Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Mar 14, '06, 10:08 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default help with daily Mass songs

I go to daily Holy Mass at noon with about 20-40 people at my parish.. We have been singing hymns (a cappella) during Offertory and Holy Communion. It all just happened spontaneously over the past year. The congregation relies on one lady and myself to make the song selections before the Mass, which we do by reading the 1st reading, the psalm and the Gospel of the day before coming to Mass. Once we determine the day's theme, we suggest this to the group gathered before Mass and so the two songs for the day are selected. It is all so informal and so intimate (this is not an official parish choir or ministry), and many of them are really so enthusiastic about singing together even without any musical instruments. And after a year of doing this together, I can truthfully say that our singing has become quite beautiful and harmonious—praise God! Almost everyone sings at their seats (there is no separate choir and nobody has to go up to the altar). We just evolved slowly as a one group.

This is where I need your help. Sometimes, I come in late or cannot attend the Mass, in which case they hurriedly decide on the song selections without basing them on the themes of the readings. They have asked me if I could prepare on paper suggested themes based on the daily Mass one week at a time, in case my friend and I are not there to direct the selections.

Does anyone know of any resource on this on the Internet? I don't mean resources for daily Mass readings (there are many) but one that breaks these into defined themes so that, in a pinch, the songs can be matched to the readings. There are a few resources for Gospel-based themes for Sunday Holy Mass but not for daily Mass.

I was thinking of doing this myself-- reading all the readings for the week and determining the themes ahead of time but at this time, this is hard for me,, so an online resource would be most helpful..

Thanks and God bless you!
Teresa.
Old Mar 14, '06, 10:35 pm

Send a message via Yahoo to pianoplayingmom
Default Re: help with daily Mass songs

I play for daily Mass at a convent twice a week and, as part of my job, I must choose the hymns we sing. I use primarily Oregon Catholic Press' Music Issue Index and the Gather Comprehensive, both of which have indices referencing Scripture passages. All passages are not in these but they are a big help. When I have passages not in these two sources, I pray that I make the right choices. Somehow, something always comes to me. And, when all else fails, I choose hymns of praise and seasonal hymns. (Lent, Advent and Christmas are easy!) You can never go wrong with songs of praise!

I'm hoping to hear if someone has an online resource because that would help me, too.
Old Mar 15, '06, 8:19 am

Yes, we do have that same Oregon Catholic Press book at our church, but we are looking for a bigger variety of hymns, particularly for Eucharistic hymns. You see quite a few of our Eucharistic hymns were composed by protestants who don't believe in the Real Presence and for which the Eucharist is just a sign or just fellowship with one another. So our songs come from all over. I have found some good CDs and downloaded some really good songs with true Catholic sensibility which we are slowly teaching the group ( starting with a small group who sing them well and so others follow and learn along the way, 2 or 3 new songs a month).

It does not matter if these are traditional or contemporary songs-- what matters are the lyrics, the theology being taught in the songs, particularly when it comes to the Holy Eucharist, which should be a supreme adoration in the Real Presence. We do sing some of the usual Protestant songs too as long as they are in the same Catholic spirit and within the theme of the Mass readings . So we cannot always depend on the index on the Oregon Catholic Press music issue because we don't always use their songs.

So I am back to my question: is there a resource for daily Mass themes for the readings?

God bless you!
Teresa

Old Mar 15, '06, 9:35 am

Religion: catholic

Themes are nice and all...but if you and your friend can't be there, I would suggest simply leaving a list of solid communion songs to be sung.

A song like "Gift of Finest Wheat" is always pretty appropriate. Or "I Received the Living God". For those who aren't completely anti-Haasian, "Now We Remain" is a good choice as well.
Old Mar 15, '06, 10:31 am

Religion: Roman Rite Catholic
Send a message via MSN to SMHW

I can't help with providing such a resourse but I can offer some general advice.

Eucharistic themed songs are always appropriate for communion. A 'theme of the day/season' song would also be appropriate at that time.

On the other hand, a song that does not specifically affirm the Real Presence but does include some Eucharistic references would not be so out of place at the offeratory.

Perhaps using the OCP book you can come up with some selections of songs with themes from the various books of the Old or New Testaments, or perhaps hymns based on various psalms. If the daily readings are from a particular book then such a song would be appropriate even if it wasn't the reading for the day. These could be used for the offeratory. You could have a different list of songs that are always appropriate for Communion.
Old Mar 15, '06, 1:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHW
I can't help with providing such a resourse but I can offer some general advice.

Perhaps using the OCP book you can come up with some selections of songs with themes from the various books of the Old or New Testaments, or perhaps hymns based on various psalms. If the daily readings are from a particular book then such a song would be appropriate even if it wasn't the reading for the day. These could be used for the offeratory. You could have a different list of songs that are always appropriate for Communion.
Yes, this is what we have done. We have a little homespun booklet ("for private use only" so it does not infringe on copyright laws). And the songs are divided by themes:

For the Eucharistic songs, depending on the readings, we have 2 types of songs:
1) Eucharistic themes: Christ's Body and Blood, Sacrifice, Union with God, Divine Mercy and forgiveness.
2) Gathering, Supper, Service, Unity ,Peace

Most of the time, we are on #1. Among our song selections thus far are:

Abide, O Lord by Sr. Stacey Whitfield
Beyond the Veil by Jim Cowan
Gift of the Finest Wheat by Robert Kreut
Godhead in Me Hiding by St Thomas Aquinas
Holy God, We Praise thy Name by Ignaz Franz
Jesus, my Lord, My God by Frederick Faber
I am the Bread of Life by Sr M. S. Toolan
Lord, Enkindle Me by Ed Conlin
O God of Loveliness by St Alphonsus Liguori
My Soul is Thirsting
O Sacrament Most Holy by Irivn Udulutsch
O Let the Son of God Enfold You by Jim Wimber
Panis Angelicus by St Thomas Aquinas
Soul of My Saviour by L. Dobici
Stay with Us, Lord by Annie Karto
Sweet Sacrament Divine by Francis Stanfield
The Cup of Life Outpoured by Jim Cowan
To Jesus Heart All Burning by Aloys Schlor

Less than a third of these songs can be found in the OCP book.

We have a bigger selection for Offertory Songs.

In the beginning, when my friend and I are not around to do the selections, the group would just choose any songs from the list but now quite a few of them are wanting to relate the songs thematically to the readings of the day. It is often a HolySpirit prodding. We are also careful not to make the songs too long (not all verses somtimes) as many of the people who come are people working in the neighboring offices and do so during their lunch break. But surely, the singing is making such a difference as we are growing at this daily Mass, almost doubled in one year.
(we are 30-40 now )

I think that we are being truly blessed-- we are now examing the possibility of having a one hour exposition (quiet adoration) at 11 a.m. before Holy Mass. There is also a small group of us who pray the Rosary and the Chaplet everyday before Mary's Shrine after the Mass e. Our biggest blessings are 2 young priests who alternate to offer a most Holy and correct Mass, taking their time and showing such love and reverenace for our Eucharistic Lord.

Teresa
Old Mar 21, '06, 2:24 pm

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesusismylord
I go to daily Holy Mass at noon with about 20-40 people at my parish.. We have been singing hymns (a cappella) during Offertory and Holy Communion. It all just happened spontaneously over the past year. The congregation relies on one lady and myself to make the song selections before the Mass, which we do by reading the 1st reading, the psalm and the Gospel of the day before coming to Mass. Once we determine the day's theme, we suggest this to the group gathered before Mass and so the two songs for the day are selected. It is all so informal and so intimate (this is not an official parish choir or ministry), and many of them are really so enthusiastic about singing together even without any musical instruments. And after a year of doing this together, I can truthfully say that our singing has become quite beautiful and harmonious—praise God! Almost everyone sings at their seats (there is no separate choir and nobody has to go up to the altar). We just evolved slowly as a one group.

This is where I need your help. Sometimes, I come in late or cannot attend the Mass, in which case they hurriedly decide on the song selections without basing them on the themes of the readings. They have asked me if I could prepare on paper suggested themes based on the daily Mass one week at a time, in case my friend and I are not there to direct the selections.

Does anyone know of any resource on this on the Internet? I don't mean resources for daily Mass readings (there are many) but one that breaks these into defined themes so that, in a pinch, the songs can be matched to the readings. There are a few resources for Gospel-based themes for Sunday Holy Mass but not for daily Mass.

I was thinking of doing this myself-- reading all the readings for the week and determining the themes ahead of time but at this time, this is hard for me,, so an online resource would be most helpful..

Thanks and God bless you!
Teresa.
Try the Adoremus Hymnal from Ignatius Press. It has a lot of traditional songs without the Gather dreck. It also has chants for thr ordinary and the ordinary and canons in english and latin.
Old Mar 21, '06, 3:24 pm
Banned

Religion: Ukrainian Orthodox Church

we use OCP's Glory and Praise 2. in the hymnal it says what songs and where they should go. I'm not sure if the other OCP hymnals have this thou.

Old Mar 22, '06, 7:02 am

If anyone subscribes to Magnificat, daily hymns are suggested.
Old Apr 3, '06, 9:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrCorey
we use OCP's Glory and Praise 2. in the hymnal it says what songs and where they should go. I'm not sure if the other OCP hymnals have this thou.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. It just shows us how few options we have, especially if you want to use theologically correct songs and do something outside the OCP.

I do have one more question: is it illegal to copy songs (download from the Internet) and put them in a small printed format for use during daily mass (20-40 people)? I know that OCP has the rights to so many songs. Incidentally, many of us think that OCP is our official church song providers. It is not easy to find any other source that is easily available to us. Here is an interesting article about OCP:
http://www.adoremus.org/1102MassMusic.html
:
Old Apr 3, '06, 10:04 am

Quote:
I do have one more question: is it illegal to copy songs (download from the Internet) and put them in a small printed format for use during daily mass (20-40 people)? I know that OCP has the rights to so many songs.
That depends.

IF OCP, GIA, or some other publisher has the rights to the songs that you are downloading then it probably is NOT legal. There are lots of words to songs on Internet that probably shouldn't really be there.

The other thing to note is that an OCP songbook may actually contain songs for which OCP does not actually hold the copyright. I can't say for sure about other publishers but I do know that OCP and GIA frequently have agreements to feature each other's works. OCP sometimes gives permission to parishes to copy their own songs from the hymnals but this would not apply to a song for which they do not hold the copyright.

Now if your parish has a legal copy of the sheet music for the particular song, many of those have a page on the back which usually has just the refrain which IS legal to copy. So you might want to check with whoever handles the Sunday music to see if this is possible. But you have to read the fine print carefully because sometimes there is a page on the back which is designed for copying but you have to contact the publisher before doing so. And in any case you'd probably only have the words to the verses.

Copyright laws are quite complicated. But the rules are there to protect the artists and publishers who make their living this way. Whatever else you think of them, they are still entitled to their property.
Old Apr 3, '06, 4:24 pm

Personally, I prefer to hear a latin hymn during communion (if any) so that I am not distracted (from my personal prayer of repentance (I say an Act of Contrition before and 2 thanksgiving afterward - The Soul of Christ, sanctify me... and then the Prayer at the foot of the cross (Look down upon me). They have special indulgences attached - so I don't sing a communion hymn.
I believe silence is best for all at this most blessed time in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

People have become so accustomed to noise - that they almost fear silence - yet, how else can one hear the voice of God?

There is plenty of time for singing in the mass - I think the recessional is the time for glorius singing from the congregation - and my favorite: FAITH OF OUR FATHERS!

Please, consider silence during communion. A long and reflective silence is practiced in most convents and monastaries for a good reason!

Blessings,
Angel
Old Apr 3, '06, 8:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHW
That depends.

IF OCP, GIA, or some other publisher has the rights to the songs that you are downloading then it probably is NOT legal. There are lots of words to songs on Internet that probably shouldn't really be there.

The other thing to note is that an OCP songbook may actually contain songs for which OCP does not actually hold the copyright. I can't say for sure about other publishers but I do know that OCP and GIA frequently have agreements to feature each other's works. OCP sometimes gives permission to parishes to copy their own songs from the hymnals but this would not apply to a song for which they do not hold the copyright.

Now if your parish has a legal copy of the sheet music for the particular song, many of those have a page on the back which usually has just the refrain which IS legal to copy. So you might want to check with whoever handles the Sunday music to see if this is possible. But you have to read the fine print carefully because sometimes there is a page on the back which is designed for copying but you have to contact the publisher before doing so. And in any case you'd probably only have the words to the verses.

Copyright laws are quite complicated. But the rules are there to protect the artists and publishers who make their living this way. Whatever else you think of them, they are still entitled to their property.
What if our parish has the OCP books that we pay for and subscribe to and all we are doing is selecting songs from the book and retyping them into one page sheets of paper to be used during the Mass? When we pay for the OCP books, don't we have the right to use them at our Mass, even if they are pulled out of the books and retyped?
Thanks!
Old Apr 3, '06, 9:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angels Watchin
Personally, I prefer to hear a latin hymn during communion (if any) so that I am not distracted (from my personal prayer of repentance (I say an Act of Contrition before and 2 thanksgiving afterward - The Soul of Christ, sanctify me... and then the Prayer at the foot of the cross (Look down upon me). They have special indulgences attached - so I don't sing a communion hymn.
I believe silence is best for all at this most blessed time in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

People have become so accustomed to noise - that they almost fear silence - yet, how else can one hear the voice of God?

There is plenty of time for singing in the mass - I think the recessional is the time for glorius singing from the congregation - and my favorite: FAITH OF OUR FATHERS!

Please, consider silence during communion. A long and reflective silence is practiced in most convents and monastaries for a good reason!

Blessings,
Angel
Hi, Angel,
That too is my preference-- holy silence during the Eucharist.Even if it is just for 10-15 minutes.
But often, the community wants the singing.
So what we are doing is at least choosing communion songs with lyrics that are theologically correct, whether they are traditional or contempory tunes. (the latter being often a question of taste and not theology) Sadly, so many of the Eucharistic songs are not about the Body and Blood of Jesus and His sacrifice but about fellowshiip, sharing a meal, peace, etc
Pls read this:
http://www.adoremus.org/1102MassMusic.html
God bless you too, Angel.
Teresa
Old Apr 3, '06, 9:28 pm

Quote:
What if our parish has the OCP books that we pay for and subscribe to and all we are doing is selecting songs from the book and retyping them into one page sheets of paper to be used during the Mass? When we pay for the OCP books, don't we have the right to use them at our Mass, even if they are pulled out of the books and retyped?
Thanks!
You really need to check with OCP. They generally give such permission if you ask. But they expect to be asked. You would need to include the little copyright tag that appears at the bottom of the page. And like I said, you have to check to see if it's actually an OCP song.

Now if it's a song in the public domain there is no problem. But...

I'm looking at an OCP book right now. This one features the following songs: How Great Thou Art by Stuart K. Hine, Canticle of the Sun by Marty Haugen, and God Beyond All Names by Bernadette Farrell. (I'm randomly picking these songs. I don't even like some of them.)

Now God Beyond All Names is the only one to which OCP holds the copyright. The others are "used with permission". OCP could only give you permission to copy God Beyond All Names. Even though it's an OCP hymnal, you have to get permission from Manna Music or GIA to copy the other songs.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments