Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Mar 30, '06, 10:26 am
AuntMartha AuntMartha is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: March 29, 2005
Posts: 395
Religion: (Formerly Lapsed) Catholic
Default RCIA First Communion Veil?

Hi,

My son and daughter are in the home stretch of RCIA! (Back story: hubby and I were away from the RCC for many years, and returned last year. The kids began RCIA in September since they are teens. With God's Grace they have decided that, YES, they want to become Catholics!) They will become full members of the Catholic Church at this year's Easter Vigil Mass.

Anyway, for my daughter, I was wondering about her wearing some sort of veil or hairpiece. I know that most ladies do not wear hats or veils anymore, so she could do this without one. But I myself always wear a hat or veil, and wondered if for something as special as First Communion - do ladies every wear First Communion velis when they come into the Catholic Church at the Easter Vigil? Or is there some sort of white wreath or something like that that a young lady could wear?

It's just that the little girls wear the veils at First Communion, and it almost doesn't seem right to not have one! Has anyone seen RCIA ladies wearing veils for this?

Thanks, Aunt Martha
__________________
Aunt Martha
  #2  
Old Mar 30, '06, 10:47 am
frommi frommi is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: January 3, 2005
Posts: 1,865
Religion: catholic
Default Re: RCIA First Communion Veil?

I've never seen this....

Practically speaking, your daughter is going to be confirmed at the vigil...and that rite is going to need her head to be able to have hands layed on it as well as chrism-ed.

Not sure it is the best plan
  #3  
Old Mar 30, '06, 10:57 am
jbuck919 jbuck919 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: March 4, 2006
Posts: 607
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: RCIA First Communion Veil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frommi
I've never seen this....

Practically speaking, your daughter is going to be confirmed at the vigil...and that rite is going to need her head to be able to have hands layed on it as well as chrism-ed.

Not sure it is the best plan
You've got to be kidding. How do you think girls were confirmed in the old days? Bareheaded? They were told exactly what to wear to cover the tops of their heads so that the bishop could still do his thing.

My thought is that the good lady does not want to embarrass her daughter by forcing her to stand out if it is not a juridical requirement that her head be covered (unless of course the daughter expresses a desire to do so).
  #4  
Old Mar 30, '06, 11:09 am
frommi frommi is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: January 3, 2005
Posts: 1,865
Religion: catholic
Default Re: RCIA First Communion Veil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuck919
You've got to be kidding. How do you think girls were confirmed in the old days? Bareheaded? They were told exactly what to wear to cover the tops of their heads so that the bishop could still do his thing.

My thought is that the good lady does not want to embarrass her daughter by forcing her to stand out if it is not a juridical requirement that her head be covered (unless of course the daughter expresses a desire to do so).
Well, I would anticipate that the presider is not going to be a bishop...and if the priest wants to get chrism on the confirmand..I'm not sure one wants a nice veil to end up covered in oil.
  #5  
Old Mar 30, '06, 12:37 pm
johnnykins johnnykins is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 2, 2005
Posts: 2,039
Religion: catholic
Default Re: RCIA First Communion Veil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frommi
Well, I would anticipate that the presider is not going to be a bishop...and if the priest wants to get chrism on the confirmand..I'm not sure one wants a nice veil to end up covered in oil.
Nice to know your concerns about the laundry. In years of attending the Vigil, I never knew anyone to get chrism on the top of the head. In any event I cannot imagine how that would be a serious issue in this matter. God gave us dry cleaning to handle this. If the young woman wants a veil - wear a veil. If not - that's her choice.

You are really too consistent in opposing any pre-VII norm to be taken too seriously as to the laundry concern.
__________________
St. Josephat pray for us
Bl. Cardinal Stepinac pray for us
  #6  
Old Mar 30, '06, 1:07 pm
jbuck919 jbuck919 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: March 4, 2006
Posts: 607
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: RCIA First Communion Veil?

I was confirmed at a younger age than is currently allowed (8) while my father was as a military man stationed on the island of Guam. All the girls, and it was a huge class, ALL the girls wore lace veils draped over their head just as everybody, boys and girls, was dressed in entirely white down to the shoes, according to the Hispanic custom that Guam preserved. (The families of the boys actually had to purchase a full white suit with shirt, white tie,white jacket and even white shoes that was used only for that occasion.) There was a reason they made our confirmation memorable by making it complicated and difficult. It was supposed to be a mystical moment, and I still remember it as such.
  #7  
Old Mar 30, '06, 1:15 pm
puzzleannie puzzleannie is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: September 7, 2004
Posts: 37,470
Religion: Catholic no adjectives
Default Re: RCIA First Communion Veil?

a first communion veil is not required of anyone, child or adult, making first communion. the discipline requiring women to cover their heads in church was lifted 40 years ago, so it is completely optional. As long as her hair is off the forehead, it won't interfere with the rite of confirmation. most teens I know would rebel if asked to wear a veil. i would concentrate on getting her a modest dress, white or pastel, which will be hard enough, given what is in the stores today.
__________________
Whatever the Lord pleases He does, on heaven and on earth, in the seas and all deeps. Ps. 135
  #8  
Old Mar 30, '06, 1:31 pm
GoLatin GoLatin is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: November 16, 2004
Posts: 590
Smile Re: RCIA First Communion Veil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleannie
a first communion veil is not required of anyone, child or adult, making first communion. the discipline requiring women to cover their heads in church was lifted 40 years ago, so it is completely optional. As long as her hair is off the forehead, it won't interfere with the rite of confirmation. most teens I know would rebel if asked to wear a veil. i would concentrate on getting her a modest dress, white or pastel, which will be hard enough, given what is in the stores today.
Actually, the discipline requiring females to cover their heads in church and when praying in public was enshrined in the 1917 Code of Canon Law. Women were REQUIRED to cover their heads, until the new Code of Canon Law came out in, I think, 1983. Many people erroneously think that this discipline was done away with earlier, but it was indeed a requirement until 1983.

In some European countries, decades ago, women stopped covering their heads in church, to such an extent that in some places people have not even heard of that tradition.

In response to the original poster, by all means a female should wear a white dress and veil when Confirmed, no matter what the age.
  #9  
Old Mar 30, '06, 1:41 pm
Br. Rich SFO Br. Rich SFO is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: June 3, 2004
Posts: 11,454
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: RCIA First Communion Veil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntMartha
Hi,

My son and daughter are in the home stretch of RCIA! (Back story: hubby and I were away from the RCC for many years, and returned last year. The kids began RCIA in September since they are teens. With God's Grace they have decided that, YES, they want to become Catholics!) They will become full members of the Catholic Church at this year's Easter Vigil Mass.

Anyway, for my daughter, I was wondering about her wearing some sort of veil or hairpiece. I know that most ladies do not wear hats or veils anymore, so she could do this without one. But I myself always wear a hat or veil, and wondered if for something as special as First Communion - do ladies every wear First Communion velis when they come into the Catholic Church at the Easter Vigil? Or is there some sort of white wreath or something like that that a young lady could wear?

It's just that the little girls wear the veils at First Communion, and it almost doesn't seem right to not have one! Has anyone seen RCIA ladies wearing veils for this?

Thanks, Aunt Martha
Generaly adults do not. If she is not being Baptized a white ribbon in her hair would work. If she is being Baptized she will not wear white until after Baptism and then a white ribbon could be added to her hair. Nothing prevents a white veil however she may feel out of place if no one else is wearing one. I don't know the specific origin of the Communion veil. It may very well be related to the pre-vatican II requirement of women covering their heads in church?
  #10  
Old Mar 30, '06, 1:42 pm
cecilia97's Avatar
cecilia97 cecilia97 is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: May 21, 2005
Posts: 2,046
Religion: having a good time being seriously Catholic
Default Re: RCIA First Communion Veil?

Aunt Martha,

I have seen people in just about everything at RCIA and non-RCIA group First Communions and Confirmations. Veil, no veil, white dress, not white, so on. It's a special day for your family and your daughter should feel comfortable. CONGRATULATIONS!
  #11  
Old Mar 30, '06, 3:21 pm
AuntMartha AuntMartha is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: March 29, 2005
Posts: 395
Religion: (Formerly Lapsed) Catholic
Default Re: RCIA First Communion Veil?

Thanks all, for the replies.

I haven't yet talked to my daughter about this. I wanted to find out what is usually done first. I'm also going to ask the priest at the next RCIA class (which is tonight). I just wanted to be able to say, "For First Communion, the ladies usually wear..." and give her an accurate description of what is worn for this ceremony. If she doesn't want to wear a veil, that's okay with me, but I'd also like it if she did. I was thinking a white dress and perhaps a hair bow, with ribbons hanging from it, or a hair comb with ribbons. Something to capture the flavor of a Communion veil.

I'm also going to ask the other woman in the class what she plans on doing. She might be open to the same idea. I just like the idea of something special for such a special occasion.

I'll let you all know what the ladies end up doing!

Thanks again,
Aunt Martha
__________________
Aunt Martha
  #12  
Old Mar 30, '06, 4:08 pm
OutinChgoburbs OutinChgoburbs is offline
Senior Member
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: December 28, 2004
Posts: 7,008
Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)
Default Re: RCIA First Communion Veil?

If she is over 13, good luck with getting her to wear one. It has been my experience unless the girl is under 13 (and 12 is stretching it), AND the other girls in the class are wearing it, you will have to fight her to get into a modest white or pastel dress, as Annie said.

Young women in an average Latin Rite parish in the United States (English Mass) in the age group above 12 too often wear as little as possible. White veils with elastic bands or plastic headbands, fake flowers, ruffles and lace won't cut it for that age. You'll need to wait on that one until she marries.

HOWEVER, if her mother asked her very nicely, and got her a special mantilla, white, very grown-up in style...That might go over better.
  #13  
Old Mar 30, '06, 4:43 pm
Elzee Elzee is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: January 27, 2005
Posts: 2,109
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: RCIA First Communion Veil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnykins
Nice to know your concerns about the laundry. In years of attending the Vigil, I never knew anyone to get chrism on the top of the head.
As your pastor (if he is doing it instead of the Bishop) how he does this. Our priest uses a LOT of oil - annointing directly on the forehead AND the top of the head (not in the middle on top, but definitely the foreward part of the top of the head if that makes any sense).
  #14  
Old Mar 30, '06, 7:26 pm
deb1 deb1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 7, 2005
Posts: 7,108
Religion: RCIA
Default Re: RCIA First Communion Veil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elzee
As your pastor (if he is doing it instead of the Bishop) how he does this. Our priest uses a LOT of oil - annointing directly on the forehead AND the top of the head (not in the middle on top, but definitely the foreward part of the top of the head if that makes any sense).
I was also forewarned by several people who are involved in the RCIA at my church that our father is very liberal with the oil. I was told by one man, who converted from Baptist, that he also got oil on the front top of his nearly bald head. So, please ask.
  #15  
Old Mar 30, '06, 7:37 pm
JimG JimG is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: May 23, 2004
Posts: 22,333
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: RCIA First Communion Veil?

I have heard of some priests and bishops who, when anointing for confirmation at Easter Vigil, like to literally pour oil from a pitcher over the confirmand's head so that it runs down their face. In those cases, though, they are usually wearing special white garments, and change later into their Easter outfit!
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8257Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: GLam8833
5018CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: UpUpAndAway
4345Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: lsbar
4029OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: B79
3834SOLITUDE
Last by: tuscany
3570Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3230Poems and Reflections
Last by: tonyg
3203Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: memphian
3130Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3048For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: tammany



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:19 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.