Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 16, '12, 5:20 am

Religion: Spoony Roman Catholic
Default Re: Latin

Latin is dead!? It's alive!
Old Jul 16, '12, 5:24 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescentinus View Post
You can hear it spoken if you google that Finnish radio station.
Old Jul 17, '12, 12:50 pm

Well -- I will never believe that Caesar said "Waeni, weedi, weechi!"
Old Jul 17, '12, 2:28 pm

Religion: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrnwiga View Post
Some universities (and more specifically, Classics departments) will have Latin reading groups.

-Byrnwiga
And courses.
Old Jul 18, '12, 8:38 am

For those who want a more systematic introduction to Latin, and benefit from the structure of a class, Catholic Distance University is offering Latin I at the graduate and undergraduate levels in the coming September term.
Old Jul 18, '12, 9:52 am

Religion: ex-Catholic
Smile Re: Latin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish 13 View Post
I would like to learn Latin but since it is a dead language there arent many ways to learn it anymore, so does anyone know of a good website that is free where i can learn the Latin used by the Church?
Frogive me if this has already been suggested (I have not read the whole thread) but there is a great online course for beginners, and also an advanced course) at the National Archives in UK:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/latin/beginners/

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 21, '12, 2:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevalier View Post
I think any bookshop near a university or college should have a good, modern book that you could use for self-learning.

As for grammar, actually wikipedia is a good enough source and I'm not kidding. It's entirely possible to find all the grammar rules you need on wiki. Find, print, memorise, practice. Do it the old way, just learn a portion a day, then take like 150 verbs or nouns from the respective group and practice the relevant declination/conjugation, then move on to the next. This is something I'd suggest as someone who's done some Latin teaching. Wikipedia is 100% free. Dictionaries aren't expensive, you'll need a paper one. It's worse with actual texts, but you can find a lot on the Internet, including texts that are actually prepared as study material, even with every word described as to its grammatical form. I'm only sorry but can't provide you with a specific link, it's been years. You'd need to google some. But it's entirely possible to learn Latin without paying a penny except for your Internet access fee. Although I still insist a paper dictionary will generally be more convenient than online dictionaries. And probably more exhaustive after all.

Good luck, have fun!

Have more details about the 1910 event? Generally, the Church followed late Roman pronunciation, as opposed to some modern scholars who decided that the late republic/early empire pronunciation was somehow more correct. As far as my unrequested opinion goes, there is no such thing as objectively correct Latin pronunciation, it's kinda all subjective.

I'm not sure what the American pronunciation is and how it differs from the British English pronunciation of Latin but the latter does contain some obvious influences of the English language that can't pretend to be a reconstruction of actual Latin pronunciation. E.g. look at the way the word "radii" is pronounced ("ray-dee-eye" more or less). It can't be claimed that the Romans ever pronounced the letter "i" as the "eye" sound, while this is also an obvious, unique, distinctive feature of English among European languages. So the traditional English ways of reading Latin aren't really very Latin, they're more English. This is not to say they're illegitimate etc., they're just not very historical and might fail to be understood by e.g. French folks (who can go as far as from the Latin "i" through the mediaeval Latin "j" to the French "j" like in "Juliette", for example).
I meant American pronunciation of English is no more wrong that the Church pronunciation of Latin.
Old Jul 22, '12, 11:23 am

Religion: Catholic adherent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescentinus View Post
It certainly is! I remember my German teacher telling us that whe she was a schoolgirl she came to England to stay with her penfriend, and while she was here she developed dreadful toothache. Her friend's mum took her to their dentist, but she was so upset and in so much pain that she forgot all her English. So she and the dentist ended up conversing in Latin as it was their only common language.
Old Jul 22, '12, 8:42 pm

Religion: Spoony Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janefromengland View Post
It certainly is! I remember my German teacher telling us that whe she was a schoolgirl she came to England to stay with her penfriend, and while she was here she developed dreadful toothache. Her friend's mum took her to their dentist, but she was so upset and in so much pain that she forgot all her English. So she and the dentist ended up conversing in Latin as it was their only common language.
Beautiful.

Is Latin the official language of the Vatican?
Old Jul 22, '12, 8:57 pm

Religion: Thank you POPE BENEDICT XVI We LOVE YOU! GOD BLESS YOU.
Thumbs up Re: Latin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritthichai View Post
Frogive me if this has already been suggested (I have not read the whole thread) but there is a great online course for beginners, and also an advanced course) at the National Archives in UK:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/latin/beginners/

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence