Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 27, '11, 4:04 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Sign Language

Hi!
This is my first posting in this forum. I'm actually not a native speaker so I apologize for my english :P
Since the 2nd Vatican Council the Holy Mass can be read in any language, right? But what I'm curious about is, if only spoken languages are possible or would the Mass theoretically be valid if read in a sign language?
Regards, Igor
Old Dec 27, '11, 4:10 pm
Forum Elder

Default Re: Sign Language

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igypop83 View Post
Hi!
This is my first posting in this forum. I'm actually not a native speaker so I apologize for my english :P
Since the 2nd Vatican Council the Holy Mass can be read in any language, right? But what I'm curious about is, if only spoken languages are possible or would the Mass theoretically be valid if read in a sign language?
Regards, Igor
Yes. ASL (American Sign Language) is an approved vernacular, and I'm sure that there are others. I've even seen the signs given by a layperson.
Old Dec 27, '11, 4:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProVobis View Post
Yes. ASL (American Sign Language) is an approved vernacular, and I'm sure that there are others. I've even seen the signs given by a layperson.
I wouldn't doubt that the words have been translated into sign language, and the signs are given during mass for those who can read signs, but can the priest himself validly celebrate the mass in solely sign language? Can the Eucharist be consecrated by signing the words "This is my Body... This is the chalice of my Blood"?
Old Dec 27, '11, 4:50 pm
Banned
Radio Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProVobis View Post
I barely remember a thread long ago that debated the idea that Mass had to be "spoken" I dont remember the outcome. I have seen a Mass signed by a lay person but I have never seen it signed by the priest. I suppose the Priest could sign and say too Though that might make the consecration hard.
Old Dec 27, '11, 11:25 pm
Banned

Religion: ☦ Orthodox Christian ☦

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningdude View Post
I wouldn't doubt that the words have been translated into sign language, and the signs are given during mass for those who can read signs, but can the priest himself validly celebrate the mass in solely sign language? Can the Eucharist be consecrated by signing the words "This is my Body... This is the chalice of my Blood"?
I don't know the answer, but my thought here is if the priest is not deaf or mute, what's to stop him from actually speaking the words while doing the sign language?
Old Dec 28, '11, 4:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstantineTG View Post
I don't know the answer, but my thought here is if the priest is not deaf or mute, what's to stop him from actually speaking the words while doing the sign language?
That's true. But what if he WAS actually mute, or even if he's not, it would be interesting, whether a sign language is a "valid" language, that can be used for celebrating Mass or as runningdude said: can the Eucharist be consecrated only by signing or do the words have to be actually spoken?
Old Dec 28, '11, 6:38 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic Harry Potter

Pick me! I know the answer.

A priest can sign the mass. However he DOES NOT use ASL. He would use SEE or signed exact english. He follows all the words of the English translation. A translator, however, often uses ASL since his client would be deaf.

ASL is to English as Spanish is to Portuguise. Its not the same language by a long shot. Similar but different. Signed exact is word for word English without the gramatical and word nuiances of ASL. See must be used in order to follow the GRIM.

The couple of deaf priests I know are not mute. One can make only unintelligable sounds..but this qualifies during the consecration. Remember Mass can be whispered...so clearly hearing is not vital. Most deaf can make some sort of noise with their mouths so that qualifies as speech.
Old Dec 29, '11, 10:24 pm

Religion: Catholic: Russian Greek Catholic, & Latin Church catechist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaShoreGirl View Post
A priest can sign the mass. However he DOES NOT use ASL. He would use SEE or signed exact english. He follows all the words of the English translation. A translator, however, often uses ASL since his client would be deaf.
None of the deaf priests I've seen celebrate Mass has used SEE. SEE is not something I see used anywhere, haven't see it for decades. There might be something more like PSE being used by some deaf priests and deacons.

Here is a two part series by canon lawyer, Dr. Edward N. Peters . American Sign Language in Catholic Liturgy, I and American Sign Language in Catholic Liturgy, II

I've been in Masses for decades with Deaf priests as celebrants, chiefly in San Francisco and the East Bay. My daughter received all her sacraments from Fr. Tom Coughlin, the first deaf Catholic priest in the U.S. a great priest.

Just FYI the Archdiocese of Washington has a good set of videos for Sign Language Interpreter Training for the New Roman Missal.

Last edited by 5Loaves; Dec 29, '11 at 10:39 pm.
Old Jan 1, '12, 1:17 pm

Thanks a lot, SeaShoreGirl and 5loaves!
I think, that's really interesting! I asked, because I'm learning the austrian sign language right now and was wondering, whether that possible. I thought a mass in sign language wouldn't even be valid.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments