Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 15, '12, 9:56 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Two tough theological questions

1.) I'm struggling with understanding Christ's nature before the Incarnation. I understand that he was pure spirit before the Incarnation, but afterwards, including after His Ascension into Heaven, he maintained his body, though in glorified form, correct? I was having trouble understanding, then, how we can say that God is unchanging. Is only His divine nature unchanging? It seems that after the Incarnation, Christ totally changed for the rest of eternity. Moreover, wouldn't that change sort of "tie" him to temporal existence? In other words, if God is above time, then wouldn't having a body, even a glorified one, make him a part of history, time, etc.?

2.) If Mary is fully unitied to the Blessed Trinity, and the Trinity lives in our hearts, is it fair to say that Mary and the Saints likewise live in our hearts?

Thanks for all of your help with these tough questions.
Old Jun 15, '12, 11:05 am

Default Re: Two tough theological questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorad007 View Post
1.) I'm struggling with understanding Christ's nature before the Incarnation. I understand that he was pure spirit before the Incarnation, but afterwards, including after His Ascension into Heaven, he maintained his body, though in glorified form, correct? I was having trouble understanding, then, how we can say that God is unchanging. Is only His divine nature unchanging? It seems that after the Incarnation, Christ totally changed for the rest of eternity. Moreover, wouldn't that change sort of "tie" him to temporal existence? In other words, if God is above time, then wouldn't having a body, even a glorified one, make him a part of history, time, etc.?
Indeed. God became a part of time and a part of creation by taking our form upon Himself. Doing so did not lessen Himself, however. He is still eternal. Rather, it is the method by which He chose to perfect us, His creation, and make it possible for us to enter timeless Heaven.

Quote:
2.) If Mary is fully unitied to the Blessed Trinity, and the Trinity lives in our hearts, is it fair to say that Mary and the Saints likewise live in our hearts?
I don't think so. Even though the Saints are no longer bound by time and place, they do not have the ability to transcend either. They can participate to the extent that God enables them but cannot will any action separate from Him.

Quote:
You're welcome.
Old Jun 15, '12, 11:28 am
Forum Elder

Here are some of the basic theological formulations to serve as a starting point.

God is a Trinity of Persons. He is one in essence / substance, but made up of three persons. These three persons are divine persons and are pure spirit.

Jesus, the Son, is the second person of the Blessed Trinity. In the Incarnation, Jesus took on human flesh. He remains one divine person, but he has two natures: a divine nature and a human nature. The union of these two natures in the one divine person is called the hypostatic union.

In His divine nature, Jesus never changes because God never changes. However, in his human nature, Jesus did develop and "increase in wisdom and stature" (Lk 2:52).

If you're looking to fully understand it, it will probably take a while. Jesus' Incarnation is a singularly unique event in history and also from a metaphysical standpoint. So it's difficult to draw direct comparisons or analogies to aid in our understanding.

I recommend reading through the section in the Catechism on Jesus, particularly CCC 422-682.

As to the second question, I don't have as clear cut a response. I think that, in a manner of speaking, one might say that Mary and the saints live in our hearts to a degree. But it would certainly be in a different way than the Trinity does.

The Catechesis of the Popes
The more I follow the online discussions ... the more I follow the debates and disagreements in the Church about administrative unity, or the concerns expressed about the moral or personal or administrative or leadership failings of the bishops or the clergy, the more I become convinced that whatever might be the truth of these concerns, ALL of this is simply a distraction. No, itís more than that. Itís a justification, an excuse, for not helping each other and those outside the Church fall in love with Jesus Christ. How easy it is to talk about everything, but about Jesus hardly at all.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Old Jun 15, '12, 4:47 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

This was actually the very first question that I ever posted on CAF (some eight years ago). It had been bugging me for many years prior, and I joined CAF specifically to post this question.

Unfortunately, I did not get an answer that satisfied me, although post #7 might be a good place to start. Unfortunately, I did not explore the reply in more detail. And it probably didn't help that I correctly cited the distinction between assumption & absorption from the CCC, but then proceeded to mix up the terms.

(this was back in the days when I preferred highly structured writing - I have loosened up a lot since then.)

Hooray!
Old Jun 16, '12, 7:05 am
Banned

Quote:

The key to your answer is in your question when you say, " ..., even a glorified one,....A glorified body does make a difference. It is the prototype of what we will be when we go to heaven. The body as it is now cannot exist in heaven unless glorified.

The Supernatural is proper only of God. It is above the natural-ours, and the praeternatural-the angels and saints in heaven.

The mystery of the Incarnation simply shows us that nothing is impossible for the Omnipotence of God and that in order to defeat the ravages of sin in its domain (the body), God the Son became flesh and lived among us in a temporal existence. This does not affect the spiration of the Father and the Son nor the paternity of God- nor the filiation of the Son- nor the procession of the Holy Spirit.

I'm sorry if that's as clear as mud.
Old Jun 16, '12, 9:51 am
Banned

Religion: ☦ Orthodox Christian ☦

Quote:
God did not merely create us to leave us on earth and watch us from afar. God wants to participate in our lives at the most intimate level. I forgot which saint, but one had the opinion that had Adam and Eve not sinned, Jesus would still have taken flesh and dwelt amongst us. It is God's divine plan all along to be one of us.

Partaking of human nature did not change Him. Remember, He remained fully God with a Divine Will. And because Jesus perfected human nature when He became man, when we receive our resurrected bodies we will be incorruptible and immortal as God is.

Quote:

Quite possibly, although I don't know if saying it this way would connote something. The Communion of Saints is where we all live in communion with God and with each other. That is why Christ asks us to love one another, to love even our enemies. When we get to heaven, its not just Jesus and us, there are no personal relationships in heaven. We are in communion with God and with everyone in communion with God. Maybe its theologically wrong to say Mary and the Saints live in our hearts, but if God is in our hearts then through God our heart is connected to their hearts.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics