Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Apr 8, '06, 2:52 pm
whatevergirl whatevergirl is offline
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: April 7, 2006
Posts: 23,255
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default If you break a Lenten 'promise...'

....is that a sin? I went to Confession on Tuesday night, and asked this question of the priest. He said it wouldn't be considered a sin, necessarily, but to continue each day and try harder to meet my Lenten commitments. For this Lent, I 'vowed' to say the Rosary nightly, and it started off great, but for the past week, I haven't been saying them. I also 'promised' God that I would go to church one day per week, at 6:45 am. (before work) I look at that as a 'sleep fast.' LOL (I like to sleep) But I started off great too, and for the past two weeks, nada...I have not gone during the week.

Anyways...I have 'shunned' that as well. Not because I have willingly dismissed my promises, but for example, I was sick over the past week, and just couldn't get up earlier. (typing this looks pathetic, but I'd like to confess this to all of you)

So, the priest said I should try harder, and I have been. Here's what I also plan on doing...'extending' the promises from Lent until I complete them. I don't believe that Lent is a 'keeping score' of what I did or didn't do, however, I chose these things, as methods to becoming stronger in my relationship to Christ. I pray day and night, and adore the Rosary...but I will honestly admit, tv might have been a distraction. (embarrassing) The priest explained to me also, that my own reflection on what I didn't 'complete,' brings me closer to Christ, and could have also been Christ's purpose--to show where my weaknesses and excuses lie. I liked his insight. (another plus of going to Confession--you CAN ask private questions of the priest, as long as they're brief)

So--have any of you not fulfilled your Lenten commitments, and if not, do you plan on continuing them after Lent? Do you feel badly about it?

Thanks for listening!! And, please pray for me that I stay strong on what's left of my Lenten journey (and a few weeks after to make up for what I feel I need to fulfill) I love the Lord, yet I feel like I've let Him down by falling short with my Lenten promises--and He has done so much for me.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Apr 8, '06, 3:36 pm
m134e5 m134e5 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 8, 2004
Posts: 3,499
Default Re: If you break a Lenten 'promise...'

It's not a sin to not always follow up on a Lenten resolution. It's an imperfection, but not a sin. It may, however, be a sign of an underlying problem- spiritual sloth- which is sinful.
When you are making Lenten resolutions, try to make at least one that you know you're going to be able to do almost every day without fail. It could be as simple as spending 10 minutes a day meditating on Jesus' passion.

It would be nice to pray the liturgy of the hours, go to daily mass, daily confession, a daily holy hour in front of the Sacrament, 20 decades of the rosary every day, the divine mercy and stations of the cross, and whatever other devotions you can think of every day- but I know if I made a resolution like that, I wouldn't last more than 2 or 3 days- I may not even last one- and I know I'd end up neglecting my duties as a student during that time too. Don't try to run when you know you're just learning how to stand.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Apr 8, '06, 3:46 pm
whatevergirl whatevergirl is offline
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: April 7, 2006
Posts: 23,255
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: If you break a Lenten 'promise...'

Good points. I actually have prayed the Rosary nightly back in October, when that was the month of the Rosary. It stuck with me, but then I fell out of it, and decided I would devote myself to it again during Lent. It SHOULD be doable....sheesh! This has shown me that sometimes tv and the internet, etc...can become distractions from prayer. Thanks for your comment....

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Apr 9, '06, 11:07 am
Ruthie Ruthie is offline
Regular Member
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: May 1, 2005
Posts: 2,128
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: If you break a Lenten 'promise...'

You and I have something in common, whatevergirl. I, too, love my sleep, and I also promised to say the Rosary once a day during Lent. I chose bedtime.

Someone asked this question on the Ask an Apologist forum, and the answer was that Lenten promises are voluntary, so you can change your mind.

Don't give up if you've slacked off - just start again. Especially if you want the habit to last beyond Lent.

Now for a smile... There have been nights when I fell asleep before completing the Rosary. Even one or two where I didn't make it out of the Apostles' Creed. The Rosary has now become part of my ritual for falling asleep.

The result of this is that, when I say it during the day, I yawn all through it!
__________________
Tiber Swim Team, class of 2006
H.L.S. Club

"Your every act should be done with love." -1 Cor 16:14
"Love is not a wimp emotion." - Fr. John Corapi
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Apr 9, '06, 11:19 am
Annunciata's Avatar
Annunciata Annunciata is offline
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: May 28, 2004
Posts: 26,168
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: If you break a Lenten 'promise...'

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatevergirl
.......The priest explained to me also, that my own reflection on what I didn't 'complete,' brings me closer to Christ, and could have also been Christ's purpose--to show where my weaknesses and excuses lie. I liked his insight. (another plus of going to Confession--you CAN ask private questions of the priest, as long as they're brief)
Excellent priest!
Quote:
So--have any of you not fulfilled your Lenten commitments, and if not, do you plan on continuing them after Lent? Do you feel badly about it?

.
Sometimes in my "zeal" I try to give up too much...CAF for example...It's been really hard! I restricted myself to the prayer threads...but found myself "communicating" w/ smiles on my favorite Water Cooler Thread...not exactly keeping my sacrifice... However, I'm not going to let it get me down...I'm going to "Begin Again"...and this week I will reslove to refrain from this... (BTW, you don't have to fast on Sunday)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Apr 10, '06, 9:48 am
cheeto1 cheeto1 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 13, 2004
Posts: 2,359
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: If you break a Lenten 'promise...'

How many people do you think would make it through

basic training if they had to train themselves and didn't have
a sergeant? Yet that's what we expect of ourselves during
Lent. Have you ever heard this: A man's got to know his
limitations. You don't know what you can do until you try.
When you see your limitations, work with yourself. Give
yourself something smaller, something you will do. God will
appreciate it more than your grand expectations of yourself.
And when you succeed, resist the temptation to congratulate
yourself. If we can do anything good, it is by God's power, not
our own.

Blessings to you this holy week, may you feel God's presence.

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Apr 10, '06, 7:56 pm
whatevergirl whatevergirl is offline
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: April 7, 2006
Posts: 23,255
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: If you break a Lenten 'promise...'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeto1
How many people do you think would make it through

basic training if they had to train themselves and didn't have
a sergeant? Yet that's what we expect of ourselves during
Lent. Have you ever heard this: A man's got to know his
limitations. You don't know what you can do until you try.
When you see your limitations, work with yourself. Give
yourself something smaller, something you will do. God will
appreciate it more than your grand expectations of yourself.
And when you succeed, resist the temptation to congratulate
yourself. If we can do anything good, it is by God's power, not
our own.

Blessings to you this holy week, may you feel God's presence.

I am soooo glad you posted--thanks for the encouragement, really! Have a happy Easter!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Apr 10, '06, 8:53 pm
Traditional Ang's Avatar
Traditional Ang Traditional Ang is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: October 28, 2004
Posts: 3,988
Religion: TAC >>> Maronite Catholic
Default Re: If you break a Lenten 'promise...'

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatevergirl
....is that a sin? I went to Confession on Tuesday night, and asked this question of the priest. He said it wouldn't be considered a sin, necessarily, but to continue each day and try harder to meet my Lenten commitments. For this Lent, I 'vowed' to say the Rosary nightly, and it started off great, but for the past week, I haven't been saying them. I also 'promised' God that I would go to church one day per week, at 6:45 am. (before work) I look at that as a 'sleep fast.' LOL (I like to sleep) But I started off great too, and for the past two weeks, nada...I have not gone during the week.

Anyways...I have 'shunned' that as well. Not because I have willingly dismissed my promises, but for example, I was sick over the past week, and just couldn't get up earlier. (typing this looks pathetic, but I'd like to confess this to all of you)

So, the priest said I should try harder, and I have been. Here's what I also plan on doing...'extending' the promises from Lent until I complete them. I don't believe that Lent is a 'keeping score' of what I did or didn't do, however, I chose these things, as methods to becoming stronger in my relationship to Christ. I pray day and night, and adore the Rosary...but I will honestly admit, tv might have been a distraction. (embarrassing) The priest explained to me also, that my own reflection on what I didn't 'complete,' brings me closer to Christ, and could have also been Christ's purpose--to show where my weaknesses and excuses lie. I liked his insight. (another plus of going to Confession--you CAN ask private questions of the priest, as long as they're brief)

So--have any of you not fulfilled your Lenten commitments, and if not, do you plan on continuing them after Lent? Do you feel badly about it?

Thanks for listening!! And, please pray for me that I stay strong on what's left of my Lenten journey (and a few weeks after to make up for what I feel I need to fulfill) I love the Lord, yet I feel like I've let Him down by falling short with my Lenten promises--and He has done so much for me.
whatevergirl

It's not a sin, but as m134e5 said, it might be a sign of some deeper problem. Remember, our Lenten Disciplines are supposed to bring us closer to the Lord and to help us come to grips with areas in our lives that are keeping us from closer union with God.

Was that the purpose of your Lenten Discipline?

If you were sick you were sick - You should ease up on yourself about not making Mass that week and start making it this week, if you haven't already - You also might want to look at http://masstimes.org or your Diocesan website for a parish near you that has a Mass AFTER WORK so that you can still attend Mass on those days when you couldn't make it in the morning.

As far as the Rosary, try a "Prayer Partner" or do it with Mother Mary Angelica and her Nuns on EWTN

You'll didn't let the Lord down. Remember, Peter denied HIM and Judas betrayed HIM, and HIS disciples all ran that Thursday night.

May you have a blessed Holy Week.

In Christ, Michael
__________________
"I looked for a man among them who would build up the wall and stand before me in the gap on behalf of the land so I would not have to destroy it... Ezekiel 22:30 NIV
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Apr 11, '06, 7:22 am
marypar marypar is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: August 15, 2005
Posts: 154
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: If you break a Lenten 'promise...'

Hi, I also promised that I would say the Rosary daily for Lent. The Rosary is very hard for me to say and concentrate on. So far, I have been successful saying it daily during Lent, but doubt I can continue after Lent. I find it very difficult to concentrate and sometimes I feel like I am rushing, but try to mentally concentrate on Christ's Passion and I say the Sorrowful Mysteries each time. I also was afraid it would be a sin, and just keep plugging along. This thread helped me realize that my scrupulosity had me thinking it was a sin. maryann
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Apr 11, '06, 6:50 pm
whatevergirl whatevergirl is offline
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: April 7, 2006
Posts: 23,255
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: If you break a Lenten 'promise...'

Quote:
Originally Posted by marypar
Hi, I also promised that I would say the Rosary daily for Lent. The Rosary is very hard for me to say and concentrate on. So far, I have been successful saying it daily during Lent, but doubt I can continue after Lent. I find it very difficult to concentrate and sometimes I feel like I am rushing, but try to mentally concentrate on Christ's Passion and I say the Sorrowful Mysteries each time. I also was afraid it would be a sin, and just keep plugging along. This thread helped me realize that my scrupulosity had me thinking it was a sin. maryann
God bless you, Mary--You know what has helped me out sooo much with saying the Rosary? I bought a 'Mysteries of the Rosary' handbook, where there's a little mini-story (about 30 seconds) for each Mystery, designed to break up the Mysteries for certain days. It is a wonderful addition to the Rosary, and you'll be able to concentrate more--awaiting the next 'story.' My daughter has come to love the Rosary now, because of this booklet, and she's only 9.

I encourage you to pick one up at your local Catholic bookshop.
God bless--thanks for your reply.

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Apr 11, '06, 6:52 pm
whatevergirl whatevergirl is offline
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: April 7, 2006
Posts: 23,255
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: If you break a Lenten 'promise...'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional Ang
whatevergirl

It's not a sin, but as m134e5 said, it might be a sign of some deeper problem. Remember, our Lenten Disciplines are supposed to bring us closer to the Lord and to help us come to grips with areas in our lives that are keeping us from closer union with God.

Was that the purpose of your Lenten Discipline?

If you were sick you were sick - You should ease up on yourself about not making Mass that week and start making it this week, if you haven't already - You also might want to look at http://masstimes.org or your Diocesan website for a parish near you that has a Mass AFTER WORK so that you can still attend Mass on those days when you couldn't make it in the morning.

As far as the Rosary, try a "Prayer Partner" or do it with Mother Mary Angelica and her Nuns on EWTN

You'll didn't let the Lord down. Remember, Peter denied HIM and Judas betrayed HIM, and HIS disciples all ran that Thursday night.

May you have a blessed Holy Week.

In Christ, Michael
Thank you--I do enjoy the EWTN Rosary with Mother Angelica...although, sometimes it can sound a bit monotone...LOL But, she's an amazing woman, no?

God bless,
WG
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Apr 11, '06, 7:04 pm
HappyCatholic01 HappyCatholic01 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: September 12, 2005
Posts: 1,060
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: If you break a Lenten 'promise...'

I think it depends on whether that which you gave up was a sin to begin with, doesn't it?

I have fallen short before, many people have. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and sin no more!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Apr 11, '06, 11:25 pm
Myangel Myangel is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 11, 2005
Posts: 719
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: If you break a Lenten 'promise...'

Quote:
Originally Posted by marypar
Hi, I also promised that I would say the Rosary daily for Lent. The Rosary is very hard for me to say and concentrate on. So far, I have been successful saying it daily during Lent, but doubt I can continue after Lent. I find it very difficult to concentrate and sometimes I feel like I am rushing, but try to mentally concentrate on Christ's Passion and I say the Sorrowful Mysteries each time. I also was afraid it would be a sin, and just keep plugging along. This thread helped me realize that my scrupulosity had me thinking it was a sin. maryann
I like to say the Rosary daily too. I have the Rosary on CD (all 4 mysteries) so every day driving home from wk I say the Rosary however on weekends its not that easy, but I try and find the time. Saying the Rosary however was not what I promised doing during Lent. I gave up 2 of my favourite foods and have fallen twice So even if you fall, get back up and keep on trying!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Apr 11, '06, 11:43 pm
LilyM's Avatar
LilyM LilyM is offline
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: February 1, 2006
Posts: 33,179
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: If you break a Lenten 'promise...'

Likewise with the indulging in forbidden food - I fell three times but then Someone else did too as I recall

On the other hand I think there were only two Sundays where I indulged, and I'll fast properly on both Friday AND Saturday to make up for it.

I'm travelling those days (someone else doing the driving thank heaven), so it should be easier to do it then. Suppose I could pray more as well - I'll have time to.
__________________

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!


God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8246Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: GLam8833
5011CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: James_OPL
4344Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: James_OPL
4029OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: B79
3830SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2
3562Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
3223Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
3203Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: memphian
3112Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: lewisjoan
3047For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: Thomas Choe



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:27 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.