Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 8, '06, 7:05 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Gift of Tears

I have heard, though reading, etc., of the Gift of Tears that some people seem to have. What exactly is this, and how is it a gift?
Old Sep 9, '06, 5:42 am

Default Re: Gift of Tears

First I've ever heard of it! I'd like to know the answer to that myself
Old Sep 9, '06, 6:51 am
Book Club Member

One of my teachers told me about this (probabky the only orthodox teacher in my school). He says that he sometimes begins crying during the Consecration and the Elevation.

Very interesting.
Old Sep 9, '06, 7:01 am

Hmm. is it just because it is really emotional and overwhelming with joy that he does it? Or is it truly a gift? I'd like to know what this gift of tears is? A gift from God? or just an emotional experience? Curious!
Old Sep 9, '06, 7:03 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilena View Post
Hmm. is it just because it is really emotional and overwhelming with joy that he does it? Or is it truly a gift? I'd like to know what this gift of tears is? A gift from God? or just an emotional experience? Curious!
He said that he is just overwhelmed by being in the very presence of Christ. I suppose that is a gift.
Old Sep 9, '06, 7:15 am

indeed! as we all are!!
Old Sep 9, '06, 7:30 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by vej09 View Post
I have heard, though reading, etc., of the Gift of Tears that some people seem to have. What exactly is this, and how is it a gift?
I read somewhere it was a Buddhist thing.
Old Sep 9, '06, 7:59 am

oh...
Old Sep 9, '06, 8:31 am

Okay, I'll give this a shot.

I know of this from my experience in the Charismatic movement. An acquaintance of mine experienced this. He would often begin crying usually in connection with prayer or in front of the Blessed sacrament, etc. The person who experiences this is going through some deep healing (that's the gift part). I've heard there is a book on the giftof tears but I haven't seen it.

I think related to this would be the gift of laughter; but not the freakish kind observed at the Toronto Vineyard.
Christianity is not about building a secure little niche in the world where you can live with your perfect little wife and your perfect little children in your beautiful little house where you have no gays or minority groups anywhere near you. Christianity is about learning to love like Jesus loved
Old Sep 9, '06, 9:26 am
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

This is a fascinating subject.

I returned to the Church this year after a 25 year absence, and for the first four months after I came back I was frequently moved to tears during the consecration. I felt a mixture of sadness, at having been away for so long, and joy at being back.
Old Sep 9, '06, 10:18 am

I've heard of it, I think I may have it.
I don't think having the gift maks you better than someone however, and I can see how there'd be a pride coming with it. It's also important to never fall into sentamentalism, where you start to expect and depend on being emotionally moved in some way. But I've found it is a source of healing and realization for me, where, when I cry, it's almost always when I'm alone (sometimes in the Church, sometimes at Mass)
God knows how each of us are, and He gives us gifts accordingly. He knows I'm a passionate person, and will sometimes get very down and sometimes very up, and so the tears (while not a constant thing, though usually a surprise) remind me that God is with me in all of it.
It's a big mystery to me though. All I know is, I give my emotions to God when it happens. Emotions should be rightly ordered like anything, and when they are, hoo boy you'd be amazed at much happier you can be. A deep peace comes from giving God control of your emotions He knows better how I feel then even I do, so I try to trust Him.

Don't know if that helps?

Tears can also be a manifestation of God's love to someone in the beginning of their spiritual journey, as a consolation from God. But as a person matures spiritually, we're to depend less and less on our emotions, and more and more on our faith, hope, and love.

God Bless!
Mordocai
Old Sep 10, '06, 2:40 am

I ddecided google this and see if there was anything in the internet and I found these links:
Tears - Gift of the Holy Spirit?

this one especially, Sacred Tears, comes closest to the difinition I've understood. The tears are not based in emotion but are and exterior sign of an interior healing.

I experience tears when acknowledging Truth, in a song, poem, scripture. Sometimes I think it's an emotional response, sometimes I don't. I haven't thought of it as a Gift of Tears, maybe it is.

There appear to be many understandings of Gift of Tears including that crying is a necessary and healthy expression and usually in connection to greif and loss. Maybe it's necessary to explain to stoics about tears as a gift; however, I don't think of this definition when I think of "Gift of Tears".
Christianity is not about building a secure little niche in the world where you can live with your perfect little wife and your perfect little children in your beautiful little house where you have no gays or minority groups anywhere near you. Christianity is about learning to love like Jesus loved
Old Sep 10, '06, 10:21 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to scapularkid8

This sounds like an experience I've had a couple times, but it wasn't an emotional crying, I just started to shed tears in front of the Sacrament as if my body was praising Christ or something. I don't know...maybe my allergies were just acting up!

"Jesus died, Christ arose. Thatís precisely what the transformation is -- Christís consciousness untied from a specific place and time."

I contemplate my Theosis as only beginning.
Old Sep 10, '06, 10:36 am

About ten years ago I went through a very very very difficult divorce with a child custody battle in which my abusive bipolar ex husband got custody of my three young daughters for a year or so. Boy o boy was I torn up spiritually and emotionally by that, but never lost my total faith in God that it would all work out right, and it has.

At the time all this was happening, every time I went to church tears would just stream down my face the whole time, and people would ask me was I okay, etc. It was embarrassing and impossible to explain to strangers.

This still happens to me in church. I have to struggle to keep from tearing up most times. It doesn't have anything to do with the divorce situation now, but is more like an abject needing of God and a connection to him somehow. It is like reaching out to him and falling into his arms. It happens more during the consecration, etc. I am not like weeping, just tears flow. But it seems like people wouldn't understand, so I try to hide it. I don't know if this is what you are talking about, though. Maybe I am just still having panic attacks in church.
Old Sep 10, '06, 11:19 am
Banned

## There is such a gift, and it is to be expected that there should be, as our emotions and bodies are every bit as much in need of redemption and healing as our souls.

Equally, the mere physical experience of weeping is morally indifferent - the real test of tears, ISTM, is whether our hearts and our wills are set upon Christ & upon obeying Him. If they are not, then it's probably our temperament that is affected, but nothing more; our temperaments are parts of our personality, after all. We can be thankful for these things, but we must never cling on to them

Even if we are fairly sure in a given case that this is a gift, one thing we must never do is rest in the experience; we must never try to keep hold of it. If we do, it won't keep - it will go rotten, like the manna in the wilderness which the Israelites tried to hoard. Trying to hoard these things stops us from attending to what God is doing in our lives after giving us this (or similar) gifts. And anyway - why seek to hold on to the gifts instead of their Giver ? That is why the CC insists on our being detached from what is given us.

St. Philip Neri and St. John of the Cross have a lot to say on this. There is also an article on tears in the 1967 New Catholic Encyclopedia ##

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality