Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Sep 12, '06, 3:37 pm

Religion: Byzantine Catholic, stay at home dad
Send a message via ICQ to Lurker Send a message via AIM to Lurker Send a message via MSN to Lurker Send a message via Yahoo to Lurker
Default Re: Jimmy Swaggart

I've heard that he's toned down a bit in recent years with regards to his anti-catholicism. We should pray for his conversion.
Old Sep 12, '06, 5:34 pm

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to SherryLynn9 Send a message via Yahoo to SherryLynn9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliardo View Post
I think Jimmy Swaggart is Southern Baptist, if I'm not mistaken, and yes he is open about his anti-Catholicism.
I believe he is part of the Assembly of God demonimation.
Old Sep 12, '06, 5:43 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Orthodox
Send a message via AIM to Milliardo Send a message via Yahoo to Milliardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
I've heard that he's toned down a bit in recent years with regards to his anti-catholicism. We should pray for his conversion.
Actually, I often wonder how it would be if he did convert, forsake everything, take up religious vows, and then become Pope. I think it would open his eyes on how being Catholic really is. Though of course, seriously, I do pray for his conversion.

Old Nov 3, '06, 9:49 am

Still anti-Catholic. He is currently pushing his new book, via his current tv-evangelist show. The book has sections for each area wherein, according to him, Catholicism is WRONG. I'd love to know what it says but, would never spend my money on him/his ministry.
Old Nov 3, '06, 11:02 am
Greeter

Religion: Katholikos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimOliv View Post
Those Pentecostals sure do dislike Catholics...

This has been my experience as well. Anyone know why this is? Are most A of G heavy fundamentalists?

"I will bring you to the land not of questions but of answers,
and you shall see the face of God."

The Spirit to the Ghost;
C.S. Lewis The Great Divorce
Old Nov 3, '06, 11:33 am

Don't you know about Jimmy Swaggart Bible College??? Tim Staples went there. You can read his conversion story in Pat Madrid's Surprised By Truth or his own book, Jimmy Swaggart Made Me Catholic! Anyway Tim had been in the Marines and met a Catholic he was having trouble refuting (Tim had always wanted to be a preacher). He started to get desparate and then made the huge mistake of watching the Martin/Pacwa debates. In his own words from Surprised By Truth:

Quote:
In what some might see as a dangerous act of "tempting the Lord," I decided to put the Catholic Church to one last test at a place where I knew the toughest questions would come. I enroled for studies at Jimmy Saggart Bible College (JSBC) in the fall of 1987. I had not given up completely my dream of being a minister; there was still a faint glimmer of hope that I could be shown the error of Catholicism. I figured that if Jimmy Swaggart's people couldn't do the job of demolishing the claims of Rome, no one could.
He decided to take Jimmy Swaggart's challenge:
Quote:
We would like to challenge the Catholic church to demonstrate that the saints and martyrs of the first three hundred years accepted the beliefs and practices of the Catholic church as it exists today... All of the Early Church Fathers were evangelical and Pentecostal and had no association with what is now recognized as the Roman Catholic church.

Of course Tim couldn't pass that challenge.

More in Tim's words:
Quote:
Imagine what it would be like to go public with the plan to become Catholic at Jimmy Swaggart Bible College. My friends could see the direction in which I was headed and they were concerned for me. I was "worked on" by them at every meal. I was grilled by professors. In fact, I nearly got called in to see Jimmy Swaggart himself. Instead, I had a confrontation with the faculty "expert" on Roman Catholicism: Andrew Caradagas, a former Catholic priest who was teaching Church History at JSBC
I wish I could quote the rest of the story here, but lets just say that Tim showed that faculty "expert" to be nothing but a fraud. Tim knew he had to become Catholic after that. There's much more to the story...read it!
Old Nov 16, '06, 2:53 pm
Observing Member

Religion: Christian

I am not Catholic, so I can't get too worked up with the Swaggarts anti-Catholic rhetoric. Frances Swaggart, wife of Jimmy and mother of Donnie, seems to be the one carrying the anti-Catholic banner these days. Jimmy seems to be using all his TV time pushing a study bible he wrote.

What bothers me about the Swaggarts is their attitude of arrogance, know-it-all-ness, their pretension of intelligence and knowledge, and the huge percentage of time they devote to pointing out everyone else's faults.

What I would really like to see, and I know I am not going to be the one to do it, is a side by side comparison showing that both Jimmy and Frances Swaggart have plagiarized the vast majority of their anti-Catholic writings. This seems to me to be a good project for someone who loves the Catholic Church in order to reduce the influence of the Swaggart Ministry (although their influence is only about 5% of what it was at its peak in 1987).

I have read somewhere on the Internet that Jimmy's book "Christianity and Catholicism" was basically a plagiarism of someone else's earlier book, but I can't remember the title or author, and I also have heard that Frances Swaggart's articles on "Catholicism: The New Babylon," which she has now turned into a book, comes almost word for word from a book called "Two Babylons."

If anyone could substantiate these claims of plagiarism, that would be, IMHO, a contribution to Christian discussion, because whether you are Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist, or Muslim, don't these all teach on honesty? Why would any honest person not give credit by appropriate footnotes if they take material from another author? Or are they just ignorant of proper documentation?
Old Nov 16, '06, 7:48 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by plh View Post
Still anti-Catholic. He is currently pushing his new book, via his current tv-evangelist show. The book has sections for each area wherein, according to him, Catholicism is WRONG. I'd love to know what it says but, would never spend my money on him/his ministry.
Then get Jimmy Swaggart's book from the public library so you can read it without giving him any money to fuel more anti-Catholic propaganda.
Old Nov 16, '06, 7:53 pm

Send a message via Yahoo to jasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasimodo View Post
Jimmy Swaggart is the cousin of a famous rock star Jerry Lee Lewis

They musat have has some interesting things to say to each other in former days ...

Jimmy Swaggart was a BIG TIME televangelist in his pre-hooker days. I still remember him weeping copious tears of apology on his show. It was pitiful. He is on the air again - I saw him on the tube while visitung South Carolina recently.
Oh boy! I remember that too. I just shook my head..it was PITIFUL!
Old Nov 16, '06, 7:58 pm

I went from Mormonism, to Assembly of God, to Catholicism. We should pray for his conversion........... it worked for me!!

in Christ
Steph
Old Nov 16, '06, 8:07 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

I live here in Baton Rouge. Swaggart's complex is a stone's throw from my office. I routinely see Frances and Jimmy in the restaurant near the office during lunch. No one pays them the least attention (although I must admit that I am tempted to whip out a cross and a vial of holy water and shout "back! back!" to them .

In the world of evangelical fundamentalism here in Baton Rouge, they are passe. The rising star is the Rev. Larry Stockstill who now has two Bethany Prayer Centers - the southernmost one is just on Brother Jimmy's doorstep. To my knowledge he hasn't said word one about HMC. Baton Rouge is 40% Catholic and the Diocese of Baton Rouge marches on.
Old Nov 16, '06, 8:13 pm

Send a message via Yahoo to jasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotherhrolf View Post
I live here in Baton Rouge. Swaggart's complex is a stone's throw from my office. I routinely see Frances and Jimmy in the restaurant near the office during lunch. No one pays them the least attention (although I must admit that I am tempted to whip out a cross and a vial of holy water and shout "back! back!" to them .

Old Nov 16, '06, 10:25 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via MSN to DARichards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman_Catholic View Post
This has been my experience as well. Anyone know why this is? Are most A of G heavy fundamentalists?
The fact is that I were one (prior to finding Scott Hahn). Fundamentalist and Evangelicals in general run and "try to cast demons of religiosity" out of anything that "smacks of Roman Catholicism". The reasoning is very long and complex, but the "Paul Harvey" is that there is much freedom in being an Evangelical/Fundamentalist. You get to shop for churches based on whatever appeals to you. You also have a great deal of freedom to move from church to church if you become offended. To them, we are a legalistic, spiritually dead Church, lacking the spontaneity of the Spirit. In addition, they approach their spirituality from the Sola Scriptura perspective, therefore many of our doctrines to them are foreign and have no basis in their interpretation of Scripture.

P.S. Tim Staples has a GREAT CD set out.....the link to the CA shop is below

http://shop.catholic.com/cgi-local/S...d7e+1166876125
Old Nov 16, '06, 11:39 pm
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Methodist

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotherhrolf View Post

Can I be there & take pictures? Can I?? Can I??? Oh, please!!??!

And now our own dear Bro, too, has crossed over the river, where he rests under the shade of the trees...
Old May 12, '08, 9:38 am
Inactive Member

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryLynn9 View Post
I believe he is part of the Assembly of God demonimation.
Jimmy renounced his association with the Assemblies of God in 1990, I believe since he refused to abide to their two punishment for his sin with the prostitute.

Jimmy founded his own denonimation World Outreach Center or something like that.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics