Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 25, '12, 2:41 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Tried to go the Confession 3x

Hi All,

I tried to go to Confession three times this week. Two of the times were at the local Catholic university chapel. There is a sign that says Confessions at 11:45, but no priest showed up before the daily 12:10 Mass. Today I tried to go to my parish's Confession from 3:30-4:30. I arrived at just before 4 and was sent home at 4:45 with others because time ran out and Mass was to start at 5.

I made a valiant effort. I know I still need to go to Confession, but if I were to be struck dead before then, would my sins be forgiven?
Old Feb 25, '12, 3:56 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Petrine Catholic
Send a message via Skype™ to Inego de Loyola
Default Re: Tried to go the Confession 3x

If you have true contrition then most certainly. But it should be noted that if you have committed mortal sin, and there is no grave danger of death then you are not to receive holy communion without sacramental confession.

BTW is your screen name a reference to the Society of Jesus sometimes called the "Jesuits"?
Old Feb 25, '12, 4:00 pm

After Mass, ask Father to hear your confession.
Old Feb 25, '12, 4:48 pm

Or call the rectory and make an appointment for confession. You'll have the benefit then of having Father's undivided attention, and won't have to rush through the "laundry list" of "the usual suspects."

I don't know if your inability to get to confession would factor in in the unlikely scenario that you would be struck dead in the interim. Probably, the "Internet Curia" isn't the best source for an answer to this. You might want to go to the "Ask An Apologist" forum and post this question to one of those folks.

"Lord, spare us from sour-faced saints!"---St. Teresa of Avila
Old Feb 25, '12, 5:26 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

I would try and make an effort to attend a penance service sometime this Lent because they are offered at numerous times during Lent. Usually there are individual confessions available afterwards, and you will more than likely get yours heard.

In the unlikely event that you would be struck dead. I don't know. I don't think you would be in danger of hell because you did make a great effort to receive the sacrament, but I'm not God, and a priest might be able to assist you on this.

I admire your trying to get to confession!
Old Feb 25, '12, 5:35 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Petrine Catholic
Send a message via Skype™ to Inego de Loyola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catechism of the Catholic Church
Contrition

1451 Among the penitent's acts contrition occupies first place. Contrition is "sorrow of the soul and detestation for the sin committed, together with the resolution not to sin again."50

1452 When it arises from a love by which God is loved above all else, contrition is called "perfect" (contrition of charity). Such contrition remits venial sins; it also obtains forgiveness of mortal sins if it includes the firm resolution to have recourse to sacramental confession as soon as possible.51

1453 The contrition called "imperfect" (or "attrition") is also a gift of God, a prompting of the Holy Spirit. It is born of the consideration of sin's ugliness or the fear of eternal damnation and the other penalties threatening the sinner (contrition of fear). Such a stirring of conscience can initiate an interior process which, under the prompting of grace, will be brought to completion by sacramental absolution. By itself however, imperfect contrition cannot obtain the forgiveness of grave sins, but it disposes one to obtain forgiveness in the sacrament of Penance.52
Set your mind at ease! Perfect contrition remits even mortal sin though as I said the church still requires you to obtain sacramental confession before receiving the Eucharist except if in danger of death.
Old Feb 25, '12, 9:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.J. View Post
Hi All,

I tried to go to Confession three times this week. Two of the times were at the local Catholic university chapel. There is a sign that says Confessions at 11:45, but no priest showed up before the daily 12:10 Mass. Today I tried to go to my parish's Confession from 3:30-4:30. I arrived at just before 4 and was sent home at 4:45 with others because time ran out and Mass was to start at 5.

I made a valiant effort. I know I still need to go to Confession, but if I were to be struck dead before then, would my sins be forgiven?
First John 4:8 states that "God is love". Now review your efforts and that scripture verse and draw your own conclusions. Yes, we are to abide by Church teachings but our God is infinite mercy. Can you imagine dying and God saying, "Sorry you are damned to eternal hellfire because Father Tom had an emergency and couldn't hear your confession"? Yes, your sins would be forgiven and if you don't die just go to the next available confession. Peace be with you.......................teachccd
Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
Old Feb 25, '12, 10:11 pm

Religion: Ukrainian Catholic

God sees your efforts and is pleased at your trying. If you were a father and you asked your son to do a task, and he found it difficult but kept trying until he was successful, wouldn't you smile? The son, who could have shrugged and said to himself, "Oh well" and went on his way, stayed the course and made an effort to be successful. That's virtue! Make an effort to go as soon as you can and ask God to grant you success, plus ask Him to grant those who have been away from the sacrament to over come their huddles and fall before His mercy in confession. There are many who shrugged and said "Oh well" and you may indeed gain graces for them as well as yourself.
Old Feb 26, '12, 7:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachccd View Post
First John 4:8 states that "God is love". Now review your efforts and that scripture verse and draw your own conclusions. Yes, we are to abide by Church teachings but our God is infinite mercy. Can you imagine dying and God saying, "Sorry you are damned to eternal hellfire because Father Tom had an emergency and couldn't hear your confession"? Yes, your sins would be forgiven and if you don't die just go to the next available confession. Peace be with you.......................teachccd

Viva il Papa! Long live Pope Francis!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments