Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 8, '12, 4:41 pm

Religion: Catholic by way of Luther and the Cof E
Default Just had to say my hat is off to I'll Have Another owners.

As a horse owner and lover one who rescued and rehabilitated an off the track Thoroughbred from a broken leg. She needed 3 years to rehab. I take my hat off to the owners of I'll Have Another for pulling him from the Belmont. To chose the health and welfare of the horse and jockey over the potential millions and historic accolades by choosing to to gamble and run him tomorrow is a heart warming thing to hear and goes to show that the owners are not a bunch of $$$ hungry people who do not care about the animals they run at all.
I just listened to the owner tell of the vet's report that they 'could have run him' but at a risk. A tough decision considering the stakes.

Last edited by Maryann C; Jun 8, '12 at 4:43 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Jun 8, '12, 4:43 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Just had to say my hat is off to I'll Have Another owners.

You need a news article. Here's one:

http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/trip...t-trainer-says

"To love for the sake of being loved is human; to love for the sake of loving is Angelic." -- Alphonse de Lamartine
Old Jun 8, '12, 6:59 pm

Religion: Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryann C View Post
As a horse owner and lover one who rescued and rehabilitated an off the track Thoroughbred from a broken leg. She needed 3 years to rehab. I take my hat off to the owners of I'll Have Another for pulling him from the Belmont. To chose the health and welfare of the horse and jockey over the potential millions and historic accolades by choosing to to gamble and run him tomorrow is a heart warming thing to hear and goes to show that the owners are not a bunch of $$$ hungry people who do not care about the animals they run at all.
I just listened to the owner tell of the vet's report that they 'could have run him' but at a risk. A tough decision considering the stakes.
But God does not take away life; instead He devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from Him. II Samuel 14:14

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people. Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel
Old Jun 8, '12, 8:09 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suudy View Post

Thanks for the link.

Smart move by the owners. May he sire many good horses.
Old Jun 8, '12, 8:41 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Jewish

Quote:
Now "I'll Have Another" can retire undefeated. But if they had run him despite the injury, wouldn't it most likely have resulted in a poor performance?
Old Jun 9, '12, 12:00 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: catholic

i am an animal lover too and i was so happy to hear that the owners put the heath and well being of this horse ahead of the money they could have made running him in the race.
i hate to read the stories or see the videos of horses that are injured during the race and have to be put down later. i don't go to circuses anymore or attend greyhound racing because i just don't agree of the treatment of the animals. i won't even watch horse racing anymore and i used to love to watch the kentucky derby and the preakness and the belmont stakes. so hats off to the owners and may I'll Have Another live a long life.
DO NOT BE OVERCOME BY EVIL, BUT OVERCOME EVIL WITH GOOD. ~~~ Romans 12:21
Old Jun 9, '12, 6:35 am

I was so shocked to hear the news that I'll Have Another was scratched from the Belmont Stakes due to injury! I was so looking forward to seeing him race for the Triple Crown! I did read, though, on the Sports Illustrated / CNN site that he and his jockey Mario Gutierrez were going to lead the post parade of the other horses to the starting gate. I think that's nice; there'll probably be a lot of tear-filled eyes in the stands when that happens....what might have been....

But I think it was best that the trainer, owners and vets decided to retire him and let him rest his injury. I don't like to see race horses put their lives at risk on the track (remembering recent history with Eight Belles at the Kentucky Derby, and Barbaro at the Preakness).

I was watching several YouTube videos of Secretariat's 31-length victory in the 1973 Belmont, which won for him the Triple Crown. Even after all these years, it STILL gives me goosebumps! What a race! What a magnificent creature of God he was!

May I'll Have Another (love that name....it refers to 'I'll have another...cookie' ) have many peaceful years in retirement, and may his offspring increase!

Last edited by barb finnegan; Jun 9, '12 at 6:36 am. Reason: delete words
Old Jun 9, '12, 7:43 am

Religion: Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltzerboy View Post
Now "I'll Have Another" can retire undefeated. But if they had run him despite the injury, wouldn't it most likely have resulted in a poor performance?
Sometimes a racehorse will run quite well despite pain if they're excited enough in the heat of the race....they can get so cranked up that they don't hear their bodies' pain signals, but just keep running with an increasingly grave breakdown in the making.
But God does not take away life; instead He devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from Him. II Samuel 14:14

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people. Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel
Old Jun 10, '12, 7:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suudy View Post

Thanks. This reiterates everything I have heard and the reason for my OP . Did you just mean that I needed news article link in my post?

Last edited by Maryann C; Jun 10, '12 at 7:59 am. Reason: Addition
Old Jun 10, '12, 8:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbideWithMe View Post
Sometimes a racehorse will run quite well despite pain if they're excited enough in the heat of the race....they can get so cranked up that they don't hear their bodies' pain signals, but just keep running with an increasingly grave breakdown in the making.
This is true , just like humans who overcome extreme pain to save a life of someone or lift a car off a person which they would normally not be able to do. It is the adrenalin. Interestingly , I also recently read that a male brain reacts to pain differently to a female brain. In a male a brain produces more aggressive hormones when pain stimuli is introduced. Which could be another reason for racehorses running through pain.
In my training of horses this has been invaluable knowledge since I own a stallion and several mares.
Old Jun 10, '12, 9:09 am

Did you watch the Secretariat movie? Lovely. The faith and tenacity of a woman was behind him!

Interestingly I have done alot of study of the methods of long term breeding for results as established especially in the horse racing industry and am trying to apply it to my little sport horse herd. Tesio, breeder of Nearco Grand sire of Nothern Dancer who most in America know of, is one of the best . Even among the very best stud prospects, no more than 25% go on to enjoy successful stud careers. A good stud is evidently a genetic freak and the sire-of-sires is more rare still. In the Thoroughbred world Nasrullah, Nearco, Northern Dancer and Seattle Slew are among a handful of noteworthy sires-of sires over the past 50 years. Only time will tell if I'll Have Another will be a valuable sire to his owners but there will be plenty of people lining up to try gamble on this stud's potential.
For anyone who is interested An immediate source of information on the Tesio philosophy can be found on theinternet www.glengarrybooks.co.nz/slides/001-slide.html

FYI I have seen reports that said that I'll Have Another was not bred for the kind of accolades that he won but I think they have forgotten the Tesio philosophy because a quick look at his pedigree here http://www.pedigreequery.com/ill+have+another2 Which is a brilliant site , you can see that in the 4th and 5th generation back you have some imprinting of some of the greatest back to Northern Dancer . It is just a few but to me it proves Tesio. Another little interesting point to note is that the I'll Have Another we know of is actually #2
Secretariat however - you can see from the same website http://www.pedigreequery.com/secretariat, broke the mould although that powerful Nearco blood was still there through his sire Bold Ruler.
Old Jun 10, '12, 10:22 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

I feel the real safety issue was for the jockey (oh how people seem to love to lift animals to human status sometimes). Had the horse raced, and had it gone down in the pack, the jockey's life would have been at real risk; however, I have not seen one person state they were relieved that the jockey's safety mattered. This culture has become animal safety obsessed to a point of not even thinking about the human that might have ridden that horse. This reminds me of a story I once heard of a person who was faced with a decision to either save a dog they loved, or save a human stranger--the person leaned toward saving the dog (a sickening reflection of how far we have strayed).

I love God's creation, which includes animals. Yet, it is sooo important for us to remember that God created ONLY humans in His image and likeness.

I say congrats to the owner for making a wise choice to protect his human jockey, while a secondary benefit is the horse remained safe.

"I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history."
Old Jun 10, '12, 10:44 am
Forum Master

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Thanks. This reiterates everything I have heard and the reason for my OP . Did you just mean that I needed news article link in my post?
If you open a thread in the two News sections,
it must be accompanied by a news link.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News