Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 2, '06, 1:02 pm

Religion: catholic
Default family curses?

Is it part of the teaching of the RC Church that families inherit curses? For example, an in-law of mine says that his mother and brother both have mental illness because of an inherited curse passed on. I think he said that it is due to sin and is passed on from generation to generation. He believes that we can stop the curse from continuing on to the next generation by fighting the good fight of faith in the spiritual realm. Likewise I think he believes that the same is true when it comes to blessings. He attends a non-denominational church which follows many of the teachings of Joyce Meyer and Kenneth Copeland if that helps at all.
Old Mar 2, '06, 1:16 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: family curses?

Absolute rubbish!
Old Mar 2, '06, 1:17 pm
Book Club Member

I have never heard of anything like this before.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/woods/woods40.html

Catholics Come Home:

http://www.catholicscomehome.org/

Old Mar 2, '06, 1:19 pm
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Della
Absolute rubbish!
hardly....
Please don't make me take my Fr. Amorth books out again........
Old Mar 2, '06, 1:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGM
Is it part of the teaching of the RC Church that families inherit curses? For example, an in-law of mine says that his mother and brother both have mental illness because of an inherited curse passed on. I think he said that it is due to sin and is passed on from generation to generation. He believes that we can stop the curse from continuing on to the next generation by fighting the good fight of faith in the spiritual realm. Likewise I think he believes that the same is true when it comes to blessings. He attends a non-denominational church which follows many of the teachings of Joyce Meyer and Kenneth Copeland if that helps at all.
I don't know what the church specifically teaches, but I do believe as your relative does, that blessings and curses are passed from generation to generation. We commonly say that something is inherited, such as a tendency towards alcoholism or certain health problems. I did a general search on yahoo for generational curses. You'll find a lot of info there. In my family, (mother's side), one very serious curse is that of abortion. My grandmother tried to abort my mother (now close to 80 yrs.old) and when I was pregnant with my daughter, upon hearing the news, the first words out of my mother's mouth were "get an abortion." She said the same thing to my daughter 21 years later, when she was expecting her first child. I believe I broke that particular curse by being pro-active. When my daughter was about 7 years old, I happened to receive a mailing from a pro-life group. Included in the envelope was a small, glossy color poster showing a pile of aborted fetuses. I showed it to my daughter and asked her what she saw. She told me she saw babies. Then we talked about how they had been taken from their mommies way too soon, before they were ready to be born. I told her this was called abortion and it was never, ever acceptable. It was 100% wrong and she must never do this kind of thing. When she was going for pre-natal care, her doctor ordered genetic testing and based on the results, would counsel her on what to do next. She told him not to bother, she was keeping the baby, no matter what. In turn, I believe she will pass on that value to her 2 children and that's the end of that curse!! Thank God!!
Old Mar 2, '06, 1:43 pm
Forum Master

There's no such thing as generational curses. There's certainly bad patterns of behavior, learned by children from their parents and passed on to their children and their children's children. All that is required to break such behaviors is to submit to the truth and do as the Church tells us to do.

Besides, Jesus' redemptive death destroyed any curses hanging over the heads of mankind. This latest notion is just bad pop psychology feeding off people's fears and need to explain things in spiritual terms that need no such explanations. It's raw superstition, which the Church condemns in the strongest terms!
Old Mar 2, '06, 1:54 pm
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by contemplative
hardly....
Please don't make me take my Fr. Amorth books out again........
aaaarrgh! I'll have to take Gabriel's books out again.........give me some time.
Old Mar 2, '06, 2:07 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Talking Re: family curses?

Quote:
There's no such thing as generational curses. There's certainly bad patterns of behavior, learned by children from their parents and passed on to their children and their children's children. All that is required to break such behaviors is to submit to the truth and do as the Church tells us to do.

Besides, Jesus' redemptive death destroyed any curses hanging over the heads of mankind. This latest notion is just bad pop psychology feeding off people's fears and need to explain things in spiritual terms that need no such explanations. It's raw superstition, which the Church condemns in the strongest terms!
I agree with you 100%. But to stand up for the original poster, maybe they are just calling this learning process of bad behavior a curse-not intending any superstition attached to it. Your brilliant response is the answer : 'ALL THAT IS REQUIRED TO BREAK SUCH BEHAVIORS IS TO SUBMIT TO THE TRUTH AND DO AS THE CHURCH TELLS US TO DO.'
Old Mar 2, '06, 4:11 pm

Religion: protestant
Send a message via Yahoo to bengal_fan

The Old Testament definitely talks of sins being passed on to the next generation (I believe it says it will be passed down for seven generations). There must be some truth to it, but I think Joyce Meyers operates on guilt mostly so I don't buy into her version of the "truth".
Old Mar 2, '06, 7:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGM
Is it part of the teaching of the RC Church that families inherit curses?
There are various Catholic sources that confirm the truth of this in one form or another, from private revelation of mystics (A.C.E.) to scripture (O.T.) to Church dogma (Ott, p. 106-114).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGM
For example, an in-law of mine says that his mother and brother both have mental illness because of an inherited curse passed on. I think he said that it is due to sin and is passed on from generation to generation. He believes that we can stop the curse from continuing on to the next generation by fighting the good fight of faith in the spiritual realm. Likewise I think he believes that the same is true when it comes to blessings.
Sounds legitimate so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGM
He attends a non-denominational church which follows many of the teachings of Joyce Meyer and Kenneth Copeland if that helps at all.
Here we have a problem. Since they are not Catholic, they are not under obedience to any bishop, and we cannot go along with their actions, even if they seem to be successful.

But it remains that physical problems are the result of past sins and/or curses and/or dominion of the devil, and that we ought to pray to be delivered from evil (Matt 6:13).

Catholic discipline is currently such that we are not permitted to address evil spirits directly (1984 document), but rather to pray to God for help - and also not neglect to ask for the intercession of the Angels and Saints in our battle. This is confirmed also by scripture (Jude 1:9). Here is a prayer for intercession against attack:

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil, may God rebuke him, we humbly pray. And do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host, by the divine power of God, cast into hell Satan and all the evil spirits who now wonder throughout the world, seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.

I also came across the following link wherein a Catholic priest offers Masses for the healing of one's family tree:

Rev. John H. Hampsch, CMF
Information about private Mass intentions for the Healing of your Family Tree
http://www.claretiantapeministry.org...amilytree.html
I am going to look into having that done for my own family.

hurst
Old Mar 2, '06, 7:38 pm

Quote:

Besides, Jesus' redemptive death destroyed any curses hanging over the heads of mankind.
I'm sorry to have to say this, but your perspective is misleading. It is de fide teaching that the devil gained a certain dominion over the human race through Adam and Eve, which is transmitted generationally. It is valuable to seek purity in the marital embrace, since it is conducive to generating holy children. Baptism is not available to free them from guilt until after birth. Think of original sin, which affects both body and soul. Even after baptism, there remains "concupiscience" which serves to test us morally. The guilt is forgiven, but the consequences remain. Otherwise, a baptized person would not need to baptize their children!

Again, curses are definitely passed on by generation; that is what Original Sin is. Scripture also mentions other kinds of curses that are passed on to descendants. While baptism saves us from the guilt, it does not always spare us from natural consequences. And if we fall from the state of grace, what protection do we have?

hurst
Old Mar 2, '06, 8:15 pm

Send a message via AIM to mike182d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden
I have never heard of anything like this before.
Isn't it like original sin, though?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics