Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 23, '11, 4:58 pm

Religion: Traditional Catholic
Default Mass on Christmas Eve

Hi! My friend told me his family was going to mass tomorrow (Saturday) at 4:00 PM so they can get stuff done in the morning on Christmas. I told him he could go to midnight mass with me but he said no. I don't know how he is expecting that to fulfill his Sunday obligation. Under the circumstances, would that fulfill it? And if not would it be under the pain of sin? Thanks!
Old Dec 23, '11, 5:25 pm

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)
Default Re: Mass on Christmas Eve

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumenjesuchrist View Post
Hi! My friend told me his family was going to mass tomorrow (Saturday) at 4:00 PM so they can get stuff done in the morning on Christmas. I told him he could go to midnight mass with me but he said no. I don't know how he is expecting that to fulfill his Sunday obligation. Under the circumstances, would that fulfill it? And if not would it be under the pain of sin? Thanks!
If the 4pm Mass is a Christmas Vigil Mass, then it does fulfill the Sunday/Christmas obligation. If, however, it's a Saturday Daily Mass, it would not. So we can't really answer your question without knowing what kind of Mass the one at 4pm on Saturday is.

If he goes to a Saturday Daily Mass, the Sunday/Christmas obligation is not fulfilled and he will still need to go to a Sunday Mass (assuming he's a Catholic, of course). It would be a sin, most likely mortal, if he doesn't. But if the Mass on Saturday is a Vigil, then yes, the obligation is fulfilled and he's in the clear.

God bless!

Quote:
"No one in the world can change truth. What we can do and should do is to seek truth and to serve it when we have found it." -- Saint Maximilian Kolbe
Old Dec 23, '11, 5:44 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Any Eucharistic Mass on Saturday after 4:00PM fulfills the Sunday obligation. However if you are asking whether it fulfills the Christmas obligation then the poster above me is correct. However it would be hard to believe a Church was holding a normal daily type Mass at 4:00 PM on Christmas Eve as what would be the point of it if it didn't fulfill the Christmas obligation, therefore it must be a vigil which would. Just my .02
Old Dec 23, '11, 5:44 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic Church, Latin Rite

Quote:
well, well, well..
If you look at the clock, maybe it is not rituatlly fulfilling the Mass Sunday Obrigation.
But is this the way to deal with it?
Does 2 hours difference make any big deal?
Old Dec 23, '11, 6:14 pm

The earliest time that can count for a vigil mass varies by region. If I'm not mistaken, it's masses that start at 4pm for the Eastern United States and 12 noon for the Western United States. Correct me if I'm wrong. Don't know about other countries, but I assume it's along the same lines.
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." I will rather boast most gladly of my weakness, in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me. (2 Corinthians 12:9)
Old Dec 23, '11, 6:21 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
if 4pm Mass ordinarily fills the Sunday and Holy Day Obligation in your diocese, as it does most places, there is no problem as he will have met both. Unless your diocese or parish has specifically announced that you must also attend Mass on Sunday this year. Why is it your problem? do you really think the parish would shedule Mass at a time that does not meet the obligation?
Old Dec 23, '11, 6:23 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
a) Yes, a 4 p.m. Mass is an anticipated Mass for Sunday/Vigil Mass for Holy Days.

b) It is not polite to second guess your friend, who knows what he is doing. And you have no reason to doubt this.

This question seems rather scrupulous.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Dec 23, '11, 6:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
a) Yes, a 4 p.m. Mass is an anticipated Mass for Sunday/Vigil Mass for Holy Days.

b) It is not polite to second guess your friend, who knows what he is doing. And you have no reason to doubt this.

This question seems rather scrupulous.
Maybe, maybe not. I've noticed many people are extremely quick to jump to the idea of scrupulosity on this site.
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." I will rather boast most gladly of my weakness, in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me. (2 Corinthians 12:9)
Old Dec 23, '11, 6:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfaffenhoffen View Post
well, well, well..
If you look at the clock, maybe it is not rituatlly fulfilling the Mass Sunday Obrigation.
But is this the way to deal with it?
Does 2 hours difference make any big deal?
All the difference between no sin and mortal sin.
Old Dec 23, '11, 6:43 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by achmafooma View Post
If the 4pm Mass is a Christmas Vigil Mass, then it does fulfill the Sunday/Christmas obligation. If, however, it's a Saturday Daily Mass, it would not. So we can't really answer your question without knowing what kind of Mass the one at 4pm on Saturday is.

If he goes to a Saturday Daily Mass, the Sunday/Christmas obligation is not fulfilled and he will still need to go to a Sunday Mass (assuming he's a Catholic, of course). It would be a sin, most likely mortal, if he doesn't. But if the Mass on Saturday is a Vigil, then yes, the obligation is fulfilled and he's in the clear.

God bless!
The kind of Mass is not relevant and nor are the readings.

ANY Mass on the evening preceding a Holy Day of Obligation fulfills the obligation.

Can. 1248 §1 The obligation of assisting at Mass is satisfied wherever Mass is celebrated in a Catholic Rite either on a Holyday itself or on the evening of the previous day.
Old Dec 24, '11, 8:31 am

Religion: Traditional Catholic

I'm not second guessing my friend. He doesn't care if it counts as his Sunday obligation, he told me that. He does not know what he's doing, or could potentially be doing to his soul. I'm just trying to look out for him. So please, if you could, try and answer my question without assuming I'm putting my friend down.
Old Dec 24, '11, 10:50 am
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
I'm not second guessing my friend. He doesn't care if it counts as his Sunday obligation, he told me that. He does not know what he's doing, or could potentially be doing to his soul. I'm just trying to look out for him. So please, if you could, try and answer my question without assuming I'm putting my friend down.
They answered. He's meeting the obligation. How do you know he 'doesn't care?' He might be saying that to you because he's annoyed at your assumptions about him and doesn't want to bother correcting them because you've already found him 'wanting'.

He is meeting the obligation. You asked, we answered. And we'll be praying for you both. God bless.

I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful" (Ordinatio Sacerdotalis 4). Pope John Paul II.
Old Dec 24, '11, 3:12 pm

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle View Post
The kind of Mass is not relevant and nor are the readings.

ANY Mass on the evening preceding a Holy Day of Obligation fulfills the obligation.

Can. 1248 §1 The obligation of assisting at Mass is satisfied wherever Mass is celebrated in a Catholic Rite either on a Holyday itself or on the evening of the previous day.
Thank you for the correction. I was taught in RCIA that it had to be a Sunday liturgy to fulfill the Sunday obligation. It would appear I was taught incorrectly .

My apologies for the misinformation. I'm still learning!

Quote:
"No one in the world can change truth. What we can do and should do is to seek truth and to serve it when we have found it." -- Saint Maximilian Kolbe

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics