Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 10, '12, 4:38 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Living Together before Marriage in advice column

In today's Dear Abby Column (dated 6/10/2012), Abby is advising a couple to confess to their priest the reasons why they are living together before marriage. I have no idea what religion Abby is, but many of her readers' responses in the column posted on yahoo.com vary as well with many of them stating things like the priest doesn't need to know, or seek out another priest that won't have an issue with the arrangement. I am sure some of the responders are non Catholics or even Catholics that just accept certain things even if they are not morally right.

I've read on a few churches' websites in their sections about matrimony preparation that any couple living together, the priest will NOT marry them and if they want a church wedding they have to prove separate living arrangements among other things before they can begin preparation.

I know of many family members and friends who lived with their spouses before marriage. Some of them are still together, others are not. Some of them are Catholics (some practice faith, others don't), and if they told the priest if they were married in the church about their living arrangements, I have no idea & its not my business to ask them if they discussed their arrangements with the officiant ahead of time.
Old Jun 10, '12, 5:25 am

Religion: Spoony Roman Catholic
Default Re: Living Together before Marriage in advice column

I tend to avoid those columns, along with dating sims altogether.
Old Jun 10, '12, 7:38 am

Religion: Baptized in CC, Discerning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRose73 View Post
In today's Dear Abby Column (dated 6/10/2012), Abby is advising a couple to confess to their priest the reasons why they are living together before marriage. I have no idea what religion Abby is, but many of her readers' responses in the column posted on yahoo.com vary as well with many of them stating things like the priest doesn't need to know, or seek out another priest that won't have an issue with the arrangement. I am sure some of the responders are non Catholics or even Catholics that just accept certain things even if they are not morally right.

I've read on a few churches' websites in their sections about matrimony preparation that any couple living together, the priest will NOT marry them and if they want a church wedding they have to prove separate living arrangements among other things before they can begin preparation.

I know of many family members and friends who lived with their spouses before marriage. Some of them are still together, others are not. Some of them are Catholics (some practice faith, others don't), and if they told the priest if they were married in the church about their living arrangements, I have no idea & its not my business to ask them if they discussed their arrangements with the officiant ahead of time.
Call me nuts, but a more charitable approach would be to marry those who are in sin. That way, they get out of the sinful condition. Is this too logical for the Church to accept?
Old Jun 10, '12, 8:10 am

Religion: Catholic Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epan View Post
Call me nuts, but a more charitable approach would be to marry those who are in sin. That way, they get out of the sinful condition. Is this too logical for the Church to accept?
No, it's not. In fact, that is the Catholic Church's policy.

I've read that there are certain limitations placed on the wedding of a cohabiting couple, but on no occasion will a priest faithful to the standards of the Church flat-out refuse to witness the marriage of such a couple.

I saw a Q&A video once of an event with Cardinal Arinze, the Prefect Emeritus of the Congregation for Divine Worship, and he said in no uncertain terms that the Church would seek to do all in her power to get such a couple into the Married state.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life