Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 1, '06, 1:29 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Can communion be received more than once a day?

I went to Mass this morning to receive ashes. I am going again with my husband tonite so he can receive them. Do I abstain from communion? I never went to Mass twice in one day, so I'm not sure.

Thanks and God Bless you,
Sharon
Old Mar 1, '06, 1:45 pm
Veteran Member

Default Re: Can communion be received more than once a day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovedbyHim
I went to Mass this morning to receive ashes. I am going again with my husband tonite so he can receive them. Do I abstain from communion? I never went to Mass twice in one day, so I'm not sure.

Sharon
Holy Communion can be received a second time tonight if it is received within a Mass.

If tonight it is only a Liturgy of the Word with the distribution of ashes then no you cannot receive Holy Communion again.
Old Mar 1, '06, 1:48 pm

Smile Re: Can communion be received more than once a day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovedbyHim

Sharon
Canon law states that a person may receive Holy Communion twice in one day as long the second time is within the Mass.

Let's say that you receive Holy Communion outside of Mass one day. You may receive Holy Communion again that same day if you attend Mass and receive It there.

Let's say that you receive Communion one day, whether outside of Mass or at Mass. You go to a Communion Service later in the day, or some such opportunity to receive Communion outside of Mass. You may NOT receive there.

But a person cannot receive Holy Communion more than twice in one day unless the person is in danger of death, or unless the person is a Priest, who MUST receive Communion at every Mass that he celebrates.

Anybody who tells you that a layperson may receive Holy Communion three or more times per day(unless in danger of death; please see above paragraph) is incorrect.
Old Mar 2, '06, 8:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLatin
Canon law states that a person may receive Holy Communion twice in one day as long the second time is within the Mass.

Let's say that you receive Holy Communion outside of Mass one day. You may receive Holy Communion again that same day if you attend Mass and receive It there.

Let's say that you receive Communion one day, whether outside of Mass or at Mass. You go to a Communion Service later in the day, or some such opportunity to receive Communion outside of Mass. You may NOT receive there.

But a person cannot receive Holy Communion more than twice in one day unless the person is in danger of death, or unless the person is a Priest, who MUST receive Communion at every Mass that he celebrates.

Anybody who tells you that a layperson may receive Holy Communion three or more times per day(unless in danger of death; please see above paragraph) is incorrect.

Oh . . . Some Sundays, I cantor two Masses. I always receive at the first, never the second because I thought it wasn't allowed.
Old Mar 2, '06, 4:23 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarthaMartha
Oh . . . Some Sundays, I cantor two Masses. I always receive at the first, never the second because I thought it wasn't allowed.
You can , but you don't have to.
Old Mar 2, '06, 7:11 pm

GoLatin,

I'm a "letter of the law" kind of guy, and I refrain from taking communion twice on a day, even if I happen to be at Mass (for whatever reason) more than once on a Sunday. Can you explain how this would apply to vigil services? For example, last Saturday I attended Saturday evening Mass (which I rarely attend) because I am a sponsor for a catechumen and we were having the Rite of Sending at that Mass. But Sunday morning, I was a lector at 8:30 and I went to communion again.

In both circumstances, I felt it would be someone scandalous to have an obvious participation in the liturgy without also participating in communion. I brushed it off, counting them as separate days, but I also realize that Saturday evening "counts" as Sunday, too. Should I not have done this?

(other readers: I'm not looking for pastoral advice - I'm sure many people think what I did was good and proper, and it may have been. I just want to know if this counted as "twice in one day.")

Thanks.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments