Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 24, '12, 6:04 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Idleness: the Devil’s Workshop

Idleness is the workshop of the devil. If we do not have anything to do then surely the devil will give us a lot do. St. John Bosco feared the vacation days for his boys because there was simply too much free time on their hands. The saint called vacation time the “harvest time of the devil”. St. Bonaventure described it in this way: “When we are busy at work, one devil may tempt us; however, when we have nothing to do, then an army of devils are knocking at the door of our hearts.” Couch potatoes vegetate but never blossom and flourish!

Without a doubt, one of the best Biblical examples of the danger of laziness, sloth and indolence is in the example of the “Sin of David.” How could such a holy man of God, poet, mystic, Shepherd of the house of Israel, composer of most of the Psalms and (not to mention) “a man after the heart of God,” fall into adultery and, worse yet, the plotting of the murder of an innocent man? How could this all happen? It all started with Kind David shirking his responsibilities as king and military leader of the Israelites. He should have been leading his soldiers to victory. Instead, smug complacency, pride, and laziness got the best of him.

David had no plans, no goals set, too much free time on his hands, and took a long SIESTA! From here, he gave free rein to his eyes, lusting over Bathsheba and committing adultery with her. His sin snowballed to the point of placing Urias—the husband of Bathsheba—on the front line of battle in hopes of an untimely death. And it worked! Laziness can lead to serious sins–even murder!

Adolph Tanquery superbly defines sloth in these words: “Sloth is an inclination to idleness or at least aimlessness, to apathy in action. At times this is a morbid disposition due to poor condition of health. More frequently it is a disease of the will, which fears effort and recoils from it. The slothful want to escape all exertion, whatever might interfere with their comfort or involve fatigue. Like the real parasite, they live on others to whatever extent they can. Tractable and submissive as long as no one interferes with them, they become surly and peevish when one would rouse them from their inaction.” (The Spiritual Life, Tanquery # 884) .

Keenly aware of the danger of sloth and the poisonous influence in our lives if we succumb to this proclivity, what then can we do? What might be our strategy or game plan so as to avoid being a slave to laziness? Behold the remedy!
Old Jun 24, '12, 6:04 am

Default Re: Idleness: the Devil’s Workshop

1. PRAYER/HOLY SPIRIT. Indeed sloth is a sickness of a weak and anemic soul, whose relationship with God is weak and mediocre, like smoldering coals turning to an ash heap! The Holy Spirit sets our hearts on fire and extinguishes sloth. For that reason Jesus exclaimed: “I have come to cast fire and I am not at peace until that fire be ignited.” May the Holy Spirit burn away the dregs of sloth in our hearts!

2. MEDITATE ON THE FOUR LAST THINGS: DEATH, JUDGMENT, HEAVEN AND HELL! The Ignatian meditation on the “Four Last Things” can serve as a most efficacious tool to extricate our hearts from the quicksand of sloth. Every day we should call to mind our mortality—one day we will die and we know neither the day nor the hour! Then, judgment follows immediately. Paul states, “What we sow is what we will reap.” Hopefully we will go before the Lord with our hands, minds and hearts full of works of charity towards our neighbor. HEAVEN OR HELL! One of the most striking parables of Jesus (Lk. 16) is that of Lazarus and the Rich man (Dives). Lazarus, the poor man, dies and goes to heaven. Dives, the rich man, dies and goes to hell! Why, then, did the rich man go to hell? It was not for what he did; rather, he was condemned for what he failed to do, a sin of omission. The rich man miserably failed to see Jesus truly present in Lazarus the poor man, who was really Jesus in disguise!

3. PLAN OF LIFE AND GOALS. All of us should have two sets of goals: long term goals and short term. A long term goal might be to go to school to become a doctor or to the seminary to become a priest. A short term goal is what you strive to accomplish on a weekly or even daily basis. These short term goals can be of many sizes and shapes, but a few examples might be: daily Mass, daily Rosary, daily Holy Hour, visit a sick person, clean the house, clean the house of my soul (a good confession), a half an hour of spiritual reading to finish that “spiritual classic.” With goals in mind, the devil of laziness is put at bay! Every morning write down objectives; at night check to see if they were accomplished!

4. FRATERNAL CHARITY! The most important virtue in the spiritual life is that of charity—both love of God and neighbor. Look at the cross. The vertical refers to our love of God and the horizontal, our love of neighbor. Due to laziness, we deprive our neighbor of many graces and blessings that he would have otherwise received. That is why St. Therese points out: “When somebody does good, the whole world is lifted closer to heaven; when one does evil, the world sinks down.” May it be our goal—on a daily basis—to do as much good as we can to motivate and edify our neighbor to do the same!
Old Jun 24, '12, 6:05 am

5. JOY! We all know from sad experience that when we give into any vice, but especially that of sloth, then afterwards we feel sad, depressed, disheartened, and discouraged! On the contrary, after a hard days’ work, goals set and accomplished, with order, method, as well as purity of intention, then we lay our head to the pillow at night and can say to the Lord: “Jesus, thank you! Due to your grace and constant help, much was accomplished today. Good night Lord! Tomorrow, I will be even more generous with you. Lord Jesus, with the help of Mary, Our Lady of fair love, and fervent charity, I want to conquer the world for your Heart. O Lord, you came to set the world on fire. Take me from your sheath and launch me into the world as a fiery arrow of love!
Old Jun 24, '12, 7:40 pm

Religion: Catholic

There is a time to work and a time to rest.

I think I struggle with idleness and lack of goals sometimes. I would like someone to pray for me.
Old Jun 25, '12, 2:18 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278

I really don't know what to do about my sin of slothfulness. I am disabled and so I have a lot of time on my hands. I usually spend my days browsing the internet and visiting with friends.

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal
Old Jun 25, '12, 4:46 am

Religion: catholic

I don't think he is talking about disabled people.

I agree, as a mom of four I can sa if the kids aren't occupied in something productive, they start bickering and fighting. I feel my best when productive and useful. I like my vacations and enjoying Sunday's, but laziness is a sin I use too much of. When lazy it gives me time to wallow in self pity, anger, and resentment.

Thank you for posting.
Old Jun 25, '12, 7:05 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278

Quote:
Originally Posted by petitfleur View Post
I don't think he is talking about disabled people.

I agree, as a mom of four I can sa if the kids aren't occupied in something productive, they start bickering and fighting. I feel my best when productive and useful. I like my vacations and enjoying Sunday's, but laziness is a sin I use too much of. When lazy it gives me time to wallow in self pity, anger, and resentment.

Thank you for posting.
Yeah I realize that he isn't talking about disabled people but I wanted to bring it up just to get advice and information anyway. I mean, since I am disabled and have so much time on my hands it would not be sloth for me to sleep a lot or to be on the computer a lot so long as I take care of my house work and such, right?

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal
Old Jun 25, '12, 5:00 pm

I think your good. . I used to work in a Catholic facility for developmentally disabled. Many residents were quite severe in their disability, but all had some tasks to
Do daily. It is moving to think about the dignity of all human life.

I know when I was not well physically, to keep myself from self pity I spent lots of time in the prayer intention forum praying for others to keep my focus on being useful.

Every human is EQUAL in dignity, and has a purpose, you were wonderfully made dear Holly. ( I have a DD named Holly, she is my most compassionate and kindest child)
Old Jun 26, '12, 4:55 am
Veteran Member

From my experience as a first-time worker, I would actually it's more stressful to not have a job than it is to have one. The lack of purpose and accomplishment drives me insane!

On the other hand, it's also given me good reason why I need to kick back and relax after a long day of work. I'm a human being, not a robot!

New blog

Our magic is not absolute. True magic results from courage of the heart.
- Negi Springfield (Mahou Sensei Negima)
Old Jun 26, '12, 5:35 am

LW, its good to rest after a long day of work!!!! Idleness is not resting. I think when we have too much time on our hands we fall into temptations.

I try and make a point to keep the Sabbath and just enjoy the day.
Old Jun 26, '12, 2:45 pm

In my early Catholic days I used to have a "rule of life", but I had not kept one for many years until just recently. I realized how beneficial it was for me to discipline myself with a schedule of devotions and activities. I find that it is almost as beneficial as fasting is, b/c it forces me out of my complacency and comfort. And keeping a discipline is a sort of sacrifice - I mean, it's certainly more work than leaving your day free to do whatever you want. I have a tendency to think that if I don't have a rule/schedule that I'll be more open to spontaneous charity and devotions, when in reality, it just opens me up to thinking I have all this time on my hands and I end up wasting so much of it.

Wonderful reminders - thank you!!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality