Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 22, '06, 9:24 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Sundays during Lent

Perhaps this has been discussed in past years . . . do you continue to sacrifice on Sundays of Lent?

One the one hand, I've heard that Sundays are "little Easters" along the way, so it's OK to celebrate. On the other, it doesn't seem like much of a sacrifice if I only have to go 6 days and enjoy on the 7th. What do you all do? ---KCT
Old Feb 22, '06, 9:42 am
Forum Elder

Default Re: Sundays during Lent

Sunday is a feast day, the celebration of the Resurrection. It is not necessary to fast on this day. Lent is actually 46 days long for this very reason-- Sundays are skipped when counting the 40 days.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Feb 22, '06, 10:13 am

Of course, if you gave up swearing or heroin or something, it might be a good idea to keep on sacrificing, even on Sundays.
Old Feb 22, '06, 10:16 am

I practice my abstinance from whatever I give up on Sundays too. This is what I was taught in my youth and it just stuck with me. It's only 6 additional days and for me it helps build character.
Old Feb 22, '06, 10:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulcissima
Of course, if you gave up swearing or heroin or something, it might be a good idea to keep on sacrificing, even on Sundays.
I was considering coffee and soda :-) ---KCT
Old Feb 22, '06, 11:59 am

I have found that it takes something away from the rigour of Lent to be able to indulge on the Sunday.

On the other hand I want to celebrate the Resurrection. So what I do is observe some part of my sacrifice throughout and indulge in some small way on a Sunday. Let say I give up all sweets, potato chips etc. and follow some kind of Fast or abstinence during Lent. Then I would not fast on the Sundays but still give up the other goodies.

Seems to strike the right balance for me.

Also to my mind this it is a bit like the omission of the Gloria, Organ and flowers during Sunday Mass. Eventhough it is a Sunday some change needs to be made.

Christopher
Old Feb 22, '06, 12:44 pm

Religion: catholic

Personally, if you only give up something for 6 days and know that on the 7th day you can receive it, what is the big deal. We allow our children to sway a little on Sundays. For example, if they give up candy, then they are allowed one piece. If we give up TV, then we do not watch TV on Sundays. My husband and I are adults and we should be able to deny ourselves for lent. The purpose of Lent is to prepare us to become closer to God and this is one of our obligations!
Old Feb 22, '06, 3:11 pm

[quote=chris ZA]
On the other hand I want to celebrate the Resurrection. So what I do is observe some part of my sacrifice throughout and indulge in some small way on a Sunday. Let say I give up all sweets, potato chips etc. and follow some kind of Fast or abstinence during Lent. Then I would not fast on the Sundays but still give up the other goodies.
[quote]

I was considering something along those lines. If I give up coffee and soda, I might allow myself one cup of one or the other on Sundays.
---KCT
Old Feb 22, '06, 3:40 pm
Forum Master

Because of health reasons there isn't much in the way of food I can give up, but even so, on Sundays I follow the Church and celebrate--I usually give up listening to TV and radio during the day, and since I am alone most of the day, it is a sacrifice for me). I find the Mass readings, penitential as they are during Lent, to be enough to remind me what season it is. I also like to do some extra spiritual reading, give more to charity, reach out more to someone in need, that sort of thing.
Old Feb 23, '06, 7:20 am

Our pastor who died a couple of years back used to encourage us to do something special during Lent instead of just giving up the same old things like favorite foods. Lots of people added a volunteer opportunity like working at the food bank to their sacrifice. For someone who wanted to continue their "sacrifice" on Sundays maybe that could be their day to do something additional instead of subtracting something?

I just checked the catechism and it says that Lent is only 40 days which would not include Sundays. I don't think anyone should feel bad if they don't continue their sacrifice in exactly the same manner on the Sundays of Lent. Last year I quit watching TV in the evenings after work which was one of my favorite things to relax, but on Sunday I watched the morning shows while getting ready for church and maybe 1-2 shows in the evening after I finished all of my activities at church. It was relaxing and it made Sunday stand out from the other days even more than if I just did my normal church activities.

I think it gets easier to not miss treats if you just don't have any for a long period rather than if you have a little one occasionally that reminds you of what you are missing. Of course that is just my opinion. I would suggest to the OP to try doing it one way this year and differently next year and see what helps them to focus better on joining in Christ's 40 days in the desert.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life