Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 10, '06, 5:59 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Old Magnificat's

Dear Readers,
What do you do with your old Magnificat's? Is there a place where you reguarly donate them? If I can't find a place to donate them, do you think it would be OK to burn them?
Thanks and God Bless
H
Old Apr 10, '06, 6:13 am
Banned

Religion: Eastern Catholic
Default Re: Old Magnificat's

Ask St. John Cantius is Chicago. They are in the business of preserving holy objects that other Church regularly throw away. This may not be in that category but they have monstrances, crucifixes, nativities scenes, statuary, etc. that other churches just threw away in their haste to modernize.

The "Magnifcats" may not be in that category because you seem to want to treat them with respect. Nevertheless, they may be able to offer sound advice.

CDL
Old Apr 10, '06, 6:55 am

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

Please excuse my ignorance... I know what the Magnificat is but what is an Old Magnificat?

Pax!
Old Apr 10, '06, 7:19 am
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic!!!

http://www.magnificat.net/us/indexus.htm

It's a monthly sort of missalette combined w/ prayers and other helpful readings. Very good. It's got all the daily readings, etc.
Old Apr 10, '06, 7:28 am

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_C
http://www.magnificat.net/us/indexus.htm

It's a monthly sort of missalette combined w/ prayers and other helpful readings. Very good. It's got all the daily readings, etc.
Cool... Thank you... I don't know why, but at first I thought is was somthing women wear... Silly me...

Pax!
Old Apr 10, '06, 7:47 am

I never thought about doing anything with them so I toss them. Since they are dated material just like missalettes, is trashing them a problem?

Micki
Old Apr 10, '06, 8:57 am
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

This brings up a good point... Are objects such as Magnificat and other pubs. blessed before they are sent out for sale?
Old Apr 10, '06, 9:12 am

Religion: Roman Rite Catholic
Send a message via MSN to SMHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_C
This brings up a good point... Are objects such as Magnificat and other pubs. blessed before they are sent out for sale?
I doubt it.

When parishes discard old missalettes, etc they usually just throw them in the trash (or perhaps recycle them.)

I don't know about Magnificat specifically but I know that failure to dispose of some time-sensitive publications can violate copyright laws.
Old Apr 10, '06, 9:48 am
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

I guess the way I phrased my question was inadequete anyway. You can't sell blessed items, can you?

Well, perhaps you could bless missalettes and then dispose of them in the Easter Vigil bonfire???
Old Apr 10, '06, 10:19 am
Banned

Default Selling blessed objects is called simony and

is forbidden by canon law. Therefore the publication Magnificat cannot be blessed..because it is sold. I paid $69 for my two year subscription and I do find it a blessing to have even though it is not blessed.
Old Apr 10, '06, 10:25 am
Forum Master

Since the Mass readings are on a 3 year cycle, the readings in the Magnificat never really go out of date. Besides that, the meditations and other features are truly good and almost worth the price of the publication in and of themselves.

We donate them to our parish for prison ministry or any other apostolate that needs them. God's word never goes out of date or out of fashion, so donate them to some worthy Catholic apostolate instead of burning them or tossing them. That's what the editors of Magnificat have requested be done with them, as well.

Tiber Swim Team, Class of '87.

Inklings!

"Sanctum erit, facere bonum" Della's blog: http://dellakmg.blogspot.com/
Old Apr 10, '06, 10:42 am
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Default Re: Selling blessed objects is called simony and

Quote:
Originally Posted by decn2b
is forbidden by canon law. Therefore the publication Magnificat cannot be blessed..because it is sold. I paid $69 for my two year subscription and I do find it a blessing to have even though it is not blessed.

Yeah, I realize that....I just didn't know if after the purchase had been made if they could THEN be blessed.
Old Apr 10, '06, 11:52 am

Thank you. I will ask our parish priest if they have a prison ministry and what to do with them. When I suggested burning them, I didn't mean in an irreverant way. Isn't that what you can do with a Bible that has been damaged, burn it and bury it? Just wondering. I look at my Magnificat's like the Bible in some ways, just more condensed!
Old Apr 10, '06, 12:23 pm
Book Club Member

As Della said, save them if you wish. Donate them if you wish. Destroy or throw them in the garbage if you wish. They are not sacramentals.

I say this w/ a great deal of charity so please don't take it wrong.

There are items to be considered sacred and we should take great care with them. And there are items that are not sacred and the degree of care taken are ones of stewardship- don't waste. If we try to take great care of everything, we take great care of nothing as nothing is held out as special.

The Magnificat is a tool for us to use. I carry mine in my pickup in the cubbyhole between the bucket seats so I have it readily available when I'm to use it. I sometimes stuff it in my back pocket if I take it with me on a walk in the summer. Now I'm not careless w/ my Magnificat and don't allow it to be kept among the garbage on my the floor of my vehicle (I'm a slob) as I value what the Magnificat does for me. To treat it as carefully as my Bible or my Book of Christian Prayer would be a disservice to the sacramental nature of these books and would indicate potentially a scrupulousity issue.

A rosary can be a sacramental if it is blessed. If one wants one to be a "tool" whereby it will be kept so as to be available (in your ash tray w/ a pack of gum and some coins for parking meters or in your purse), one should not have it blessed.

Don't be surprised if your Priest says no thank you. They are given so many different items that they can just create clutter for the Church as well as give them one more thing to worry about. If he says no, you can ask him for suggestions or offer to have a "grab bag" box someplace in your parish for people to take and give as they want. A couple of places that I've left mine is at the Dentist office and in the drawer in the hotel night stand w/ a note that says "Take and Enjoy." I never know if they are read or thrown away.
Old Apr 10, '06, 12:42 pm

I will see what our priest has to say and if they can use them. I just can't throw them away in the garbage. I can't. Just like I can't and wouldn't throw away a Bible. I like the idea of "free to all" sort of thing. Will have to do some praying and thinking on this some more. I have AT LEAST 5 years worth.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life