Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Philosophy

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 15, '12, 10:30 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How to refute this argument?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Anthony View Post
Actually, austenboston and Gorgias are right. As is Ludqig Von Mises.

Mises's problem is that he doesn't realize that theistic philosophers like St. Thomas Aquinas would cheerfully accept the premise!

Read article 1, "Whether there is will in God?" It addresses Von Mises's issue.

Gorgias is right. God does not "act". He is, technically speaking, PURE act. Instead, he wills.
Sorry, I forgot to put a link. By "article 1" I was referring to this section of the "Summa Theologica":

http://www.newadvent.org/summa/1019.htm

"The image of Christ," grated the monsignor, surprised at his own sudden anger. "What did you expect me to see?"
Old Jul 15, '12, 11:41 pm

Religion: Catholic/Philosopher

Well, in a sense it is true. God does not decide "I am not happy with things", and therefore, get up, and 'act' to change them.

God is being. The world is not being, but only 'becoming'. It is therefore the world which acts (in the sense of changes from one action to another, initiates an action, etc.). But it does so in relation to a teleology (which is being, i.e. God). Therefore, it appears as if God acts.

Yes the image of God 'acting', is an anthropomorphism. But, why not anthopomorphism? All our language about God is figurative and 'images'. Anthropomorphism seems like an effective image.
Old Jul 16, '12, 3:11 am
Trial Membership

Post Re: How to refute this argument?

Philosophy can told its ans batter.i think so its not a difficult.
Old Jul 16, '12, 8:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusAndreas View Post
Libertarian philosopher Ludwig von Mises argued that God does not act because only discontented beings act, and attributing action to God is an anthropomorphism. I know this is an absurd argument but I can't figure out how to refute it.
Although the question has been addressed, I'll address it again for fun. It's really not so absurd an argument. Let's not worry about the fact that Mises was not a christian--that does not make him automatically wrong! I think, perhaps, it's important to evaluate the inverse. This might help for understanding the concept

If a being were perfectly content, what need would it have to act? Any action by any being can be said to represent be an attempt at change. If the aforementioned content being is attempting to change anything, how can we claim he is truly content? Either he is intentionally attempting to dissatisfy himself--which in itself represents a discontentment with his own feelings of perfect content--and to interrupt his otherwise perfect situation, or he is not perfectly content in his current state.

The argument has been made that we can act while content with the purpose of greater happiness, yet this state is not without discontent. I can hold this contentment while at the same being discontent with the fact that abortion is illegal, for example. This discontentment would likely cause me to act against it.

As for the difference between acting/willing, I'll leave you to the very capable hands of Marc Anthony and austenbosten. Apologies if my explanation is unclear or lacking.
Old Jul 16, '12, 10:31 am
Observing Member

Religion: Western Philosophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgias View Post
In a manner of speaking, he's right. God doesn't act, per se. (Action implies prior inaction, and stimulus, and response, doesn't it? And that would imply change within the actor, wouldn't it?)

Instead, it's more accurate to say that God wills. His will is eternal and unchanging. Moreover, anything that we perceive of, within the confines of time & space, as being an 'action' of God, is instead, in fact, an example of God's eternal will being actualized in the framework of His creation.

So, would we say that God 'waited', and then 'acted' in 1 A.D., causing the incarnation of His Son? Nope. Rather, God willed the Incarnation eternally. We experienced the Incarnation, as time-and-space bound humans, as an event that occurred at that point in time.

Hope that helps...!
Spot on. The argument is refuted by rejecting the givens. If the premiss on which the assertion lies, is not shared, then the framework of the discussion in question should be rejected; never mind the conclusion.

Example: "Since all Catholics are actually pagan heathens, they all should burn in hell"

Now, if one was to focus on trying to rescue the reputation of the Catholic faith by trying explain why heathens shouldn't burn in hell, rather than Saying: "I reject the givens, Catholicism is not populated by heretics ( mostly)" then the defense would be unintelligible.
Old Jul 16, '12, 1:50 pm

I see where y'all are going with this. One of the key things that should be mentioned which I haven't is von Mises's definition of action, the problem is I'm not entirely sure what he means by it.

I think I might be getting way too bent out of shape by the man's argument, considering he was a theological, philosophical, historical, and economic (oh yes, I went there) illiterate.
Old Jul 16, '12, 1:54 pm
Account Under Review

Religion: Baptized and confirmed Easter Vigil, 2012

Quote:
Libertarian philosopher Ludwig von Mises argued that God does not act because only discontented beings act, and attributing action to God is an anthropomorphism. I know this is an absurd argument but I can't figure out how to refute it.
Strictly speaking, this is true, but not for the right reasons. God does not "act" in the sense that we mean -- i.e., doing this and then doing that. This would imply that God is not entirely present to Himself.

God's action in the world is one single, continuous act of love, manifesting itself in different ways in different times and places. Actually, there cannot even be a distinction between God and his actions for Him to satisfy the demands of unlimited being: He must actually be that single, unlimited, continuous act of love.

Presumably von Mises (an idiot) meant this argument to support deism.
Old Jul 16, '12, 1:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgias View Post
In a manner of speaking, he's right. God doesn't act, per se. (Action implies prior inaction, and stimulus, and response, doesn't it? And that would imply change within the actor, wouldn't it?)

Instead, it's more accurate to say that God wills. His will is eternal and unchanging. Moreover, anything that we perceive of, within the confines of time & space, as being an 'action' of God, is instead, in fact, an example of God's eternal will being actualized in the framework of His creation.

So, would we say that God 'waited', and then 'acted' in 1 A.D., causing the incarnation of His Son? Nope. Rather, God willed the Incarnation eternally. We experienced the Incarnation, as time-and-space bound humans, as an event that occurred at that point in time.
Very good. God bless
Hope that helps...!

If you keep my commandments, you are my disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.
Old Jul 16, '12, 3:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw85 View Post
Strictly speaking, this is true, but not for the right reasons. God does not "act" in the sense that we mean -- i.e., doing this and then doing that. This would imply that God is not entirely present to Himself.

God's action in the world is one single, continuous act of love, manifesting itself in different ways in different times and places. Actually, there cannot even be a distinction between God and his actions for Him to satisfy the demands of unlimited being: He must actually be that single, unlimited, continuous act of love.

Very well said!

"The image of Christ," grated the monsignor, surprised at his own sudden anger. "What did you expect me to see?"
Old Jul 17, '12, 8:30 am

The trouble with this argument is that it concludes that having a purpose for acting/willing means being discontent/dissatisfied.

Not only is this a pessimistic view of thinking, but given this line of thinking, one can never resolve the following paradox of faith: God is eternally perfectly content, yet God acts/wills creation, even purposes it.
My intentions for sharing these understandings is to grow myself and others closer to God - The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit and Catholicism, AND to subject these reflections to harsh criticisms regarding alignment with Catholicism, for it is the Truth.
Old Jul 17, '12, 9:30 am
Banned

Religion: Lutheran in RCIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw85 View Post

Presumably von Mises (an idiot) meant this argument to support deism.
How is Ludwig von Mises an idiot, if I might ask?
Old Jul 17, '12, 9:31 am

Quote:
What is the basis for asserting that only discontented beings act? I think his assertion is wrong. He does not give any proof for his assertion.

Love for example leads to action. When you love someone you want to show your love. You are not "discontented"

You can also get to much more complicated ideas. What exactly is meant by action? God is existence itself. God is action. In his Being, God acts. The assumption is that God is static and would only be moved to action to accomplish something in order to fix some state of affairs that he was unhappy about. But what if instead of being static, God's resting state is actually acting. The universe exists, and continues to exist because of God's action. He maintains the universe by doing it. The universe and everything in it is an on going action of God. The second God stops doing the universe, the universe disappears. But such a thing can not happen because time only exists in the universe. God does not exist in time, time exists in God.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Philosophy