Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Karl Keating's E-Letter: 2008

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 20, '07, 11:15 am
Administrator

Religion: Catholic
Default Karl Keating's E-Letter of March 20, 2007

Karl's E-Letter of March 20, 2007

Topic:

"Confessions: Saturdays from 4:00 to 4:05"

==========
http://www.catholic.com/newsletters/kke_070320.asp
Old Mar 20, '07, 12:07 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Karl Keating's E-Letter of March 20, 2007

I agree with what is said in the newsletter, but I have been fortunate enough to see more than a few priests encouraging their parishioners to confess their sins. We definitely need more priests to realize that solid teaching from the pulpit is what will "pack 'em in", not the generic, nobody should feel guilty messages.

I feel that the tide is turning, at least in my area. There are more and more solid homilies being given, and the results are readily seen. The communities that are spiritually fed are able to spiritually grow.

I just wish my local parish was so lucky.
Old Mar 20, '07, 1:41 pm

Some of the issues I have with my parish are 1) Confession is 12:30 to 1:30 on Saturday. 2) One preist in my parish disagrees with me on what is a sin.

I go to confession at a more orthodox parish.

I have made it a point this lent to go to confession weekly and attend Mass more. I can feel it's effects.

Why not week night confession?

P.S. i have never heard from the pulpit in my parish that we are sinners in need of forgivness. I think it would be so beneficial.
Old Mar 20, '07, 2:55 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Mr. Keating makes a great point. We have a Pastor that was installed about two years ago who uses this same preaching method. He is a Holy priest and because of his firm but loving words, I believe, our Parish is being rejuvinated
Old Mar 20, '07, 3:03 pm

Default busy confessionals

We have well-attended confession, in no small part because the priests preach its necessity from the pulpit.
Old Mar 20, '07, 3:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum Admin View Post
Karl's E-Letter of March 20, 2007

Topic:

==========
http://www.catholic.com/newsletters/kke_070320.asp
I totally loved the title and too quickly wrote something - forgive me!

I live in Half Moon Bay California and I go to Menlo Park to an Opus Dei Priest at Nativity on Saturday AM. They have lines and people come from all over to go there. It is wonderful - best place to lose 10 pounds a week - the weight of sin just falls off. I love these priests. They just don't let you walk in and out and make sport of Confession.

Also, just wanted to throw this in as I mentioned it in the earlier email - Marcus Grodi gave an incredible teaching on the Four Witnesses last night and, although he was not the sweet charming host who normally walks people through their Journey Home, he did a powerful teaching - knocked the wind out of me as I am sure he did many others. His quote by St. Augustine about not ever leaving the Church was powerful - I could hardly breathe when he finished. Catch him this week and pray for him!!! Where can I write this? Terry
Old Mar 20, '07, 7:03 pm

Religion: Catholic, Roman Rite, religious not spiritual but trying

Take heart. I'm seeing more young people in line for confession. As soon as all us confused old fogies die off. . . . . . . .

And another strange thing- more young males, college age and beyond, are showing up for mass and confession.

I'm starting to wonder if the American Church was saved by women. They've been there all along.
Old Mar 20, '07, 8:19 pm
Observing Member

Here in Recife (Brazil) people are being encouraged to go to confession and timetables are exhibited to inform where and when priests are available in the several parishes in town. . One of my catholic friends commented that, rather than in the past, he now "enjoys" confession because it is like a "chat" he has with the priest, sitting in chairs and friendly facing each other. He was amazed when I told him that even when the confession was taking place in the style he likes I make a point of kneeling to receive absolution. I explained that confession is not a session with a psychiatrist or a simple spiritual direction. It is a sacrament which requires some specific attitudes and complying with a number of rules. I told him to consult the Cathecism before next confession.

Alvamir Pinto
Old Mar 20, '07, 9:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael C View Post
Some of the issues I have with my parish are 1) Confession is 12:30 to 1:30 on Saturday. 2) One preist in my parish disagrees with me on what is a sin.
My parish holds confession before every Mass! It is great, and we have many parish-hoppers who seek out the sacrament from all over the county. I too have argued with one particular priest about what is, and what is not, sinful. (I believe he may have been trying to imply there was some scrupulosity on my part, which wasn't the case at all.) Here is the trade-off: this particular priest is a beautiful homilist and great with reminding us of God's ever forgiving nature and salvific (sp?) work of His Son in his homilies. He's not so great in the confessional. On the other hand, one of the other priests at the parish is patient and wonderful at aiding individual penitents (sp?) with examining their consciences in the confessional. Yet he is also, to be as charitable as I can manage, a meandering generalist in his homilies and he's downright painful to listen to. My point is that God often gives particular gifts to particular priests, but it doesn't make the Sacrament he is overseeing, administering, an instrument of, etc., any less valid. And it shouldn't make us any less grateful. (Although, okay, I admit it, I avoid the confessional when that certain priest who doesn't see a lot of sin as sin is on duty.)
Old Mar 20, '07, 10:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum Admin View Post
Unless I missed something, this factor wasnt really talked about in the E-Letter.
Its common sense that Confession on Saturday from 4-5 pm doesnt cut it...its simple math:
At that rate four Saturdays per month means 4 hours of officially scheduled time for confession per month. If 500 people attend a given parish and each needs to go to confess at least once a month (at 3 minutes per confession) that requires 25 hours per month of available time for a single priest. If there are two priests at that parish hearing confessions at the same time then 12.5 hours need to be made available.

4 hours is a far cry from the necessary 25 (12.5) hours required (minimum). While its true (and very important) priests need to talk about confession to their parishioners, but they also need to make the time available. (if you build it they will come)

I know of one parish that offers confession 30min before each mass Mon-Sat, that is far more convenient for people and far more time available.

The best solution to all this is for all parishes to offer confession at least 30 min before each daily Mass.

Old Mar 20, '07, 11:21 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
I'm starting to wonder if the American Church was saved by women. They've been there all along.
Old Mar 21, '07, 12:50 am

There's a flip side to the fact that 86% of Catholics either don't go to confesssion at all or infrequently. They ALL receive Communion every Sunday. We have 4 Eucharistic Ministers and a Deacon helping the priest distribute the Eucharist every Sunday! Yet, confession is offered from 3:15 to 3:45 pm on Saturday afternoon. Very few go! I've never heard the pastor speak about the fact that receiving Communion with mortal sin on your soul is a sacrilege and in itself a mortal sin. For that matter, I rarely hear the word mortal sin mentioned from the pulpit. We have feel-good sermons and avoid disturbing a person's conscience about his or her sinfulness....maybe it's because they might lose some $$$$ in the collection!
Old Mar 21, '07, 5:26 am

http://www.adw.org/parishes/light_on.asp

OK, I just have to let you know that for Lent the Archdiocese of Washington (DC) is offering confession in EVERY parish EVERY Wednesday night from 7 - 8:30pm. I am blessed that in our parish our priests offer confessions after every daily mass and Saturday afternoons. This initiative of Archbishop Wuerl is a great way to get every parish priest thinking about it! There was even a front page article in the Washington Post on it...Wouldn't it be great if every parish in the country did this?
Old Mar 21, '07, 6:16 am

To deny that deemphasis on doctrine and discipline after VCII had nothing to do with the attendance at Confession would be foolish indeed. Long lines before VCII and short lines after belie that contention. But a practicing Catholic has no excuse for not rising above the distractions and living their faith. VCII did not change what the Church teaches. That is readily available to all, and each person is responsible for their own salvation. Those that use the excesses of VCII as an excuse are like children playing with fire. Those that have misled anyone into complacency are also playing with fire.
Old Mar 21, '07, 6:35 am
Inactive Member

One reason confessions have fallen off is that priests are not in the confessional. I live in a rural parish with a rotating Mass schedule in a tri-parish, but our priests used to try to get into the confessional before every Mass and people were usually lined up to go. Then we got a new priest about 15 years ago who wasn't regularly in the confessional. Same for the priests who followed him. Needless to say, confessions dropped off dramatically. Now we have confessions (usually) before our Saturday evening Mass and 2 tri-parish Reconciliation services a year (Easter and Christmas). People seem content with this. Strangely, most of our priests preached about Confession, but didn't get into the box.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Karl Keating's E-Letter: 2008