christians will be their Purgatory, temporal punishment will no longer be required to satisfy God's justice.
Old Jun 24, '12, 7:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertanthony View Post
I've always been mildly confused about the End of the world. Is that synonymous with end of time? If the Antichrist's short-lived reign happens right before the Final Judgement, perhaps his persecution of Christians will be their Purgatory, temporal punishment will no longer be required to satisfy God's justice.
I think so. Someone better correct me if I'm wrong. *hint, hint thistle*

Edit: These will help you.
http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p1s2c2a7.htm
http://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/endtimes.htm
Old Jun 25, '12, 7:02 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquiringperson View Post
I think so. Someone better correct me if I'm wrong. *hint, hint thistle*

Edit: These will help you.
http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p1s2c2a7.htm
http://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/endtimes.htm
Old Jun 25, '12, 7:16 pm

Religion: Catholic->Atheist->Catholic

We can't assume that purgatory involves an element of time, especially earth time.
Old Jun 25, '12, 7:20 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarflemike View Post
We can't assume that purgatory involves an element of time, especially earth time.
Yes, all we know for sure is that involves purification.
Old Jun 27, '12, 7:23 am
Forum Master
Radio Club Member

Dovetailing on the last 2 posts:
The transforming 'moment' of this encounter [of Purgatory] cannot be quantified by the measurements of earthly time. It is, indeed, not eternal but a transition, and yet trying to qualify it as of 'short' or 'long' duration on the basis of temporal measurements derived from physics would be naive and unproductive. The 'temporal measure' of this encounter lies in the unsoundable depths of existence, in a passing-over where we are burned ere we are transformed. To measure such Existenzzeit, such an 'existential time,' in terms of the time of this world would be to ignore the specificity of the human spirit in its simultaneous relationship with, and differentation from, the world. (Cardinal Ratzinger (now Pope Benedict), Eschatology, p. 230-231)
As the other posters noted, and as Cardinal Ratzinger said in his book, the permanent doctrine centers on the purification that takes place in Purgatory. Aspects of "time" or "location" regarding Purgatory are not part of the permanent dogma but theological opinions.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics