Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 1, '10, 12:48 am

Religion: United Methodist
Send a message via MSN to Grace Seeker Send a message via Yahoo to Grace Seeker
Default World Communion Sunday

This Sunday many local churches will celebrate World Communion Sunday. Do Catholics?

If so, given that protestants are seen as "seperated bretheren" what is understood by it.

If not, given that members of other ecclesiastical bodies are still recognized as brethern (even if seperated) and generally can become members of the Catholic Church and have their baptism recognized as valid, then why not?
Old Oct 1, '10, 6:20 am

Religion: catholic
Default Re: World Communion Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Seeker View Post
This Sunday many local churches will celebrate World Communion Sunday. Do Catholics?

If so, given that protestants are seen as "seperated bretheren" what is understood by it.

If not, given that members of other ecclesiastical bodies are still recognized as brethern (even if seperated) and generally can become members of the Catholic Church and have their baptism recognized as valid, then why not?
This SUnday in the United States is Respect Life Sunday.
Old Oct 1, '10, 6:34 am

Religion: Catholic

Quote:

First, no. Catholics do not celebrate "World Communion Sunday" For Catholics, every Sunday is a "Communion Sunday."

Communion is two things, which cannot be seperated from each other. It is both the Body & Blood of Christ and it is the "communion" (ie, community, unity, etc.) of the Church. As Catholics, we cannot share in the Sacrament of Communion unless we also share in ecclesial Communion, as these two are one-and-the-same.

Another reason why we cannot share in "communion" with non-Catholics is that (with the exception of the Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, and Polish Nationals), non-Catholic services which remember the Lord's Supper are not Communion in the Catholic definition of the word.
Old Oct 1, '10, 9:55 pm

I appreciate the information.

Since you do not participate in World Communion Sunday, perhaps you are unfamilar with it. The purpose of the day is not to highlight the celebration of Holy Communion. As you say, every Sunday is a Communion Sunday. Nor is it to suggest that we are all of one communion and that the barriers that exist between different ecclesiastical bodies can be suddenly made to disappear so that members who the week before were unable to commune at each others tables are somehow able to on this particular day (though some of us might wish for such a miracle, but I digress).

Rather, the day is a celebration that despite our many varied and real differences, and instead of fault finding, naming and blaming others for seperateness that exists in the body of Christ, that we focus on what we have in common. That each of us, in our own respective churches, lift up the unity of the body of Christ in whom we find that whether Catholic, Orthodox, Lutheran, Methodist, Presbyterian or Pentecostal we are still all brothers in Christ.

In another forum I shared my understanding of the significance of this day with some Muslim friends, saying: "we recognize the existence of our brothers and sisters in other denominations as being one in Christ."

However one Muslim poster responded:
Quote:
That is your personal view because you are a methodist. I'm sure most other christians like catholics think you are a heretic.
Please, tell me that you aren't going to prove him right. Are we that divided that we can't even recognize the presence of Christ in one another any more?
Old Oct 1, '10, 10:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joannm View Post
This SUnday in the United States is Respect Life Sunday.
I thought that was celebrated in January.

Regardless, I don't believe that the two are mutually exclusive. Given on 52 Sundays a year and many more things than that we choose to celebrate or recognize, there are often multiple themes for any given Sunday.
Old Oct 1, '10, 10:56 pm

Quote:
Please, tell me that you aren't going to prove him right. Are we that divided that we can't even recognize the presence of Christ in one another any more?
No, I for one have a lot of respect for Wesleyan Methodism and particularly for Wesley's teachings on Christian perfection. The UMC was an important stop for me on the road to Rome.

With that said, the Eucharist is a sensitive issue, even within the UMC. The reaction to the current UMC position on Communion as set forth in This Holy Mystery has been mixed. Even after that document, some parishes view the Eucharistic presence as real, others as symbolic.
Old Oct 2, '10, 7:51 am

Quote:

Since you do not participate in World Communion Sunday, perhaps you are unfamilar with it. The purpose of the day is not to highlight the celebration of Holy Communion. As you say, every Sunday is a Communion Sunday. Nor is it to suggest that we are all of one communion and that the barriers that exist between different ecclesiastical bodies can be suddenly made to disappear so that members who the week before were unable to commune at each others tables are somehow able to on this particular day (though some of us might wish for such a miracle, but I digress).

Rather, the day is a celebration that despite our many varied and real differences, and instead of fault finding, naming and blaming others for seperateness that exists in the body of Christ, that we focus on what we have in common. That each of us, in our own respective churches, lift up the unity of the body of Christ in whom we find that whether Catholic, Orthodox, Lutheran, Methodist, Presbyterian or Pentecostal we are still all brothers in Christ.

In another forum I shared my understanding of the significance of this day with some Muslim friends, saying: "we recognize the existence of our brothers and sisters in other denominations as being one in Christ."

It's quite a leap to say that Catholics do not "recognize the presence of Christ in one another" because we hold to the Eucharistic doctrines that we have received from Christ through the Apostles.

Focusing on what we have in common is not a goal in and of itself, but a means to an end--that end being the restoration of unity that existed before Martin Luther.

To understand the Church's position on this matter, I would suggest the Vatican II Decree UNITATIS REDINTEGRATIO (restoration of unity).
http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_c...gratio_en.html
Old Oct 2, '10, 8:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrDavid96 View Post
It's quite a leap to say that Catholics do not "recognize the presence of Christ in one another" because we hold to the Eucharistic doctrines that we have received from Christ through the Apostles.
I didn't say it. I was hoping that you weren't saying that, and it appears that you weren't. I'm glad for tthat.

Quote:
Focusing on what we have in common is not a goal in and of itself, but a means to an end--that end being the restoration of unity that existed before Martin Luther.
I agree that focusing on what we have in common is not a goal in and of itself. I disagree that the desired end is simply the sort of ecclesiastical unity that existed before Martin Luther. I'm much more interested spiritual unity.

Quote:
To understand the Church's position on this matter, I would suggest the Vatican II Decree UNITATIS REDINTEGRATIO (restoration of unity).
http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_c...gratio_en.html
Though I never could have identified it on my own, now that you point it out I remember actually reading parts of that document in the past. Sadly, its opening, "The restoration of unity among all Christians is one of the principal concerns of the Second Vatican Council. Christ the Lord founded one Church and one Church only." sets my teeth on edge as in it I hear the Catholic church implying as true things that I do not hold to be in fact true. But we do not need to go into that further, you've answered my question(s). Thanks.
Old Oct 2, '10, 8:43 am

Quote:

The Catholic Church at the Vatican level continually meets with the representatives of the mainline Protestant Churches along with the Anglicans and the Orthodox. This never gets much press but is ongoing. Ecumenical events and meetings also occur at a local Archdiocese level at various times throughout the year (at least here in Los Angeles).
Old Oct 2, '10, 10:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCatholic View Post
The Catholic Church at the Vatican level continually meets with the representatives of the mainline Protestant Churches along with the Anglicans and the Orthodox. This never gets much press but is ongoing. Ecumenical events and meetings also occur at a local Archdiocese level at various times throughout the year (at least here in Los Angeles).
As my English teacher used to say: TBDAQ. True But Doesn't Address Question.

BTW, I have no problem with the ecumenicity of the Catholic church, at least on the local level. I've never met a priest or a congregation that didn't cooperate with other Christian congregations and pastors.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics