Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 26, '06, 11:37 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Confirmation Name & Patron Saint

I believe that it's the saint himself that choose us. For example, my first name is Paul (my mum got it when she saw Late Pope John Paul II on TV) she was agnostic and my dad was buddhism at that time, funny eh? and for my baptism name, I 'chose' St. Paul to be my patron saint, and yes, looking back now, part of my life quite similar to St. Paul.

However, I have a little problem here. I chose Vincent as my confirmation name 7 years ago. I was still 14 then and didn't know how to pick a good patron saint, so end up choosing a name that sounds nice to me.

Now, I'm kinda confused, which Vincent is my patron saint? I tried to recall and honestly, I can't remember anything. What shall I do?
Old Feb 7, '08, 1:04 pm

Default Re: Confirmation Name & Patron Saint

Well, maybe look at Butler's Lives of the Saints or go to the New Advent website.They have the Catholic Encyclopedia online.Go to the V's and look at the various St.Vincents and read about each one,and then from what you have read,decide which one you want as your patron.
I was named Hilda for my grandmother and St.Hilda.
My confirmation name is Cecilia,for St.Cecilia,the patron saint of music and musicians and an martyer under the Romans.I chose her because i love music and singing.
Old Feb 7, '08, 1:22 pm
Banned

I ignore my confirmation name.

It was the kind of one that most of the girls picked because we had just read about the saint - there really was no thought or choice involved.
Old Feb 28, '08, 2:29 pm

Question Re: Confirmation Name & Patron Saint

I converted to the catholic faith and went through RCIA but I was never asked to choose a confirmation name. Do only those born as catholics get to choose a confirmation name or was this simply an oversight, do you think? Also, what is the importance of choosing a patron saint & confirmation name? What is the tradition or history behind it?

Peace & blessings,
brea
Old Feb 2, '09, 4:56 pm

Religion: Bran' New Catholic!

In my RCIA, it's not emphasized, but we're allowed to choose one if we wish. So, it's not forbidden either. I have chosen a confirmation name, and have submitted it. But for all I know I might be the only one in the group!
Old Feb 2, '09, 5:00 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince2paul View Post
I believe that it's the saint himself that choose us. For example, my first name is Paul (my mum got it when she saw Late Pope John Paul II on TV) she was agnostic and my dad was buddhism at that time, funny eh? and for my baptism name, I 'chose' St. Paul to be my patron saint, and yes, looking back now, part of my life quite similar to St. Paul.

However, I have a little problem here. I chose Vincent as my confirmation name 7 years ago. I was still 14 then and didn't know how to pick a good patron saint, so end up choosing a name that sounds nice to me.

Now, I'm kinda confused, which Vincent is my patron saint? I tried to recall and honestly, I can't remember anything. What shall I do?

Well, why not pray to St. Vincent and ask him to reveal or lead you to some information about him? If he picked you, he knows who he is and would probably like to share the information with you!
Or you could read up on the different saints with that name and then pray for guidance.
M.J., 1993; E.M., 1996; B.T., 1999; M.B., 2001
MIL to AG
Grandma to C.E., S.M., N.J.
Old Feb 2, '09, 9:06 pm
Book Club Member

You know everyone knows each other well up there, while it -may- be that -one- Vincent chose the name for you, it may also be that -two- did.

Do though you look deeply into the matter of the differences between them and what they have to say to the world.
Old Feb 9, '09, 10:07 am
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

St Vincent De paul is one of the incorruptibles. look him up. Maybe you'll like him, and he's the most famous Vincent i think. Could be for you? God bless
May the Blessed Trinity and Blessed Mother along with all the Hosts of Blessed Spirits and Saints and Sublime Martyrs bless you all and the whole church and world and complete the conversion of Russia quickly and give us world peace +++. We are at the end. Bless you +++ I am John

Old Apr 12, '09, 6:51 pm

Smile Re: Confirmation Name & Patron Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince2paul View Post
... I chose Vincent as my confirmation name 7 years ago. I was still 14 then and didn't know how to pick a good patron saint, so end up choosing a name that sounds nice to me.

I don't recall confirmation names even being discussed in RCIA except for our sacramental worksheet, where I had a choice of taking a confirmation name or not. (I do know from elsewhere that our Bishop does allow it, albeit reluctantly.)

I did choose, and the reason I'm posting on this thread, as old as it is, is because I took St. Vincent of Saragossa as my patron, as he was my patron saint through most of my years in the Episcopal Church and he's been a faithful friend all those years. Since I'm female, the actual name I chose was "Vicenta" rather than "Vincent."

And actually, I came into the church only yesterday at the Easter Vigil, so I'm newly confirmed as well.

Like Vinnie Louisa, I don't know if anyone else took confirmation names or not. I think most of the people I actually know personally kept their own baptismal names.
Old Apr 12, '09, 7:04 pm
Prayer Warrior

At the Easter Vigil last night, all our new Catholics were confirmed, and the priest called them by their Confirmation names as he confirmed them,"Raymond, receive the Holy Spirit..." and the person's name is Bill.

Peace,
Linda
Old Apr 12, '09, 7:09 pm

Religion: Mel Gibson
Send a message via AIM to IrishYanksFan

This seems somewhat horrible, but to be honest, I really only chose Saint Francis of Assisi because I happened to know a lot about his life and I didn't feel like having to research another saint and write a report about him. Yeah back then, even though I suppose I believed in everything, I didn't take it as seriously as I should have
Old Apr 12, '09, 7:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaS View Post
At the Easter Vigil last night, all our new Catholics were confirmed, and the priest called them by their Confirmation names as he confirmed them,"Raymond, receive the Holy Spirit..." and the person's name is Bill.

Peace,
Linda
Yeah, same with me. My baptismal name is Donna (Doni is a nickname), but I was confirmed Vicenta in just that manner. My sponsor had to introduce me to the priest as he came down the line, and she was struggling to remember the confirmation name! The priest, who doesn't know my real first name anyway, probably is going to be calling me Vicenta from here on out, LOL.

But the others in the group, those within earshot, whose names I know, I did hear them being confirmed by their birth names, rather than a different confirmation name. So it looks like I'm in a minority.

Last edited by Doni; Apr 12, '09 at 7:16 pm. Reason: grammar
Old Apr 12, '09, 9:57 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

I was sad when I was confirmed in 2002 that although my whole RCIA class did chose confirmation names, they're not recorded anywhere (like on our confirmation certificates or anywhere else) and they were not used at the Vigil. :-(

However, a few years later I legally changed my last name and I added my two confirmation names as legal middle names.

As far as Vincent -- yes, I think reading up on the various St. Vincents and seeing which one draws you to him is the way to go.

Francesca
Old Jul 27, '09, 5:49 pm

Religion: Bran' New Catholic!

Quote:
Like Vinnie Louisa, I don't know if anyone else took confirmation names or not. I think most of the people I actually know personally kept their own baptismal names.
Turns out two other people in my RCIA group took names different from their baptismal names besides me. I took Therese. My first name is Lavinia, and there isn't any saint by that name that I could find. But I read Story of a Soul and really got to liking Therese. I could have tried to match up Louisa, but I think there's something to choosing a saint you have a bond with.
Old Jul 28, '09, 6:41 am

In my RCIA class, we all chose confirmation saints. We had several reference books to look through. Some of us already had names chosen. I chose St. Joan of Arc after reading about how brave she was.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality