Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: What age was your baby when baptized?
1 month or less 29 37.18%
2 months or less 28 35.90%
4 months or less 18 23.08%
6 months or less 6 7.69%
1 year or less 5 6.41%
older than 1 year 4 5.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 9, '06, 4:32 pm

Religion: Catholic convert!!!!!!! (summer 2005)
Default how old was your baby when they were baptized?

How old was your baby when they were baptized and what were your reasons for doing it when you did? You can answer more than once if you have more than one child.

Malia
Old Sep 9, '06, 4:56 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Happily Catholic!
Default Re: how old was your baby when they were baptized?

Well, our son was baptized when he was 4, because that's when I converted. Our daughter was about 6 weeks, but that was because when we went to adopt her, we had to remain there for 3 weeks due to laws, so we didn't get home until she was a month old, then had to wait for the next time they did baptism in our parish (only on 3rd Sundays of the month). This little one coming should be less than a month, even if we have to wait until the 3rd Sun again. I would love to do it sooner, but... rules ya know. Sigh.
Old Sep 9, '06, 5:05 pm

Religion: Catholic

I was a month old, so was my daughter.
Old Sep 9, '06, 5:12 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teakafrog View Post
Well, our son was baptized when he was 4, because that's when I converted. Our daughter was about 6 weeks, but that was because when we went to adopt her, we had to remain there for 3 weeks due to laws, so we didn't get home until she was a month old, then had to wait for the next time they did baptism in our parish (only on 3rd Sundays of the month). This little one coming should be less than a month, even if we have to wait until the 3rd Sun again. I would love to do it sooner, but... rules ya know. Sigh.
Same problem. Ours were a month old by the time we got them home. Since we had only a day or two notice of their arrival it took a couple of weeks to set up the baptisms. [That was before there were scheduled baptism times.]
Old Sep 9, '06, 5:13 pm

It's ranged from as early as 1 month to as late at 9 months. This is due to us scheduling the baptisms so that we can be with family, either when they could travel or we would schedule the baptism to take place in their church. I would have rather had it done sooner rather than later, but having family around was important to us since we live so far from them.

Jennifer
Old Sep 9, '06, 5:16 pm

Baby 1: 5 days
Baby 2: 3 days

Reasons:
Can. 849 Baptism, the gateway to the sacraments, is necessary for salvation, either by actual reception or at least by desire. By it people are freed from sins, are born again as children of God and, made like to Christ by an indelible character, are incorporated into the Church. It is validly conferred only by a washing in real water with the proper form of words.

Can. 867 1 Parents are obliged to see that their infants are baptized within the first few weeks. As soon as possible after the birth, indeed even before it, they are to approach the parish priest to ask for the sacrament for their child, and to be themselves duly prepared for it.

I was lucky to have a priest that was able to baptize my children so quickly, though. We do call around our second trimester to see what days are available and schedule a date. We make sure they have all the info etc they need before I give birth, and make sure we (and the godparents) meet all the requirements beforehand. The first time it worked out great, the second I had to reschedule (I was being discharged 4 hours after the baptism was supposed to happen). I was lucky the priest said he could do it in morning Mass the next day.
Old Sep 9, '06, 5:44 pm

BTW, the reasons I quoted are some of the things I read when researching on the topic and some of the things that got me started, but the truth is ever since I found out what baptism was I wanted to make sure my kids got baptized as soon as possible, even if it means that a proxy has to stand in for their godparents or what not. My husband was with me in both deliveries and was ready to baptize our child if need be.
Baptism is such an amazing Sacrament, I'm always nervous until my child is baptized.
Old Sep 9, '06, 7:23 pm
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

To be perfectly honest, I always baptized my babies myself as soon as I could get out of the hospital bed and get them into the bathroom sink. Of course, we still went through the official Church ceremony, too.
Old Sep 9, '06, 7:32 pm

Jack was baptized at 5 days old. We had come home from the hospital on Monday afternoon, and by Thursday, he wasn't waking up to eat. We thought the ER doctors would just laugh at us, but unfortunatly, they didn't. He had sepsis, which is a blood infection, and ultimatly had to be hospitalized for 7 days. However, we went to the hospital we had delivered at, but they wanted him at the next closest hosptial, because it has a better neo-natal ICU. So, DH was going to drive to the other hospital while I rode in the ambulance. Before all of this, we had asked if we should baptize him (we were terrified), and had been told no, that everything was going to be fine. But after DH left (we were supposed to leave a few moments later), Jack started having trouble breathing. They had to put a tube in to help him breathe, and I lost it completely. I demanded they baptize him, then and there. I was terrified my baby would die without the Sacrament. So, the Protestant chaplin baptized him, but the priest did get there before we had to leave, and did the formal baptism (we have a certificate from the hospital!). Now, when Jack was about 6 months old, we did convince the parish priest to do a blessing with oil in the church, so everyone could share our joy, since I was the only one (other than the 15 or so medical personel) to witness the actual baptism. I have to say, I hope I never have to make that decision again!

MJ
Old Sep 9, '06, 7:37 pm

Julie was seven weeks old. We wanted her to be between one and two months, because as a first time mom I was not even ready to venture out to Mass the first few weeks, let alone have a baptism. But I also didn't want her to be older than two months because I know how important it is not to wait. I was SO nervous she would want to eat or get otherwise fussy right as we were to go to the baptismal font (we did it during Mass). As it turned out, we had a huge snow storm, and with 2 feet of snow we had the church almost to ourselves.

(DD2005) (DD2008) (miscarriage2010) (DS2012)
Old Sep 9, '06, 8:15 pm

dd#1 and dd#2 were both 6 weeks.

Helen (dd#3 and the baby) was 2 months old. Because she was born the week before Lent began and we had trouble coordinating people being there during lent and the week or two after Easter, it just ended up that she was 2 months old by the time we got it togehter. She had almost outgrown the baptismal gown I'd used for both of her sisters!! But, we managed.

Wife to my wonderful DH (July 24, 1999)

Mommy to 3 beautiful Girls
Old Sep 9, '06, 8:36 pm

Wow, now I feel even more guilty. Before Lily was born, we told ourselves that we would have her baptized at the earliest possible time. We realize the importance and significance of this Sacrament and didn't want to delay it.

But now that Lily is here (and almost 8 weeks old), we still have no idea when we will be able to do it . With the combination of her temperment and my disability we can't even get out to the grocery store. Even taking the evening walk with our dog has been put on hold.

Just managing to get a shower is a major accomplishment around here. I am so overwhelmed and have zero energy. I want her to be baptized so badly, but just don't see how .

Has anyone here gone through a baptism during Mass with a screaming infant? And I don't mean just crying, I mean screaming.

Malia
Old Sep 9, '06, 10:17 pm

Religion: Christian

Our son was almost 3 months. We couldn't get to the class required until he was almost 2 months, so we had to wait for the date following the preparation class.
Old Sep 9, '06, 11:08 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanaro's Wife View Post
With the combination of her temperment and my disability we can't even get out to the grocery store. Even taking the evening walk with our dog has been put on hold.

Has anyone here gone through a baptism during Mass with a screaming infant? And I don't mean just crying, I mean screaming.

Malia
God bless you all, you know we have been praying for your little family.

this is a good example of the wisdom of taking the prebaptismal classes while you are still pregnant, so other preggie posters take note. no need to stay through an entire Mass, explain the situation to the priest and ask for Baptism after the last Mass one Sunday. By now, if you are able to go to Mass, you are probably going to separate Masses anyhow, which may be necessary for a while.

It is not absolutely necessary for mom to be present if her condition makes that inadvisible. It used to be the norm for godparents to take the infant to Church for Baptism in the first couple of weeks, while mom was still confined to bed (the good old days when they did not throw you out of the hospital after 24 hours.)

It is also not absolutely necessary for both parents to attend the classes, esp. if mom is still under the weather. Please call your priest and explain the situation (not the parish secretary).
Old Sep 9, '06, 11:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzleannie View Post
God bless you all, you know we have been praying for your little family.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate all of the prayers we receive from our CA forum family.

this is a good example of the wisdom of taking the prebaptismal classes while you are still pregnant

We did that. We were the only couple in the class that was there before their baby was born (and I wasn't even showing yet). We got some strange looks

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting