Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 29, '12, 8:23 pm

Default Music during services

After spending over a dozen years as an atheist, I've recently come home to God and started an exploration of which church is Christ's true body. Attending a couple of services brought back feelings about something I never really liked: instruments and dull singing of hymns.

While any music sincerely made to God is certainly a good thing, I personally feel that a loud, clamoring church organ/piano or "praise band" with lyrics projected on the wall, or participating in hymns that people don't sing with any real joy, really cuts into my experience with the Lord in His house. Especially organs, man those things just sound like nails down a chalkboard to me for some reason.

Certainly, I don't want this to be an issue if I discover the RCC as the true Bride, but the fact is that most services I've attended have been too contemporary and Western to capture my heart. I would "suck it up" and realize the importance and joy of celebrating the Eucharist with fellow believers, but that's about it. I'd just go home and play an Orthodox liturgy on Youtube and really drift away and connect with God.

What kind of advice would you have for me? Are there any churches in communion with Rome or any particular liturgies that leave the organ and hymns out? Do I just need to pray and keep going and wait for this old grumpy feeling to pass?
Old Jun 29, '12, 9:08 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Music during services

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdstor View Post
After spending over a dozen years as an atheist, I've recently come home to God and started an exploration of which church is Christ's true body. Attending a couple of services brought back feelings about something I never really liked: instruments and dull singing of hymns.

While any music sincerely made to God is certainly a good thing, I personally feel that a loud, clamoring church organ/piano or "praise band" with lyrics projected on the wall, or participating in hymns that people don't sing with any real joy, really cuts into my experience with the Lord in His house. Especially organs, man those things just sound like nails down a chalkboard to me for some reason.

Certainly, I don't want this to be an issue if I discover the RCC as the true Bride, but the fact is that most services I've attended have been too contemporary and Western to capture my heart. I would "suck it up" and realize the importance and joy of celebrating the Eucharist with fellow believers, but that's about it. I'd just go home and play an Orthodox liturgy on Youtube and really drift away and connect with God.

What kind of advice would you have for me? Are there any churches in communion with Rome or any particular liturgies that leave the organ and hymns out? Do I just need to pray and keep going and wait for this old grumpy feeling to pass?
Sure, there are definitely parishes that leave out the organ and have little to no music. Usually the earliest Masses are the quietest. They can be quite peaceful. Also, there are numerous Eastern Catholic parishes that have the Orthodox-type divine liturgy you are speaking of, but are in Communion with Rome. If you want, you can post your city or PM me and I will try to find one closest to you.

Viva il Papa! Long live Pope Francis!
Old Jun 29, '12, 9:21 pm

yes, the joyless singing gets to me too, as well as some of the hymns that are kind of country. I agree with the former poster = try to find a Mass without music. You might also check out the diocesan Cathedral if it is close enough. Some of them have really excellent music and musicians - or not. Somehow, excellent music has not been high among Catholic priorities. We are fortunate to have been in a few parrishes recently with excellent one. It truly makes a difference I think. In one parish, the assistant pastor used to say, "sing once and you pray twice." That presupposes that you have a cantoring choir, not a performance choir. Good luck to you.

Julian of norwich
Old Jun 29, '12, 9:26 pm

Religion: Catholic

Not sure exactly how you feel -- you dislike the organ stuff and dull, old-fashioned singing, yet you also dislike the contemporary, happy-clappy stuff.

Regardless, the central part of worship is making present the Sacrifice of Jesus. You'll only find that in the Catholic Church, even one with awful music.
Old Jun 30, '12, 12:07 am

Go during the week, Monday-Friday. Typically no music whatsoever then. Just reverence towards our beautiful Lord and receiving Him in our most blessed sacrament - the Holy Eucharist.

I enjoy weekday masses the most. Receiving our perfect God every day, in grace.

*Of course you need to be Catholic to receive Christ in the Eucharist, except under only very special circumstances. If you are not Catholic then you typically should not take communion in the Catholic Church.
Old Jun 30, '12, 9:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp1215 View Post
Sure, there are definitely parishes that leave out the organ and have little to no music. Usually the earliest Masses are the quietest. They can be quite peaceful. Also, there are numerous Eastern Catholic parishes that have the Orthodox-type divine liturgy you are speaking of, but are in Communion with Rome. If you want, you can post your city or PM me and I will try to find one closest to you.
I'm in Des Moines - I think there's one place here that uses the old Tridentine mass and also has a "solemn mass with incense" (whatever that means), and there's also a tiny Anglo-Catholic parish in communion with Rome here, as well. Don't think Iowa diocese allow Byzantine rites.
Old Jun 30, '12, 10:00 am

Just to add an old "Catholic" thought: Sometimes the music is just one of our crosses to bear.

Julian of norwich
Old Jun 30, '12, 10:16 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic

An aversion to music in Mass may be a personal taste, but keep in mind that the music-filled High Masses are considered the highest form of worship of Our Lord. Different priests sometimes include different styles of music, so go to Masses in different parishes.

Quote:
And let the peace of Christ control your hearts, the peace into which you were also called in one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, as in all wisdom you teach and admonish one another, singing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or in deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. (Colossians 3:15-17)
Quote:
Watch carefully then how you live, not as foolish persons but as wise, making the most of the opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore, do not continue in ignorance, but try to understand what is the will of the Lord. And do not get drunk on wine, in which lies debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit, addressing one another [in] psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and playing to the Lord in your hearts, giving thanks always and for everything in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God the Father. (Ephesians 5:15-20)
"Try to learn what is pleasing to the Lord." (Ephesians 5:10)

Read the Bible and study the Catechism.

Old Jun 30, '12, 11:38 am

Quote:
I'm in Des Moines - I think there's one place here that uses the old Tridentine mass and also has a "solemn mass with incense" (whatever that means), and there's also a tiny Anglo-Catholic parish in communion with Rome here, as well. Don't think Iowa diocese allow Byzantine rites.
Hi,
Eastern Catholic Churches aren't under the authority of the local Roman Catholic Diocese. But it is possible that there are no eastern Catholic churches there because there may not be any or very few Eastern Catholics living there. I will check around online and see if I can find something.

Old Jun 30, '12, 11:48 am

As far as I can tell, there are no Eastern Catholic churches in Iowa. I suggest trying out the earliest Masses at your local parishes.

Old Jun 30, '12, 2:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohana View Post
Just to add an old "Catholic" thought: Sometimes the music is just one of our crosses to bear.
Not that I dislike singing or hymns - I simply prefer chanting or acapella over instruments, and I like those songs that have a bit of reverence and mystery to them as well as joy. Pretty much no Protestant hymn or hymns in modern Catholic services accomplish this IMO, but the singing/chanting in the Byzantine/Tridentine services work much better (I definitely prefer the former over the latter by what I've heard, but I've yet to experience either of them in person).
Old Jun 30, '12, 2:51 pm

This is more along the lines of the church music I like (OK, I know I'm not going to get a pro choir every time, it's just an example ): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyVllSkX7_s

I will sometimes listen to this, Gregorian chanting, etc. when I'm clearing my mind and connecting to the Lord.
Old Jun 30, '12, 2:59 pm

Quote:
This is more along the lines of the church music I like (OK, I know I'm not going to get a pro choir every time, it's just an example ): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyVllSkX7_s

I will sometimes listen to this, Gregorian chanting, etc. when I'm clearing my mind and connecting to the Lord.
Very nice! Unfortunately, I don't think you will be able to find anything like this in Iowa in Communion with Rome. I think your best bet is to go to a Traditional Latin Mass (EF) or an early morning Mass, that usually has less music. You might not be able to find your "favorite" style of music, but I think you should find something that suits your tastes better. Just remember, the Mass is the Mass, and the music is secondary (as others have said). That being said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with preferring a different "style" of Mass or music. I love that the Church allows for different music etc. to be used, whilst keeping the Mass the same, so that the faithful can worship as they wish. Let us know what you find!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence