Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Aug 6, '12, 12:46 pm

Religion: Catholic Revert
Default Re: What is the Catholic stance on non-Trinity sects of Christianity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveVH View Post
To answer your last question first, yes you would have to be re-baptized to enter the LDS Church. They absolutley do not accept any other baptism.
Interesting, for I know that if I am baptized in a Baptist Church, I don't need to be rebaptized if I go to the Assemblys of God for instance.

Quote:
As for the "Believer's Baptism", as you call it, this is a result of having no understanding of the nature of a sacrament after several hundred years of being separated from the origninal Church. Baptism is not just a person's public statement that they believe in Jesus Christ. I can certainly make that statement without getting wet. It is an act of God's grace. When God acts, something very real happens. Our souls are cleansed from sin and supernatural life is infused into us through the Holy Spirit who now dwells within us. Baptism is how we enter the family of God. Grace, by its very nature, is a free gift, requiring nothing from us. That is why infants can be baptized through the desire of their parents. If they wish to reject Christ later in life that option is always available to any of us. Baptism does not remove our free will.
Yes, that's the Catholic position.
I believe that God can draw people to Him. Either by someone witnessing about Jesus, or because a person starts seeking Him and starts reading the Holy Bible.
In this conversion-process, the person recieves the Holy Spirit sent by Jesus. Then this person is a reborn-Christian and should find a community where he/she is nourished.

Then you can go into deepening talks about Jesus and the Holy Bible with the local pastor and then you can be baptized as an outward sign that you are a reborn-Christian and believe in Christ Jesus...
Old Aug 6, '12, 12:49 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antionach View Post
Interesting, for I know that if I am baptized in a Baptist Church, I don't need to be rebaptized if I go to the Assemblys of God for instance.

If you are Baptized using the Trinitarian formula, you have been baptized into the Catholic (universal) Church.

"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is a thought of God."

“Science presupposes the trustworthy, intelligent structure of matter, the ‘design’ of creation.”

"A man of conscience, is one who never acquires tolerance, well- being, success, public standing, and approval on the part of prevailing opinion, at the expense of truth."
Pope Benedict XVI

Old Aug 6, '12, 11:00 pm

Quote:
Nor do you need to be re-baptized to enter the Catholic Church. As Buffalo stated above, if you are baptised in the name of the Trinity, with water, you are baptised into the Catholic Church.

Quote:
I believe that God can draw people to Him. Either by someone witnessing about Jesus, or because a person starts seeking Him and starts reading the Holy Bible.
Yes, there is no end to the ways that God calls all people to himself.

Quote:
In this conversion-process, the person recieves the Holy Spirit sent by Jesus. Then this person is a reborn-Christian and should find a community where he/she is nourished.
The Catholic postion would be that we receive the Holy Spirit initially through Baptism (although the Holy Spirit is present in all of the sacraments). The conversion process should prompt one to desire the presence of the Holy Spirit and the person may be led by the Holy Spirit, but being drawn to God is not equivalent to receiving the Holy Spirit.

Quote:
Then you can go into deepening talks about Jesus and the Holy Bible with the local pastor and then you can be baptized as an outward sign that you are a reborn-Christian and believe in Christ Jesus...
Or you could be baptised in order to cleanse your soul from sin.

"Repent, and let everyone of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins." (Acts 2:38)
"Let the time come when those who should oblige the servant of God, do the contrary to him, and what degree of patience and humility he has then, that is the degree he has and no more." - St. Francis of Assisi
Old Aug 6, '12, 11:08 pm
Banned

Religion: ☦ Orthodox Christian ☦

The First Ecumenical Council has settled this question a long time ago. Anyone who denies Christ's divinity is anathematized.
Old Aug 7, '12, 4:57 am
Banned

Quote:
Well, Baptists or Pentecostals or other denominations who do Believer's Baptism only, also don't accept an Infant Baptism... (Infant Baptism = "only" a blessing, as baby can't commit his/her live to Jesus. First give one's life to Jesus and then is the Baptism as an outward sign that belong to Jesus (and then you are officially recorded in your Church).)

Mhm, if I recieve a Believer's Baptism in, let's say, a Baptist Church, do I need to be rebaptized in the LDS Church?
And yet in the Book of Acts we have stories of whole households, not just adults, being baptized.
Old Aug 7, '12, 6:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky7 View Post
And yet in the Book of Acts we have stories of whole households, not just adults, being baptized.
Yes, we are to believe that there were no children under the age of reason in those households. I think the real problem is just a lack of understanding what a sacrament is. Even the term "sacrament" is not found in many Protestant denominations. It has been replaced with "ordinance" and has lost all original meaning.

The concept that God would freely give his grace and infuse an infant with divine life, absent any action on the part of the one being baptized, but rather the desire of the parents out of love for their child, is foreign to those who consider it an "ordinance". Baptism, as an ordinance, is really just a public statement of one's belief in Christ. There is no sanctifying grace involved. If one goes with this line of thinking then baptizing an infant would seem preposterous. Therefore they are forced to interpret the verse you chose in Acts as not including children under the age of reason. How they actually accomplish that mental feat is what I would like to know.
"Let the time come when those who should oblige the servant of God, do the contrary to him, and what degree of patience and humility he has then, that is the degree he has and no more." - St. Francis of Assisi
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions