Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 22, '06, 9:37 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Lector - bow to altar or tabernacle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lilburne
What I think the GIRM is saying is:
Do not genuflect during Mass.
Otherwise (i.e. Outside of Mass) genuflect when passing in front of the Most Blessed Sacrament, unless in a procession.

If the Lector was in the entrance procession, I think you would agree that he should genuflect at the beginning at end of Mass, but not during it.

I do not think you are correct in saying that a lector approaching the altar is a second entrance procession, for which he or she should genuflect.

The lector is clearly a minister (even if not in the entrance procession) and so genuflecting during the Mass itself contradicts the 2002 GIRM 274.
Ah but interpretations are such tricky things. On my reading, the prohibition on genuflecting during mass applies to those who are present in the sanctuary throughout the mass. Genuflecting would clearly be awkward for them as they cross to and fro in front of the Tabernacle frequently during the course of their duties. On the other hand a person, including a lector, moving from the pews to the front of the church would be passing the Tabernacle and as such should genuflect. It is important to note I think that the GIRM does not prohibit genuflecting during the mass, only the genuflecting of certain people who by their functions would spend the major part of their time during mass in the sanctuary. I do not think you can add outside of mass as you do as the reference to unless in a procession implies the possibility of it being during a mass.

Innocent III
Old Feb 23, '06, 12:40 am

Religion: catholic

As a lector i think we can bow in the altar (table) as a respect. We do not need to genuflect infront of the tabernacle if we are going to go to the lectern for the reading.

If we are late and we will pass by the tabernacle i think it is necessary to genuflect before entering a pew. This is to show respect even though the mass is on going.

If consecration is finished and the Consecrated bread and wine is in the altar we need to genuflect before it if we need to pass by the altar. This is a reverence to an exposed Holy Eucharist.

In principio erat Verbum et Verbum erat apud Deum et Deus erat Verbum.....et Verbum caro factum est et habitavit in nobis

Sancte Francisce, ora pro nobis
Old Feb 23, '06, 12:53 pm

Religion: catholic

Now technically I'm not a lector rather a reader. As I recall lector is ministerial office.

We had a meeting with our pastor two weeks ago. We are to genuflect (bow if you can't genuflect) to the tabernacle before the mass both as we approach the santuary steps and step back from the ambo. This applies to checking the reading and looking over the intro and prayer of the faithful. We are to genuflect to the tabernacle when we go up to the ambo for the intro and genuflect to the tabernacle after the intro. Then go to our seat.

Once the mass has begun bow to the alter.
Old Feb 24, '06, 7:25 am
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JC Nixon Send a message via MSN to JC Nixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elzee
I thought this was such a simple question....I'm still confused! Could it vary by diocese?

I think you are correct. Much is left not only to the discretion of the Bishop in the Diocese, but also to the parish priest.

Our Diocese ceased using the term 'lector' about 2 years ago. We are now 'reader'. Apparently the proper term and function of a lector goes well beyond proclaiming the readings at Mass, hence the change.

For continuity, we have been instructed simply to approach the ambo from our seat (interestingly enough, where the reader sits during Mass is between the Tabernacle and the altar!) and not to bow or genuflect. Here is the rationale: When the reader processes in with the Priest and altar servers, they all bow to the altar and then take their positions or seats as the case may be, so the reverence has already been given. In the same vein, when one enters their pew, the custom is to genuflect toward the Tabernacle, be it behind the altar or off to the side, so the reverence has already been given.

Personally, when I am Sacristan and setting up for Mass, I do a profound bow every time I pass the Tabernacle. But during Mass, I am obedient to the request of our Pastor.

I love you, Lord, my strength, my rock, my fortress, my savior PS 18:2
Old Feb 24, '06, 9:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Nixon
Personally, when I am Sacristan and setting up for Mass, I do a profound bow every time I pass the Tabernacle. But during Mass, I am obedient to the request of our Pastor.
Why do you make a profound bow (before Mass) towards the tabernacle instead of genuflecting? Thank you!
Old Feb 24, '06, 11:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Nixon
Much is left not only to the discretion of the Bishop in the Diocese, but also to the parish priest.
The priest and bishop do not decide what the correct postures and gestures are. They should teach what is in the liturgical books.

To change the gestures requires a decision of the Conference of Bishops and approval from the Vatican. From the 2002 General Instruction of the Roman Missal (GIRM):

Quote:
390. It is up to the Conferences of Bishops to decide on the adaptations indicated in this General Instruction and in the Order of Mass and, once their decisions have been accorded the recognitio of the Apostolic See, to introduce them into the Missal itself. These adaptations include

- The gestures and posture of the faithful (cf. no. 43 above);
- The gestures of veneration toward the altar and the Book of the Gospels (cf. no. 273 above); ...

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments