Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 22, '06, 12:25 am
Banned

Default Who was the youngest Pope ever?

Who was the youngest Pope ever? What was his age and how he became a Pope of Church "founded" by Christ?
Old Mar 22, '06, 12:36 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Who was the youngest Pope ever?

I forget his name, but it was likely he was 12 or 13 when elected Pope.
Old Mar 22, '06, 1:10 am
Book Club Member

Here is the List of Popes:

www.newadvent.org/cathen/12272b.htm

From what I have found, the 12 year old pope is an urban myth.

The yougest pope would be John XII in 955AD who was 18 (Benedict IX is the pope about whom the myth was speaking; he was not 12 but 20).

http://www.lewrockwell.com/woods/woods40.html

Catholics Come Home:

http://www.catholicscomehome.org/

Old Mar 22, '06, 1:16 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Benedict IX (1032) - apparently elected Pope 3 times
So it's an urban myth that he was 12? Darn, I was looking forward to having another interesting bit of trivia to flash around at quiz nights

But I believe that same John XII was elected Bishop of Todi at age 10, I think that'd be another 'youngest'

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Mar 22, '06, 1:24 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Wrong *sigh* - John XII, almost definitely the worst Pope in history (against some stiff competition mind you ) consecrated a 10-year-old boy as Bishop of Todi among his other hideous misdeeds.

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Old Mar 22, '06, 1:54 am
Banned

Dear Eden:
Your link (Catholic Encyclopedia) says:

The nephew of his two immediate predecessors, Benedict IX was a man of very different character to either of them. He was a disgrace to the Chair of Peter . Regarding it as a sort of heirloom, his father Alberic placed him upon it when a mere youth, not, however, apparently of only twelve years of age (according to Raoul Glaber, Hist., IV, 5, n. 17. Cf. V, 5, n. 26), but of about twenty (October, 1032).

Of his pontifical acts little is known, except that he held two or three synods in Rome and granted a number of privileges to various churches and monasteries.

The question is if he was 12 years old according to Raoul Glaber, then according to who he was 20?
[ I think he was 20 yrs. old when his Papacy ended because he reigned from 1032 to 1045 A.D. So if he was 12 at 1032, then: 1032 + 12 = 1044 A.D.
So I don't think 12 yrs is an urban myth.]
And why this Pope was a disgrace to the Chair of Peter? Was he actually a dictator/King who inherited Papacy from his immediate relatives? And despite being a disgrace, was an infallible too at the same time? If not, then how the Catholic Papacy/Magesterium working [during the 'disgraceful period' of young Benedict IX], without any infallible spiritual personality/leadership?

BTW, the very next Pope Sylvester III is considered as one of "the illegal pretenders to the Papal Chair have arisen, and frequently exercised pontifical functions in defiance of the true occupant.

Since when this amazing dictatorial Papacy ended and democratical Papacy began?

- - - -
Old Mar 22, '06, 1:57 am
Book Club Member

If you read "Pillar of Fire, Pillar of Truth" you will find this:

AN UNBROKEN HISTORY

Jesus said his Church would be "the light of the world." He then noted that "a city set on a hill cannot be hid" (Matt. 5:14). This means his Church is a visible organization. It must have characteristics that clearly identify it and that distinguish it from other churches. Jesus promised, "I will build my Church and the gates of hell will not prevail against it" (Matt. 16:18). This means that his Church will never be destroyed and will never fall away from him. His Church will survive until his return.

Among the Christian churches, only the Catholic Church has existed since the time of Jesus. Every other Christian church is an offshoot of the Catholic Church. The Eastern Orthodox churches broke away from unity with the pope in 1054. The Protestant churches were established during the Reformation, which began in 1517. (Most of today’s Protestant churches are actually offshoots of the original Protestant offshoots.)

Only the Catholic Church existed in the tenth century, in the fifth century, and in the first century, faithfully teaching the doctrines given by Christ to the apostles, omitting nothing. The line of popes can be traced back, in unbroken succession, to Peter himself. This is unequaled by any institution in history.

Even the oldest government is new compared to the papacy, and the churches that send out door-to-door missionaries are young compared to the Catholic Church. Many of these churches began as recently as the nineteenth or twentieth centuries. Some even began during your own lifetime. None of them can claim to be the Church Jesus established.

The Catholic Church has existed for nearly 2,000 years, despite constant opposition from the world. This is testimony to the Church’s divine origin. It must be more than a merely human organization, especially considering that its human members— even some of its leaders—have been unwise, corrupt, or prone to heresy.

Any merely human organization with such members would have collapsed early on. The Catholic Church is today the most vigorous church in the world (and the largest, with a billion members: one sixth of the human race), and that is testimony not to the cleverness of the Church’s leaders, but to the protection of the Holy Spirit.

Catholics Come Home:

Old Mar 22, '06, 6:09 am

Religion: Eastern Orthodox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden
If you read "Pillar of Fire, Pillar of Truth" you will find this:

AN UNBROKEN HISTORY

Jesus said his Church would be "the light of the world." He then noted that "a city set on a hill cannot be hid" (Matt. 5:14). This means his Church is a visible organization. It must have characteristics that clearly identify it and that distinguish it from other churches. Jesus promised, "I will build my Church and the gates of hell will not prevail against it" (Matt. 16:18). This means that his Church will never be destroyed and will never fall away from him. His Church will survive until his return.

Among the Christian churches, only the Catholic Church has existed since the time of Jesus. Every other Christian church is an offshoot of the Catholic Church. The Eastern Orthodox churches broke away from unity with the pope in 1054. The Protestant churches were established during the Reformation, which began in 1517. (Most of today’s Protestant churches are actually offshoots of the original Protestant offshoots.)

BOOOOOOORING! The Eastern Catholic Church did not excommunicate itself from Rome, Rome made the effort to travel to Constantinople to do the dirty deed and during Liturgy no less. So, who separated from who here? Lets get the story straight. We Orthodox Catholics are not swallowing this swill. Those of us on this forum get pretty bored with this after awhile. Rome chose to initiate the separation we DIDNT. Thats a fact Jack.
Old Mar 22, '06, 8:12 am

Thumbs up Re: Who was the youngest Pope ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StMarkEofE
BOOOOOOORING! The Eastern Catholic Church did not excommunicate itself from Rome, Rome made the effort to travel to Constantinople to do the dirty deed and during Liturgy no less. So, who separated from who here? Lets get the story straight. We Orthodox Catholics are not swallowing this swill. Those of us on this forum get pretty bored with this after awhile. Rome chose to initiate the separation we DIDNT. Thats a fact Jack.
Can you please give us a little proof of what you just said and maybe that will be a fact,Jack
Old Mar 22, '06, 10:47 am

Religion: Latin Catholic who loves Eastern Catholicism too!

Quote:
I understand you don't like triumphalism, but you are at a CATHOLIC FORUM, like it or not, you're going toreadit.

What bothers me is that many Orthodox seem overwhelmingly triumphalistic. We're not saying your heretics, heck, we don't even call you schismatics anymore, but I don't get that favor returned at all from you guys.

Would I love a reunited Church, certainly. And I love your outlook on theology very, very much... we Latins can learn a lot from you guys.

But I would appreciate it greatly if many of you Easterners looked at us Westerners not with disdain at our Augustinian/Scholastic worldview, or our emphasis on reason and Sacred Humanity but as truly the other lung of the Church.

Otherwise, there will never be a reunion.
Old Mar 22, '06, 10:59 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
BOOOOOOORING!
The animosity of the Eastern Christians is so disappointing. Surely, if you disagreed you could have toned it down a little. This was in response to a Muslim inquiry, remember?

Catholics Come Home:

Old Mar 22, '06, 3:01 pm

Religion: Eastern Orthodox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Pick
Can you please give us a little proof of what you just said and maybe that will be a fact,Jack
Of course this belongs on the Eastern Christianity portion of CA but this notion that we are an "off shot" of the Catholic church just sent me into a tither. Much of what you want answered can be found on this other forum. And since my comment was out of place on this forum I feel that any answer/ explanation would also be out of place so I will have to bow out humbly and just stick to the topics at hand.
Old Mar 22, '06, 7:47 pm

Religion: Ecumenical Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomm
Dear Eden:
Your link (Catholic Encyclopedia) says:

The nephew of his two immediate predecessors, Benedict IX was a man of very different character to either of them. He was a disgrace to the Chair of Peter . Regarding it as a sort of heirloom, his father Alberic placed him upon it when a mere youth, not, however, apparently of only twelve years of age (according to Raoul Glaber, Hist., IV, 5, n. 17. Cf. V, 5, n. 26), but of about twenty (October, 1032).

Of his pontifical acts little is known, except that he held two or three synods in Rome and granted a number of privileges to various churches and monasteries.

The question is if he was 12 years old according to Raoul Glaber, then according to who he was 20?
[ I think he was 20 yrs. old when his Papacy ended because he reigned from 1032 to 1045 A.D. So if he was 12 at 1032, then: 1032 + 12 = 1044 A.D.
So I don't think 12 yrs is an urban myth.]
And why this Pope was a disgrace to the Chair of Peter? Was he actually a dictator/King who inherited Papacy from his immediate relatives? And despite being a disgrace, was an infallible too at the same time? If not, then how the Catholic Papacy/Magesterium working [during the 'disgraceful period' of young Benedict IX], without any infallible spiritual personality/leadership?

BTW, the very next Pope Sylvester III is considered as one of "the illegal pretenders to the Papal Chair have arisen, and frequently exercised pontifical functions in defiance of the true occupant.

Since when this amazing dictatorial Papacy ended and democratical Papacy began?

- - - -
Is that the one that virtually turned the Vatican into a brothel? I think it was the 18 year old kid, and it was about 1000 a.d.
Old Mar 22, '06, 8:52 pm

Quote:
When are protestants actually going to quit playing games. Lets see if we can drive this home

Infallibillity is not a personality trait.

The funny thing is every Sola Scripturist declares himself infallible every time he self interprets the bible because his version of faith and morals is correct, no matter what any other protestant says hense division upon division. Of course they won't admit it, they just say the bible is infallible and led me, without recognizing the other guy is saying the same thing. So to protestants I can see why it is a personality trait for them, they practice it all the time.

Go figure.

Peace and God Bless
Nicene
Old Mar 22, '06, 9:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomm
Who was the youngest Pope ever? What was his age and how he became a Pope of Church "founded" by Christ?
Want even more interesting freedomm? What 2 groups claim authority through self interpretation of their holy books?

One begins with a P, the other with an I.

If you are into scripture think on this. The catholic bible has 73 books.

What do the numbers 7 and 3 represent in the scripture?

The protestant bible has 66 books.

6 in the bible represents the imperfection of man (as Adam and Eve in the garden attempting to be God)

What does the number 666 represent in scripture?

Just a thought.

Peace and God Bless
Nicene

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics