Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Feb 11, '13, 11:06 am
AlieMarie728 AlieMarie728 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: November 26, 2012
Posts: 20
Religion: Born Catholic, was nondenominational, currently confused
Default Receiving ashes

I am Catholic, but I fell away from the Church for a period of time and have started the process of becoming a faithful participant again. I got married outside of the Church, and from what I've been told, I can't receive the Eucharist or attend Reconciliation because I'm no longer in a state of grace in the Church. (If I've been misinformed on this, people let me know.)

Am I permitted to receive ashes on Ash Wednesday?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Feb 11, '13, 11:08 am
1ke 1ke is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: May 25, 2004
Posts: 24,443
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Receiving ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlieMarie728 View Post
I got married outside of the Church, and from what I've been told, I can't receive the Eucharist or attend Reconciliation because I'm no longer in a state of grace in the Church. (If I've been misinformed on this, people let me know.)
You should approach your pastor as soon as possible about having your marriage convalidated. He will guide you on this matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlieMarie728 View Post
Am I permitted to receive ashes on Ash Wednesday?
Yes. Ashes are a sacramental, like a rosary, holy water, etc. Anyone may use a sacramental.
__________________
Pax, ke

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Feb 11, '13, 11:15 am
garn9173 garn9173 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: August 19, 2011
Posts: 2,060
Religion: Catholic (duh!)
Default Re: Receiving ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlieMarie728 View Post
I am Catholic, but I fell away from the Church for a period of time and have started the process of becoming a faithful participant again. I got married outside of the Church, and from what I've been told, I can't receive the Eucharist or attend Reconciliation because I'm no longer in a state of grace in the Church. (If I've been misinformed on this, people let me know.)

Am I permitted to receive ashes on Ash Wednesday?
That's not true. I once was in the same situation as you. Talk to your Priest ASAP. In the meantime, visit this website: http://www.catholicscomehome.org
__________________
As of 3/22/14: Third Degree Knight

Saw it on Twitter during the March For Life: Why am I #prolife AND #progun? Because both policies defend the innocent and protect the weak.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Feb 11, '13, 12:20 pm
Evan Evan is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 19, 2004
Posts: 2,189
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Receiving ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlieMarie728 View Post
Am I permitted to receive ashes on Ash Wednesday?
Since Fr John Neuhaus used to administer ashes to all who came (include many of his Jewish friends) and the reception of ashes is not a sacrament, I believe anyone of any faith (or no faith) can receive ashes.
__________________
===========
Evan
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Feb 11, '13, 7:40 pm
Bonnie Bonnie is online now
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 18, 2004
Posts: 1,736
Religion: Catholic since 1976!
Default Re: Receiving ashes

We have several Protestant friends who show up every Ash Wednesday for their ashes. One of these days they might take the next step!
__________________
God bless,
Bonnie, OFS
Opportunity Farm
Northeast Washington

"While we have the opportunity, let us do good to all." Galatians 6:10


Good used books at BonniesBooks.net

Catholic since '76!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Feb 12, '13, 5:26 am
JHow's Avatar
JHow JHow is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: September 1, 2010
Posts: 1,947
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Receiving ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlieMarie728 View Post
...from what I've been told, I can't...attend Reconciliation because I'm no longer in a state of grace in the Church?
Logically, I think confession would be the place to start to get back into the state if grace. I don't think you are barred from that. See your priest and find out for sure.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Feb 12, '13, 10:36 am
pablope pablope is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: September 29, 2010
Posts: 7,130
Religion: catholic
Default Re: Receiving ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlieMarie728 View Post
I am Catholic, but I fell away from the Church for a period of time and have started the process of becoming a faithful participant again. I got married outside of the Church, and from what I've been told, I can't receive the Eucharist or attend Reconciliation because I'm no longer in a state of grace in the Church. (If I've been misinformed on this, people let me know.)

Am I permitted to receive ashes on Ash Wednesday?
I think you can go to confession but you cannot receive the Eucharist until your marriage issue is resolved or your marriage is convalidated.

The best thing is talk to your parish priest.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8371Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: Loren42
5102CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: mountee
4417Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: daughterstm
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3859SOLITUDE
Last by: Prairie Rose
3696Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3269Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3263Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child
3218Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: memphian
3093For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: SERVENT FOR GOD



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 4:57 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.