Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 17, '06, 4:08 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Anyone use Angelicum Academy for homeschooling?

I am new to homeschooling and plan to enroll my son in a kindergarten program for the fall. I have been researching the different Catholic homeschooling programs and am fascinated with The Angelicum Academy. I am having a great deal of difficulty finding homeschoolers who have used it, however. It sounds like a wonderful academic program, but I am not sure that it contains enough Catholic teaching throughout to satisfy me. Can anyone help????

Thanks and God's Peace!
Old Mar 18, '06, 7:16 pm

Default Re: Anyone use Angelicum Academy for homeschooling?

I h/s my older dd (she'll be 6 on Monday) and we're currently using Seton for 1st grade, and used it for K as well. That said, I plan to switch to Angelicum when we're done with 1st (probably by the fall). I'll also h/s my 3 year old for "nursery" or "preschool" using Angelicum too. I posted a question on the Ora et Labora h/s moms website, and I didn't get a single response from anyone using Angelicum (and it's a very active h/s website)!

Are you familiar with the Yahoo group for Angelicum bookswap? You can check it out at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/angelicum_gbabookswap/

If you tool through the messages, there are some posts sprinkled in with the "books for sale" or "swap" posts, that actually deal with the program, including people's opinions who are actually using it. Of course it's biased, b/c these folks are currently using Angelicum, but still, it's feedback! Angelicum as I understand is quite happy that they are not the largest h/s program out there, and they don't really advertise since they aren't interested in growing much. So it's hard to find many reviews of their program.

But like you, I'm very intrigued with their approach. I knew Dr. Mortimer Adler, who was associated with their program. He was a very well-known 20th century philosopher who converted to Catholicism in his 90s (!) and just passed away a couple of years ago. I had deep respect for Dr. Adler, and that is what initially drew me to the program.

Good luck with Angelicum, and feel free to e-mail me with any info to share or just to keep in touch with a future Angelicum user! [email protected]
Old Jul 29, '11, 12:40 am

It looks like this post is a couple of years old...so any of you ladies able to give me a review of Angelicum...I just signed up three of my kids and any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Al
Old Jul 31, '11, 2:47 pm

This will be my third year using Angelicum. I love it. My older children are are in fourth and first grade. It is a great academic program. My children are receiving a great Catholic education also. I used Angelicum for one year and then Seton, and then back to Angelicum for last year and this year. Seton did not enhance my daughter's religious education, and she lost ground in every subject during the year we used Seton. Angelicum's first grade curriculum was academically ahead of Seton's second grade curriculum. I am not bashing Seton though, I know plenty of good, intelligent Catholic kids that use Seton. I think I am the only one in my homeschool group that doesn't.

There is a lot of reading involved with Angelicum, so it's great if you and your kids like books. I didn't need the Learn to Read programs after Kindergarten though because the kids read really well. The kids like the Saints biographies by Mary Windeatt and classic literature. In Math they learn multiplication and division in 1st and 2nd grade. In Shurley English Grammar they begin diagramming sentences in first grade.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Old Jul 31, '11, 6:23 pm

Religion: Catholic

We've followed their literature selections and a lot of their curriculum since 2nd or so grade. We started using their curriculum even more last year and this year we're going "fully enrolled." This means that we're enrolled and they'll keep her transcript. We won't be using their Math, Latin, or German.

I like their stuff, obviously. I can't really review them, though, b/c this will be our first year enrolled.
Old Jul 31, '11, 9:24 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic, former Baptist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneAugustKnight View Post
Seton's second grade curriculum. I am not bashing Seton though, I know plenty of good, intelligent Catholic kids that use Seton.
So would you say that Angelicum is more rigorous than Seton? Seton seems to be more popular, but I hear a lot of complaints about how its high demands cause frequent burnouts in kids and that the dryness of the material contributes to it. I'm planning to homeschool and I'd like a program that is advanced but not so difficult that my kids and I would both be miserable trying to keep up. I had always heard that Seton is the hardest out there.
Old Aug 2, '11, 12:32 pm

It sounds interesting!

For those of you who are using their curriculum without enrolling, how do you go about doing it? I was looking at their curriculum book list, but without ISBN's or publisher info, it's a little hard to track down the proper telling/edition of a book. Do you create your own syllabi based on the reading lists?

DS1 will be 3 next year, so it might be cool to do their nursery/preschool programs independently, see how they click, and go on to the more formal enrollment if they seem to be a good match. Any resources or further discussion would be awesome.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting