Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 10, '12, 9:15 am

Religion: Catholic
Default How do I prevent what I think from becoming a "self-fulfilling prophecy" and my downfall?

For a big part I'm a very negative person who's also very prone to fatalistic thinking.The con of this is that if I have a bad initial impression a/o thoughts about something my mind and I will very much cling to that and not allow any change to happen largely out of fear and what seems like ruin that was meant to be.I'm now aware that this results in these thoughts becoming "self-fulfilling prophecies",the bad kind.What can I do to stop this?.
Old Jun 10, '12, 10:44 am

Religion: Fellowship contemplative prayer UK
Default Re: How do I prevent what I think from becoming a "self-fulfilling prophecy" and my downfall?

Me,
I am learning to stop thinking in this kind of way. Its hard I know and haven't actually got there yet. But I think the simplest answer is not to think. If you can though change any negative thought into a positive thought. That don't work for me as I just get more destructive in my thoughts. My Priest gave me a very good book for penance last time and reading it was the easy bit. Doing it is harder but worth it and find that it does help stop me self destruct anything... Just live for now. There is no future so you cannot worry about it because it is meaningless since it don't exist. The past is gone and you cannot alter it. So you have to live for now. Along with that he has slowly and patiently taught me over the last few months how to simply be with God. The two together is very good 'tool' at feeling good - for want of a better word at not destructing yourself all the time. No one else is doing it - in my case, but me. Its hard work but each time spend with God then that self destructing fulfilling prophecy does shout back but I now have tools I am trying to use when I feel good so hopefully when I can use them when I feel go I can apply them when I don't feel good to help change that. Only you can do the work and that is the hardest bit. I can say whatever to the priest and he's there listening, but internally I to do the work as you have to - to stop it. You can begin stopping it right now but you have to want to and you do have to fight it often. It don't simply go away or it not done for me. You can do this with God Amen

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality