Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 26, '06, 12:23 pm

Religion: Catholic
Question Anglican Converts To Catholicism

If you have converted from the Anglican or Episcopalian church to Catholicism, could you please list some of your reasons why? Especially if they deal with how you came to believe the Churches teaching on infallibility, Mary, the Saints, and the history of the Reformation. My fiancÚ is attending RCIA currently and he is an Anglican. These are some of the issues that he is having a hard time with. Please please, if you have any information to offer on these topics we are in great need of your advice. Or if you could recommend any good books/ conversion stories especially focusing on Anglican converts to Catholicism. Thank you.
Old Sep 26, '06, 12:46 pm

Default Re: Anglican Converts To Catholicism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine W View Post
If you have converted from the Anglican or Episcopalian church to Catholicism, could you please list some of your reasons why? Especially if they deal with how you came to believe the Churches teaching on infallibility, Mary, the Saints, and the history of the Reformation. My fiancÚ is attending RCIA currently and he is an Anglican. These are some of the issues that he is having a hard time with. Please please, if you have any information to offer on these topics we are in great need of your advice. Or if you could recommend any good books/ conversion stories especially focusing on Anglican converts to Catholicism. Thank you.
I did, but I don't have time to post right now. Search the archives. There's tons of info on these beliefs. And the catholic.com website has tons of tracts on these issues as well.

Briefly, why did I leave the Episcopal Church? The final straw was Prophet Gene. BUT, really it comes down to the Episcopal/Anglican Churches were founded in the 16th century by someone who got miffed because the Pope didn't grant him an annulment. Of all the reasons... And if you open your heart, you will find that the Catholic beliefs your fiance is dealing with are all quite biblical.

So look around...
Old Sep 26, '06, 1:02 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

The simple answer is...I came for the authority; I stay for the Eucharist.

I believe the Anglican communion is falling apart because they do not have a clear teaching authority. Let's be honest, King Henry had laughably flimsy reasons for this schism. If you believe that the church for 1500 years was true why couldn't you believe it remained so.

So once I had a clear understanding of history I could no longer remain Anglican. But please do not think this was easy...I was sick to my stomach when I realized that I would have to convert if the CC was true.

It wasn't until after our Confirmation that I experienced consolation in the CC. Now I couldn't imagine living without the sacraments and sure teaching of this beautiful Church.

"Before you speak, it is necessary for you to listen, for God speaks in the silence of the heart."
Blessed Mother Teresa, Ora Pro Nobis
Old Sep 26, '06, 2:11 pm

Religion: Catholic (former TEC & UMC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Henry View Post
Briefly, why did I leave the Episcopal Church?... BUT, really it comes down to the Episcopal/Anglican Churches were founded in the 16th century by someone who got miffed because the Pope didn't grant him an annulment.
If you are an ex-Episcopalian you should know that the above is a gross oversimplification.
Old Sep 26, '06, 2:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint&Sinner View Post
I believe the Anglican communion is falling apart because they do not have a clear teaching authority.
Unfortunately this is a true statement.
Old Sep 26, '06, 2:29 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic via Canterbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine W View Post
If you have converted from the Anglican or Episcopalian church to Catholicism, could you please list some of your reasons why? Especially if they deal with how you came to believe the Churches teaching on infallibility, Mary, the Saints, and the history of the Reformation.
The Reformation had almost nothing to do with it -- at least not in any direct way.

Infallibility was easy. Anglicans believe in Apostolic Succession. At one point the idea of the papacy seemed an inevitable point (Mt. 16:18). I asked myself, If you have Apostolic Succession, and Peter is not in your house of bishops, what kind of game are you playing?

Since the Communion of Saints is something we affirmed in the Apostles Creed, I had no problem with that. We had statues of Mary, St. Joseph, and St. Anthony of Padua in our Church. We invoked the Saints, and the Prayer Book itself commemorates the feasts of the Apostles and Evangelists as well as St. Michael the Archangel. My Parish also observed many of the pre-Reformation saints' days (viz. St. Anthony of Padua above).
Quote:
My fiancÚ is attending RCIA currently and he is an Anglican. These are some of the issues that he is having a hard time with. Please please, if you have any information to offer on these topics we are in great need of your advice. Or if you could recommend any good books/ conversion stories especially focusing on Anglican converts to Catholicism. Thank you.
Reading John Henry Newman's Apologia pro Vita Sua and Essay on the Development of Christian Doctrine pushed me across the Tiber.
Old Sep 26, '06, 2:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr1213 View Post
If you are an ex-Episcopalian you should know that the above is a gross oversimplification.
Yes, I know. There's also the lust for the Church's money to be accounted for.
Old Sep 26, '06, 3:08 pm

Quote:
It seems like Anglicans have to answer this question as often as Catholics have to respond to the charge that they worship Mary.

Yes, Henry VIII's split with Rome came out of the Pope's refusal to grant him an annulment, which Henry needed for dynastic reasons. The Pope's decision was based, at least in part, on the fact that Katherine of Aragon who was the daughter of the Spanish Monarch. The Papacy's political interests were tied closely to those of Catholic Spain. I understand that there were at least decent theological reasons to allow an annulment...if political considerations were ignored. After the break, the English Church was as Catholic as the Catholic Church minus the Pope. However, you then had the effect of the Reformation on the Church and the Anglican Church became reformed. After the restoration of Catholicism when Mary (a/k/a "Bloody Mary" for killing over 300 protestants) took the throne, the Church again became Catholic. When Mary died and Elizabeth took the throne, the Church returned to the Protestant fold. However, the "Elizabethan Settlement" moved the Anglican Church to a position somewhat in between the Catholic positions and Protestant positions, and between the Calivinist and Lutheran positions. The resulting compromise (or ambiguity if you choose) became known as the Via Media or middle way. This is an oversimplified history of the process, but much more accurate than the picture that you painted.
Old Sep 26, '06, 3:44 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Aplogia Pro Vita Sua by John Henry Newman comes to mind...as long as you can make it through to the concluding chapters!
Old Sep 26, '06, 3:55 pm
Forum Supporter

Quote:
"To be deep in history is to cease to be Protestant."
- John Henry Cardinal Newman, Anglican minister turned Catholic Cardinal.
is solas na bhfliaitheas tareis antsail seo agat.

-Mac
Old Sep 26, '06, 4:31 pm

Quote:
Apologies for that... that was most certainly snotty...
Old Sep 26, '06, 7:30 pm

Thanks! I will definitely read Aplogia Pro Vita Sua by John Henry Newman.
Old Sep 26, '06, 8:08 pm
Radio Club Member

Hi, I'm a recent convert from the Episcopal Church.

If he wasn't focused on problems in the Anglican Church it won't do any good for anyone to point them out now. Focus on the positives as best you can. I didn't care for it when the sister that ran my RCIA thought she knew something about the Episcopal Church, most of what she thought she knew was wrong.

I really didn't care for my RCIA experience. And, I resisted the idea that I needed to be confirmed again. Eventually I got to the point that I wasn't really being asked to renouce my confirmation, but surrender and say.... ok let's do it again. I also accepted that I didn't have to have every single thing completely worked out. Some issues could be "a work in progress", provided I was open.

One idea that did trip me up was that a priest could confirm, with the bishop's permission, at the Easter vigil. Confirmation in the Anglican tradition is only by and through the bishop.

I also don't like lay people in street clothes administering communion. At least put on an alb! And, having lay people in and out of the tabernacle is weird. I guess I'm still a work in progress on those. lol

The best part was afterwards when a whole new world opened up and I felt myelf be a part of the original church for the first time. It is great to be "home".

I hope you can pray for him and support without pressure. And, if he isn't ready now, let that be ok and trust the Lord to work it out as he wills.

Best wishes for your happiness
Fred
Old Sep 26, '06, 8:10 pm

Religion: Protestant (Liturgical)

Quote:
I did, but I don't have time to post right now. Search the archives. There's tons of info on these beliefs. And the catholic.com website has tons of tracts on these issues as well.

Briefly, why did I leave the Episcopal Church? The final straw was Prophet Gene. BUT, really it comes down to the Episcopal/Anglican Churches were founded in the 16th century by someone who got miffed because the Pope didn't grant him an annulment. Of all the reasons... And if you open your heart, you will find that the Catholic beliefs your fiance is dealing with are all quite biblical.

So look around...
Well...the Pope/divorce thing is partially true. I think the reality had more to do with general political aspirations and borader desire to control the complete politcal life in Britain.

In any case I have a chart showing a tree and Anglicanism as the 3rd main branch in Christianity (Roman Catholicism and Orthodox being the other two). Then various off shoots from them. Anglicans see themselves as the English church and part of the church going back to teh times of the apostles. Again, from an Anglican point of view the Papal delcaration of Anglican roders as invalid had more to do with politcs and political expediency. England was overhwelmingly Anglican and one of the World's most powerful nations militarily and culturally for a long time. Having declared tehir orders as valid could have caused the Catholic Church some problems through presenting a powerful alternative for Westerners. The Orthodox Church did not present that threat due to the much vaster cultural gulf.

North

#44 Catechism of the Catholic Church
Old Sep 26, '06, 8:49 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Hi Catherine, he was arguably the most influential convert to the Roman Catholic Church in recent times...probably the most important convert from the Anglican Church. Like I said, the first roughly 3/4 of the book was very dense for me, but when he finally got to his ultimate reasons for entering the Church my jaw dropped when I was reading it. It seems like it would be a relevant read for you.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics