Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 9, '06, 3:33 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Padre Pio

Does anybody have a Padre Pio story to share to uplift me?

Love,
Terry
Old Apr 9, '06, 4:14 am

Default Re: Padre Pio

I was never attracted to find out more about the saint, aside from occasionally seeing a program on EWTN.

I am puzzled by the report that he was given the stigmata, wore those half-gloves even while celebrating Mass, and was found to be completely healed of the stigmata at the time of his death.

I'm sort of skeptical of the stigmata in general, anyway. I don't believe it's a matter of dogma that Catholics are bound to.

There was a program on EWTN once, about which I complained in an email to [email protected], in which a priest was making statements about Pio's life. One of the odd comments was, that Pio would take children to his monastic cell and give them candy.

That sounds very odd by today's standards of conduct. That's why I complained about the program.

The priest also made the assertion that all the souls in purgatory were in attendance at each of Pio's masses.

Pio supposedly took a very long time to celebrate Mass, a couple hours if I remember this correctly. I am confused by that. It seems that the Mass is a public worship, and Pio was making it into a private devotion.

I find these mystical events to be unbelievable, but perhaps they will uplift you. If you can raise up my faith, give it a shot.
Old Apr 9, '06, 4:45 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumpy
I was never attracted to find out more about the saint, aside from occasionally seeing a program on EWTN.

I am puzzled by the report that he was given the stigmata, wore those half-gloves even while celebrating Mass, and was found to be completely healed of the stigmata at the time of his death.I'm sort of skeptical of the stigmata in general, anyway. I don't believe it's a matter of dogma that Catholics are bound to.

There was a program on EWTN once, about which I complained in an email to [email protected], in which a priest was making statements about Pio's life. One of the odd comments was, that Pio would take children to his monastic cell and give them candy.

That sounds very odd by today's standards of conduct. That's why I complained about the program.

The priest also made the assertion that all the souls in purgatory were in attendance at each of Pio's masses.

Pio supposedly took a very long time to celebrate Mass, a couple hours if I remember this correctly. I am confused by that. It seems that the Mass is a public worship, and Pio was making it into a private devotion.

I find these mystical events to be unbelievable, but perhaps they will uplift you. If you can raise up my faith, give it a shot.
I find it sad you feel this way. Padre Pio was indeed a remarkable priest (now saint). The stigmata is no myth. It was filmed during his lifetime and when he died. In fact it disappeared exactly 50 years after it first appeared.
Frankly all your other comments too, albeit your opinion, are wrong.
Old Apr 9, '06, 4:53 am

Taking children to his cell would certainly not been allowed, especially since he was under constant watch by friends and enemies.

I once dreamt him long before I knew of him and only realized when I saw his photo but then at certain times in my life I question myself about everything and anything.

However, it is reported by doctors etc. that people were cured by his intercession and I;ve read and heard some amazing stories that are not refuted and this has been in our times!

I think I've watch too much Star Trek & Twilight Zones and can question far too much.

Terry
Old Apr 9, '06, 12:37 pm
Observing Member

Funny this should come up as I'm re-reading a biography on Padre Pio by C. Bernard Ruffin published in 1991. Interestly, he is a Protestant writing about a Catholic figure. Anyway, the reason why Padre Pio's masses were so long (sometimes up to four hours, but mostly 90 minutes), was because he took very,very long and seriously the Remembrace of the Living and the Dead during that part of the Mass when he came to it. Most of us just remember a few names and move on, but Padre Pio probably verbalized/or mentally thought of the hundreds and hundreds of souls that were recommended to his prayers. In later years, at the direction of his superiors, he shortened down his public massess to about 90 minutes.
Old Apr 9, '06, 1:09 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryPaul
Does anybody have a Padre Pio story to share to uplift me?

Love,
Terry
I ahve a modern day story for you from one of our irish Parishes.
Only last year a young boy lay dying from cancer. he was awaiting the end. His family would never consider themselves devout by any standards. They passed on the faith in the little way that they could.
Shortly before he died someone brought a picture of Padre Pio into the childs room and the child rightly recognised him and named him just as the picture was being brought to him.
How did you know that? His mother asked in suprise. She was certain that they had never spoken about Padre Pio and had never had an image of him in their home.
You young boy sat up and said "That's a picture of Padre Pio and I know for certain that it is him because he comes to visit me each night here in the hospital."
Needless to say the story sent shockwaves throughout the Parish.
Amazing huh?

Ruins: the grass is high here Christ arrived, passed by
here the Mass was said.
The church across the way, here Christ comes every day
here the Mass is said.
Until that secret hour, when Christ returns in power
the Mass will still be said
Old Apr 9, '06, 1:23 pm

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)
Cool Re: Padre Pio

Some of my favorites from among the many at http://www.padrepiodevotions.org/

"I would like to share with you the grace I received from Padre Pio.

In October of 1987, I was very depressed and nearly had a nervous breakdown. Because of this mental state, my thoughts were very threatening and very, very frightful. In my darkest moment, my mother introduced me to Padre Pio and told me he would help. From that day onward I put all my trust and faith in Padre Pio and prayed to him daily for a cure for my state of mind.

Then one night, I awoke suddenly and saw the figure of a monk in a brown robe with a beard. The next morning I told my mother of this experience. She told me it was Padre Pio watching over me. From that night onward I began to feel better.

Today I feel great and I am a dedicated follower of Padre Pio.
- P. Presta"

++++++

"I made a novena to Padre Pio about four weeks ago for my brother.

For the last seven years he has been homebound after having a nervous breakdown. He had been on medication and seeing a psychiatrist on a regular basis. Instead of getting better he was getting worse. He stopped going out completely. We were all concerned for him as he is only 34 years old and living the life of a recluse while being dependent on my elderly parents.

I made the novena as suggested. One day after the novena (my mother did not know that I made this novena) my mother informed me that my brother had actually gone out on his own for a walk and then a few days later he went for a drive with my mother. This was a giant step from how he was before.

His doctor is very impressed with his improvement and has cut back his medication. He is now going for walks on his own. He is actually driving alone now and even talking of trying to seek employment.

This is truly a miracle.
- Name Withheld"

++++++

"Late one night walking to my home from work, I was praying the Rosary for help to overcome a problem I had with alcohol, which was worsening.

I was newly married, had an infant son and I realized that unless my drinking problem was defeated my future would be filled with disaster. I was determined to overcome the problem and in my worry about it, I turned to Padre Pio for help as I prayed the Rosary.

Suddenly I became aware of a fragrance of indescribable character. It seemed to envelop me with its delightful aroma, which produced a deep sense of peace and satisfaction. Suddenly the fragrance stopped. A few steps later I was home and as was my practice, the first thing I did, was to visit my infant son asleep in his crib. As I entered my son's room, again, the fragrance returned. Then it vanished.

Remember, I had asked Padre Pio to help me overcome my alcohol problem. Quite amazingly I must tell you, from the night of the fragrance to this very day, I developed and have maintained a deep disgust for alcohol, and for more than twenty years have had no desire whatsoever to drink alcohol in any form. It was after this experience that I learned that Padre Pio often uses fragrances as a sign that a prayer will be answered.
-Name Withheld"

++++++

"One time Padre Pio gave me a rosary and said to me, "Pray, pray, pray. We are going to empty Purgatory with our prayers."

Padre Pio was prayer in person. He prayed night and day and worked always with a rosary in his hand.

Just a few days before he died I said to him, "Father, give me at least one word."

He said, "Love the Madonna. Encourage others to love her and recite her rosary. That is the armor against the evils of the world today." On another occasion he said to me, "I know you inside and out, like you know yourself in a mirror.

(My personal comment: God appeared to have given Padre Pio the supernatural gift of prophesy, and in order to help him in the confessional, also the grace to discern the true state of other peoples souls. With this gift, he was able to know whether those coming to him for confession were hiding mortal sin, or were coming to him for confession out of mere curiosity or superstition rather than true sorrow for sins and love of God.)
- Cleonice Morcaldi"

++++++

Another favorite website is located here as well.

God Bless,

Francisco

St. Anthony the Great
Old Apr 9, '06, 2:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryPaul
Taking children to his cell would certainly not been allowed, especially since he was under constant watch by friends and enemies.
Terry
Padre Pio was a kind man who loved people. He had many visitors. I imagine most people who met him did not experience mystical phenomenon. There were two periods of his life where he was not allowed to talk or even celebrate Mass with other people. The prohibition was in response to lies generated by those who were envious of him. He obeyed perfectly.

Obedience is the litmus test for sanctity--esp for vowed religious.

However, girls and women were not allowed in the friary, so it was only the dads and the boys who could visit his actual cell. Even his mother could not enter.

I believe if you completely ignored all the mystical events, miracles and signs--you would still recognize him as a saint. He practiced heroic virtue. The signs and miracles are faith affirming though--a peek into Heaven.

I have no personal stories, but my mom just yesterday gave me a book called Padre Pio and America. It has interviews with American GI's who knew him during and after WWII. I'm looking forward to reading it.
Old Apr 9, '06, 10:22 pm

Your stories are beautiful and is rekindling the joy and security I used to feel when I was reading about Padre Pio and praying for his intercession every day years ago.

Does somebody have the "novena prayer to Padre Pio"?

I'm emotionally shattered .... my dad just died, he was found dead last Sunday. He was a kind man who sought God but never could seem to find Him in a way that I could see.

I begged Dad while he was alive to try to add up all the facts about God and see that God is real and I also begged him to make previsions for us in the case of an emergency or his death. Now he is gone and I am living out the choices that he made!

I am from his first marriage and he had been reconciling with my mother for a number of years now but because it was never legal - civil remarriage - his ex-wife has hijacked the funeral, his will, the house, everything!

Will God bring good out of this?

In fact, he had money in the house that he was getting ready to send me for a deposit on the house that we are renting. The owner wants to sell after almost 5 years and was making it affordable to us, so my dad was going to send the down payment but now he has died and my mum, my wife and our 4 children (4 years of age and under) have to move and we have not found a place that is suitable and affordable and we are grieving his loss.

And I worry if he is in Jesus' arms or not?!?!?!?

I am practically without any comfort, there is nowhere in the world I want to be, nothing I feel would be me happy again and yet like Padre Pio, I want to suffer for my sins and the sins of the world as our faith teaches but my world seems so small right now that I feel crushed in!

What do I do? Do I ask that this suffering be removed .... no, not if it will help and yet what about quality of life?

Anybody?

Love,
Terry
Old Apr 10, '06, 6:56 pm

Hang in there Terry. I'll be praying for you. Hopefully this is the novena you're looking for http://www.padrepio.catholicwebservices.com/ENGLISH/Novena.htm.

I recommend anyone seeking a stronger faith to read about St. Pio and ask for his blessings. For me, the best St. Pio book is "Padre Pio: A Man of Hope" by Renzo Allegri. I recommend it before reading any other St. Pio book.

I don't know how anyone can doubt St. Pio when you observe his holiness, self-sacrifice, and absolute obedience to God's representatives on earth.

If anyone doubts him, I ask why would someone put themselves through so much suffering for something they conspired, something that would gain them nothing in this world? He heard confessions up to 17 hours a day, beside the celebration of his 2-3 hr. daily Mass. He only slept for about three hours at night and ate less than a baby (300-400 calories a day). He bled and perspired more than he took in. He was in continual pain from his pierced hands, feet, and side. He did all this to unite his sufferings with Christ for the conversion of sinners.

Who has the audacity to say that St. Pio self-inflicted his five wounds? And think, if he did, he would not have done it once, but thousands of times over throughout his life because for 50 years they were open and never healed, continually bleeding. At the same time, they never became infected.

At his death, not even a scar was left on his body. How can such penetrating wounds not leave a scar? The wounds are so well documented (thousands saw them as well as doctors and scientists) that St. Pio's enemies did not argue the possibility of his wounds, but instead that they were self-inflicted.

There are really only two ways of looking at Padre Pio. One, he was a lunatic and the thousands that attest to his miracles are all liars, including a whole convent. And people all over the world, of every religion, or even none at all, experience healings from him. Or you can believe the Church that Padre Pio is a saint.
Old Apr 10, '06, 7:50 pm

huh .... right, how true you are .... thank you .... T.

I guess there is a block between my mind and my heart .... not about Pio, about life .... maybe this is why people can't seem to believe .... maybe this is why faith is a gift .....
Old Apr 10, '06, 8:42 pm

Send a message via MSN to FuzzyBunny116 Send a message via Yahoo to FuzzyBunny116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergal
I ahve a modern day story for you from one of our irish Parishes.
Only last year a young boy lay dying from cancer. he was awaiting the end. His family would never consider themselves devout by any standards. They passed on the faith in the little way that they could.
Shortly before he died someone brought a picture of Padre Pio into the childs room and the child rightly recognised him and named him just as the picture was being brought to him.
How did you know that? His mother asked in suprise. She was certain that they had never spoken about Padre Pio and had never had an image of him in their home.
You young boy sat up and said "That's a picture of Padre Pio and I know for certain that it is him because he comes to visit me each night here in the hospital."
Needless to say the story sent shockwaves throughout the Parish.
Amazing huh?
Thats a pretty slick story. Do you have a reference for it? I'd love to pass it on, but preferably with a reference.

Simon Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life."
- John 6:68
"Who is unto God?!?"

Michael
Old Sep 6, '06, 8:24 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to scapularkid8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumpy View Post
I'm sort of skeptical of the stigmata in general
My grandpa's uncle knew Padre Pio personally and was friends with him. He doubted that he had the stigmata too and while in the sacristy during a Mass St. Pio was saying he went to the table where Padre Pio would put the gloves he covered his stigmata wounds with and they were not there after he saw him place them there before Mass and nobody else had been in that room since the Mass began. That story convinced me to take him as my Confirmation saint.

"Jesus died, Christ arose. Thatís precisely what the transformation is -- Christís consciousness untied from a specific place and time."

I contemplate my Theosis as only beginning.
Old Sep 6, '06, 8:36 pm

Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite

Quote:
Originally Posted by franciscomarto View Post
Some of my favorites from among the many at http://www.padrepiodevotions.org/

"I would like to share with you the grace I received from Padre Pio.

In October of 1987, I was very depressed and nearly had a nervous breakdown. Because of this mental state, my thoughts were very threatening and very, very frightful. In my darkest moment, my mother introduced me to Padre Pio and told me he would help. From that day onward I put all my trust and faith in Padre Pio and prayed to him daily for a cure for my state of mind.

Then one night, I awoke suddenly and saw the figure of a monk in a brown robe with a beard. The next morning I told my mother of this experience. She told me it was Padre Pio watching over me. From that night onward I began to feel better.

Today I feel great and I am a dedicated follower of Padre Pio.
- P. Presta"

++++++

"I made a novena to Padre Pio about four weeks ago for my brother.

For the last seven years he has been homebound after having a nervous breakdown. He had been on medication and seeing a psychiatrist on a regular basis. Instead of getting better he was getting worse. He stopped going out completely. We were all concerned for him as he is only 34 years old and living the life of a recluse while being dependent on my elderly parents.

I made the novena as suggested. One day after the novena (my mother did not know that I made this novena) my mother informed me that my brother had actually gone out on his own for a walk and then a few days later he went for a drive with my mother. This was a giant step from how he was before.

His doctor is very impressed with his improvement and has cut back his medication. He is now going for walks on his own. He is actually driving alone now and even talking of trying to seek employment.

This is truly a miracle.
- Name Withheld"

++++++

"Late one night walking to my home from work, I was praying the Rosary for help to overcome a problem I had with alcohol, which was worsening.

I was newly married, had an infant son and I realized that unless my drinking problem was defeated my future would be filled with disaster. I was determined to overcome the problem and in my worry about it, I turned to Padre Pio for help as I prayed the Rosary.

Suddenly I became aware of a fragrance of indescribable character. It seemed to envelop me with its delightful aroma, which produced a deep sense of peace and satisfaction. Suddenly the fragrance stopped. A few steps later I was home and as was my practice, the first thing I did, was to visit my infant son asleep in his crib. As I entered my son's room, again, the fragrance returned. Then it vanished.

Remember, I had asked Padre Pio to help me overcome my alcohol problem. Quite amazingly I must tell you, from the night of the fragrance to this very day, I developed and have maintained a deep disgust for alcohol, and for more than twenty years have had no desire whatsoever to drink alcohol in any form. It was after this experience that I learned that Padre Pio often uses fragrances as a sign that a prayer will be answered.
-Name Withheld"

++++++

"One time Padre Pio gave me a rosary and said to me, "Pray, pray, pray. We are going to empty Purgatory with our prayers."

Padre Pio was prayer in person. He prayed night and day and worked always with a rosary in his hand.

Just a few days before he died I said to him, "Father, give me at least one word."

He said, "Love the Madonna. Encourage others to love her and recite her rosary. That is the armor against the evils of the world today." On another occasion he said to me, "I know you inside and out, like you know yourself in a mirror.

(My personal comment: God appeared to have given Padre Pio the supernatural gift of prophesy, and in order to help him in the confessional, also the grace to discern the true state of other peoples souls. With this gift, he was able to know whether those coming to him for confession were hiding mortal sin, or were coming to him for confession out of mere curiosity or superstition rather than true sorrow for sins and love of God.)
- Cleonice Morcaldi"

++++++

Another favorite website is located here as well.

God Bless,

Francisco
Those stories should be inspiring, but all they did was scare me before I got ready for bed
Old Sep 6, '06, 9:22 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabronie View Post
Those stories should be inspiring, but all they did was scare me before I got ready for bed
I would never find the idea of dreaming about a saint scary. And I love the idea that he's helped so many.

Christ The Lord Is Risen Today! Alleluia!!

God bless and keep our new Pope Francis - Viva il Papa!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality