Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 3, '04, 7:03 am

Religion: CATHOLIC
Send a message via AIM to MGEISING
Default Best Catholic Fiction?

What are some of the best Catholic Fiction you have read?????
Old Aug 3, '04, 9:18 am
Inactive Member

Default Re: Best Catholic Fiction?

I have enjoyed all of Michael O'Brien's works especially Father Elijah. My wife, a converted Mennonite, had to explain the ending to me, though.
Old Aug 3, '04, 9:20 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic

"The Lord of the Rings", of course!! It has to top the list.

"Brideshead Revisited", by Evelyn Waugh, is excellent.

Flannery O'Connor is very good....

Chesterton wrote fiction as well as non-fiction, his best-known being his Father Brown mysteries. I haven't read them myself, having mostly read his non-fiction, but I hear that they're entertaining.

I'm sure I'll think of a few more with time.
Old Aug 3, '04, 12:13 pm
Banned

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
The Man Who Was Thursday by G. K. Chesterton
Descent Into Hell by Charles Williams
Anything by Flannery O'Connor

The themes in the works of C. S. Lewis are so Catholic that you would never know he was not.
Old Aug 3, '04, 12:18 pm
Forum Master

Although I would not class myself with Flannery O'Connor nor Tolkien or Waugh, I have a work of Catholic fiction available at amazon.com. The title is "Eagle Mountain", a fantasy/mythological novel for older children and adults.

I also have to say that modern Catholic publishers are very slow to publish works of fiction because they fear they won't sell. So, apart from a very few authors you will not find many contemporary Catholic works of fiction from the major Catholic publishing houses.
Old Aug 3, '04, 1:26 pm

How about THE SNAKEBITE LETTERS by Peter Kreeft? This is a take off on C.S. Lewis' SCREWTAPE LETTERS, but it focuses on Hell's attempts to corrupt American Catholics.

I don't know if many people would agree with me, but I've always considered DECLARE by Tim Powers to be a Catholic novel. But it's not what most people expect when they hear the phrase "Catholic novel." He and his friend Blaylock also have a book of short stories out called THE DEVILS IN THE DETAILS. It's just three short stories, but the first one, "That Good Night" by Tim Powers concerns a jaded modern priest who is confronted in the confessional by an unusual sort of penitent. I thought it was really cool.

In response to Racer X:

Charles Williams was not a Catholic.

In response to Della:

Yes, Catholic publishers do seem reluctant to publish fiction, though I notice that Ignatius Press has some. I lurk at a Yahoo group called Catholic Writers Online, and apparently a lot of them publish their novels through publish on demand companies.
Old Aug 3, '04, 3:24 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
In response to Della:

Yes, Catholic publishers do seem reluctant to publish fiction, though I notice that Ignatius Press has some. I lurk at a Yahoo group called Catholic Writers Online, and apparently a lot of them publish their novels through publish on demand companies.
Yes, I'm one of them! Although I haven't been a part of the Catholic Writers Online for a while--been too busy trying to write!

Have you been trying to get published, too?
Old Aug 3, '04, 3:49 pm

Religion: CATHOLIC
Send a message via AIM to MGEISING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Della
Yes, I'm one of them! Although I haven't been a part of the Catholic Writers Online for a while--been too busy trying to write!

Have you been trying to get published, too?

No - I am not that talented ... I like reading them. The BEST SO FAR for me is Michael O'Brien's Books ... absolutely awesome!
Old Aug 3, '04, 6:12 pm
Forum Supporter

The trilogy by Bud MacFarlane, Jr. is very good: Pierced by a Sword, Conceived Without Sin and House of Gold -- and they are available for free (or minimal donation) at www.catholicity.com
Old Aug 3, '04, 9:25 pm

Gosh, I started a thread on Catholic fiction on the Family & Life board - great minds!

[quote=maryhodge]How about THE SNAKEBITE LETTERS by Peter Kreeft? This is a take off on C.S. Lewis' SCREWTAPE LETTERS, but it focuses on Hell's attempts to corrupt American Catholics.

I don't know if many people would agree with me, but I've always considered DECLARE by Tim Powers to be a Catholic novel. But it's not what most people expect when they hear the phrase "Catholic novel." He and his friend Blaylock also have a book of short stories out called THE DEVILS IN THE DETAILS. It's just three short stories, but the first one, "That Good Night" by Tim Powers concerns a jaded modern priest who is confronted in the confessional by an unusual sort of penitent. I thought it was really cool.

QUOTE]

maryhodge - I just looked up those books on Amazon and have added them to my list - they sound great!

Della - good luck with your book!
Old Aug 3, '04, 9:45 pm

Religion: Catholic --with a dash of Charismatic
Send a message via AIM to Makerteacher

For a fun ride into basic apologetics to Evangelicals, try Martin De Porres Kennedy's tale, " A Philadelphia Catholic In King James' Court". It's the story of a Catholic youth (late teens?) sent for a summer to live with an evangelical relative whom he respects, and his struggle to learn to offer up a reason for his Catholic Faith.

here's one link: you might also search used book sites.
http://www.catholiccompany.com/produ...il.cfm?ID=3164

I have been working my way through the fictionalized but historically based novels of Louis de Wohl on the major Saints of Our Faith. They are great reading! I'm in the Augustine one now.

The Joyful Beggar. A Novel about St. Francis of Assisi
Citadel of God. A Novel on St. Benedict. By Louis
The Quiet Light. A Novel on St. Thomas Aquinas
The Restless Flame. A Novel on St. Augustine
Lay Siege to Heaven. A Novel on St. Catherine of Siena
The Spear, a story of a soldier present at the Crucifixion

I have also heard wonderful things about this book but have not read it yet. The Red Horse, By Eugenio Corti

Other titles to enjoy:
Lilies of the Field by William E. Barret: short and sweet with no sermonizing. Also made into a good film.

In this House of Brede by Rumer Godden. This book was instrumental in my conversion to Catholicism.

Brother Cadfael series by Ellis Peters. These are also available as a television series produced by the BBC. Our local public library carries them and our kids LOVE them.

Kristin Lavransdatter: The Bridal Wreath, the Mistress of Husaby, the Cross ( set of three titles) by Sigrid Undset.

Virtually anything by G. K Chesterton, C S Lewis, and JRR Tolkien.

I personally also enjoyed The Sparrow and The Children of God, by Mary Doria Russell, but warn you that 1) they are serious Sci Fi and 2) they deal with some rather graphic events of a sexual nature. They do depict Catholic priests in a good light, well into the future when other worlds have been discovered.

Lord, in my zeal for the love of truth, let me not forget the truth about love.--- St. Thomas Aquinas.

Remember to pray for vocations and for your priest today.
Old Aug 4, '04, 3:41 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic
Arrow Re: Best Catholic Fiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didi
The trilogy by Bud MacFarlane, Jr. is very good: Pierced by a Sword, Conceived Without Sin and House of Gold -- and they are available for free (or minimal donation) at www.catholicity.com
I agree. I stumbled across them in a Catholic Gift and book store about 4-5 years ago(to this day, I still don't know what made me go in there, much less spend money). These books were the first steps in the path of my conversion.

So, if no one likes having me around, blame Bud McFarlane.

If it's not a baby, you're not pregnant...

Go Packers!
--me
Old Aug 4, '04, 6:01 am
Forum Supporter

Recently reread Brideshead Revisited by Waugh -- an amazing book with an ending at which I cheered out loud!

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde is all about the power of confession -- geat book!

I am reading the Sister Joan mystery series by Veronica Black this summer -- very enjoyable, and every ending was a surprise (so far). Each title begins with the words "Vow of ...," and there are 8 or 10 books in the series. I particularly like how she sneaks in Catholic theology or explains certain liturgical rubrics as part of her stories. This series would be great for any young woman who grew up liking the Nancy Drew books.

Flannery O'Connor is good, but her stories are quirky.

Graham Greene is good -- The End of the Affair was made into a movie recently.

'thann
Old Aug 4, '04, 6:45 am
Banned

I thought that Angels and Demons was very good. God and truth triumph in the end and the man who kept his faith in Jesus ends up as pope.

Peace
Old Aug 4, '04, 7:11 am

How about Pillars of the Earth or The Name of the Rose.

As an English Teacher, I know there are many classics that teach good solid Christian and Catholic values. If you are looking for literature to use to teach teens or young adults, Mary Shelly's Frankenstein is a phenominal look at what it means to create life. Bram Stoker's Dracula is good on issues of sexuality and temptation. Jane Austin writes well about issues of duty versus willfulness. (Can you tell I'm an Anglophile?) If you are looking for something lighter, just for pleasure, how about Agatha Christie, or the newer Anne Perry mystery novels. Anne Perry's books revolve around a young couple from courtship through 2 or 3 children. Fun and well written.

Last edited by Suzannecc; Aug 4, '04 at 7:13 am. Reason: misspelled word

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media