Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 29, '12, 12:17 pm

Religion: Catholic,Traditionalist,Latin,Eastern Rites and proud of it!
Question Using a single decade rosary a sign of fear and shame??

Hey everyone!!

Yesterday i posted a thread on if anyone here uses a single decade rosary. In the threa, a wise poster said something like this "according to the times, it best everyone invest in a single decade rosary" meaning that if things keep going the way they do, persecution is at the doorstep . Perhaps i may sound like a pessimist, but if things keep heading the way they do, i cant conclude but anything else!! now for my question. Lets say a persecution does strike. Would me using a single decade Rosary (which is easily concealed) in public be a sign of weakness and in short "being a chicken?" instead of being bold and using a 5 decade rosary. I am not ahsamed of the GOSPEL, I am proud of JESUS, Proud of My Catholic Faith, my call, and i will be a proud Catholic to the day i die. , but would it show a sign on distrust in the LORD and shame if i were to use a single decade rosary during persecution, instead of a regular five decade rosary??

Thank you for helping everyone!!

May the SACRED HEART BLESS YOU ALL!!

J.M.J
Old Jun 29, '12, 1:21 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Using a single decade rosary a sign of fear and shame??

One of the rosaries at my home is an "Irish Penal Rosary". It is a single decade patterned after a design common during religious persecution of Catholics in Ireland.

I don't think it necessary in this time to use single decade rosaries to try to hide our faith. However, it may be good as a reminder of the "times".
Old Jun 29, '12, 1:29 pm

Religion: Irish Catholic

I don't see how anyone looking to persecuate Catholics would be misled by a one-decade Rosary, I mean it still has a crucifix.

Furthermore, from St. Peter's time to today we have examples of good Catholics practicing their faith in secret. It's only if we're called out by our persecutors that we have to say for all to hear that we're followers of Jesus Christ and His Church. Pray for the courage to hold to the Faith when it gets bad, and don't be this scrupulous now.
Old Jun 29, '12, 1:29 pm

If a time of persecution does happen in our lifetime, in our country, I'm pretty sure the authorities are onto the whole single decade rosary thing by now. I think that is a mute point. However, would it be fearful and shameful to practice our faith in secret? Under the threat of persecution I would think it would be quite brave.
Old Jun 29, '12, 2:02 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Faithful to Pope Francis~ Roman Catholic

I sometimes feel hesitant to have my 5 decade Rosary out as I can feel ppl looking at me. But I have realized to not be ashamed and it makes me want to do it even more

"O Mary conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to Thee"

Where to send your petitions -
http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=451946
Old Jun 29, '12, 2:02 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Delaine75

If it gets to the point in my lifetime where Catholics are being persecuted, I will probably just not use a rosary. I have ten fingers that do the job quite well.
Old Jun 29, '12, 2:04 pm

I use my fingers to count out decades when I'm driving! I would guess that most people use one decade rosaries because they're smaller and easier to carry. Honestly, it's not the beads that matter, it's the prayer.
Old Jun 29, '12, 2:19 pm
Prayer Warrior

I don't have a single decade Rosary, I have a ring with the image of the Divine Mercy. It was a gift from one of my benefactors and according to her it is a 3rd class Relic that has been touched to the Blessed Virgin's Mantle, St. Joseph's Cloak, and St. Maria Faustina Kowalska. Its very handy and I often pray the Rosary or the Divine Mercy and no one even knows! To them I'm just a quiet young man with his hands in his pockets.They are very useful, but one note - they are NOT meant to be jewelry, they don't usually fit around the entire finger just on part.

A very holy Augustinian Priest who is currently down in Villanova explained that his Rosary Ring belonged to his father who was an airman in WWII and since he couldn't have a full Five Decade (or even a One Decade) Rosary, he bought it from a small Parish while he was overseas. A Rosary Ring is certainly more "compact" and hard to break so long as its made of metal. Never terribly heavy and always quite comfortable.

Now, I have certainly used a 5 decade Rosary in public and I'm not ashamed of it. Just seeing it (being used properly, that is) is a great evangelizing tool. I usually used it in school. I never flaunted it but I certainly didn't shift it away. It made people ask questions. One Girl thought it very peculier that I was walking with, what she thought to be, a necklace. I explained to her that while some wear the Rosary as a necklace, they are doing so improperly and that it is a tool for prayer.

I only started to conceal my prayer after I got a lot of "pharisee" comparisons of me flaunting my faith. One fellow had the audacity to accuse me of "shoving my religion down his throat". Suffice it to say, I was quite brazen with my response!

Catholics must always remember our mortality. About a week ago we honored Thomas More and John Fisher and their martyrdom (My birthday). A humbling story I recall from John Fisher is that when he would go for dinner, he would eat all alone. One of his subordinatesonce inquired on why the esteemed Cardinal, who could always dine with the King or with other Cardinals, would dine alone. At this Fisher explained that during dinner he would stare into the eyes of a human skull. He would do this to remind himself of his mortality and to remind himself of death. I bring up this story because if we remember our mortality, our imminent death (and thus, our resurrection in Christ) is beautiful. To remind ourselves that persecution and thus martyrdom could very well be present in our society is beautiful.

Back on topic, be it a Rosary ring, a one decade Rosary, a FIVE decade Rosary, or even a TWENTY DECADE Rosary, its just important that we Pray the Rosary and leave the rest up to the Blessed Virgin Mother of God, and Our Mother.

EDIT: Here is a picture of what I'm talking about, again, mine is a bit different. It has the Divine Mercy instead of an image of the Crucifixion

Old Jun 29, '12, 2:23 pm

I'm forgetful, but I do have 10 fingers! So far...
Old Jun 29, '12, 3:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymamamary View Post
Hey everyone!!

Yesterday i posted a thread on if anyone here uses a single decade rosary. In the threa, a wise poster said something like this "according to the times, it best everyone invest in a single decade rosary" meaning that if things keep going the way they do, persecution is at the doorstep . Perhaps i may sound like a pessimist, but if things keep heading the way they do, i cant conclude but anything else!! now for my question. Lets say a persecution does strike. Would me using a single decade Rosary (which is easily concealed) in public be a sign of weakness and in short "being a chicken?" instead of being bold and using a 5 decade rosary. I am not ahsamed of the GOSPEL, I am proud of JESUS, Proud of My Catholic Faith, my call, and i will be a proud Catholic to the day i die. , but would it show a sign on distrust in the LORD and shame if i were to use a single decade rosary during persecution, instead of a regular five decade rosary??

Thank you for helping everyone!!

May the SACRED HEART BLESS YOU ALL!!
No sense in losing your head for praying the rosary with a five decade one instead of doing it with a single decade one and praying it the next day too. All Catholics should use their head, believing in God doesn't mean seeking out martyrdom. A long winter is coming after this blissful summer which has made us lazy and fat.
Old Jun 29, '12, 3:14 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278

I think it would depend on your motivation for using a single decade Rosary instead of a 5 or 20 decade Rosary. If you are using the single decade Rosary out of fear then there is nothing wrong with that but you should pray to God that He would give you courage and boldness in order to not be afraid of what may happen.

That said, I do think that persecution is at our doorstep. That is especially so if the contraceptive mandate is not ruled as unconstitutional. If it is not struck down then I would say that persecution is definitely at our doorstep. In fact, I think persecution is already occurring here in the United States but it is rather mild.

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old Jun 29, '12, 3:20 pm

Religion: Catholic,Traditionalist,Latin,Eastern Rites and proud of it!

Fr. Joseph Esper (our previous Parish Priest, a wonderful one in fact, wrote a few books and one of them was how spiritually dangerous this century has been and how we are in stage 3 of 5 in the persecution scale)

J.M.J
Old Jun 29, '12, 6:19 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

I regularly go places where I've actually been harassed for praying in public. A single decade rosary is the difference between being able to pray and not being able to pray.

Last September, France banned praying in the street. While this measure is largely aimed at Muslims who pray in large groups, in theory the ban applies to all faiths and could be enforced against a single person. Whipping out a five-decade rosary might earn me anything from an on-the-spot dressing down by the cops to a long day at the police station. No thank you.

I'm not afraid of being seen praying. I'm just not willing to accept the possible legal consequences of doing so.

Just as God's will is creation and is called "the world," so his intention is the salvation of men, and it is called "the Church."
- St. Clement of Alexandria

Old Jun 29, '12, 8:27 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278

You know, the persecution of Christians in general and especially Catholic Christians is getting much worse in many areas around the world. I honestly wonder if the great tribulation isn't just around the corner.

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old Jun 30, '12, 12:45 am

I think that the current times have to be viewed in a balanced and historical context.

There are areas of this country which, during colonial times, it was actually illegal to be Catholic (Maryland, of all places, home of the Baltimore Catechism. I remember when a huge deal was made of the fact that JFK was a Catholic candidate for US president. Around the same time, there were certain country clubs and social organizations that wouldn't accept Catholics as members.

I think we're going to have to put up with some harassment, but something tells me that it isn't going to get much worse than that, barring a whole apocalyptic scenario. But I just want to caution people about reading too much into the signs of the times: Jesus Himself said that even He does not know the time when He will return, that the Father has reserved that knowledge to Himself.

That being said, I think that the USCCB and big Catholic organizations should sue the pants off the government for any infringement on our rights to practice our religion as it has been defined through the ages by the Church.

We as Catholic laity need to be politically astute, and filter out the attempts by both extremes to court our vote. And it wouldn't hurt for those Catholics who discern a paravocation to political life to get their hats into the ring. Let's not forget that a lot of voters get turned off by single issue candidates. In other words, Catholic politicians need to highlight not only their pro-life stances, but their insistence on conformity with such things as Catholic teachings on social justice, immigration, and waging just war. (Parenthetically, I recall Colin Powell, former Secretary of State, citing Aquinas' just war doctrine almost verbatim. If he had run, he would have had my vote!)

That being said, I would continue to pray the Rosary, by whatever means necessary, as I believe the Special Forces frequently say. So break out your favorite "weapon of choice," whether it's a 22 inch sterling silver aurora borealis rosary, or your own ten fingers, and pray it daily!

"Lord, spare us from sour-faced saints!"---St. Teresa of Avila

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality