Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Sep 27, '06, 11:17 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Do people really go to Hell for masturbation and using birth control?

I've seen lots of threads here about people worried about masturbation and their immortal souls. I never see any ones asking the same about birth control, although I find it hard to believe that every single person at this site uses NFP, since the statistics are pretty dismil on adherence to that Catholic teaching by Catholics.

I just find it hard to believe that God would send someone to Hell for these sins. Yes, I think they are sins but I'll tell you right here that my wife and I used birthcontrol for years after the birth of our son. Then my wife got interrested in NFP. It's a healthier way to live, it's good for your marriage, and it's what the Church says to do.

As far as masturbation, why I'd say that probably most young men and a good number of young women do it, and alot of adults do too. I'm not saying it's not a sin, but I find it hard to believe that you're going to Hell under any circumstances for doing it.

Do you think people really go to Hell for these things?
Old Sep 27, '06, 11:27 am

Religion: Catholic (typical hardcore papist)
Default Re: Do people really go to Hell for masturbation and using birth control?

Does sin matter? Do you have to repent from it? I say Yes.

Just because some sins become socially acceptable and even acceptable in newer Christian denominations, that doesn't change the truth that they are sins.

If every denomination except for the Catholic Church decided that it was morally acceptable to kill anyone over the age of 65, would that make it right to do so.

So people do go to Hell for rejecting the truth of God that sin is ok and we don't have to repent.
People go to Hell because they obstinately reject truth and choose their own desires instead of trying and ultimately succeding in doing God's will.
They do not go to Hell for sinning and repenting as we all sin. We are called to reform and not reject God's forgiveness.

Ultimately it is all God's decision but we shouldn't see how far we should push it, but rather go for the narrow path, as Jesus had described.

In Christ
Scylla
1 Timothy 3:15
Old Sep 27, '06, 11:31 am

Default Re: Do people really go to Hell for masturbation and using birth control?

Scylla,
Yes I know God decides, but what do you think? Do you think anyone has gone to Hell for Mastubating? I'm talking about your run of the mill masturbation. Do you think people go to Hell for artificial birth control? I don't. I think they just need more time in Purgatory. I think Purgatory purges us of our attachment to sins like sins of the flesh.
Old Sep 27, '06, 11:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat View Post
Scylla,
Yes I know God decides, but what do you think? Do you think anyone has gone to Hell for Mastubating? I'm talking about your run of the mill masturbation. Do you think people go to Hell for artificial birth control? I don't. I think they just need more time in Purgatory. I think Purgatory purges us of our attachment to sins like sins of the flesh.
Do I think its possible for someone to go to hell for masturbation? Yes.

That doesnt mean every person doing it has HELL on their foreheads.

Before God "woke me up", I was blind to his Law, I wasnt disobeying it directly, though I knew it was wrong.

I can't believe that God would send me to hell because I simply was doing what everyone else was doing and honestly didn't think about the morality of it.

God has since shown me the error of my ways. If i were to backtrack now, I would be thrown into hell for choosing it.

Peace and God Bless.
Old Sep 27, '06, 11:42 am

Religion: Catholic (revert)

Do people really earn suffering and death for not just themselves but for all humanity simply because they ate an apple?

Sin (in particular, disobedience, the rejection of God's guidance) is apparently a very big deal to God.

Let me ask you a question in return. What sins do you think should send a person to hell, and what sins should not?
Old Sep 27, '06, 11:42 am

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scylla View Post
people do go to Hell for rejecting the truth of God that sin is ok and we don't have to repent.
People go to Hell because they obstinately reject truth and choose their own desires instead of trying and ultimately succeding in doing God's will.
I just quoted this phrase because it's worth repeating.
well said.

we're all sinners, Jesus knows that, it comes down to - do you fight the good fight and reisist evil or take the easy road and go with what society dictates as things that are 'owed' to you and you 'deserve'?
Old Sep 27, '06, 11:44 am

Sometimes I wonder about that invincible ignorance thing. It seems that in some ways it's better to be ignorant. As far as masturbation, when I was young I had an extremly high sex drive and still do. So there I was 12, 13 years old waking up with an erection every morning. As I got older I would practically walk around with one all the time if I didn't get relief. It seemed like the physical urge was just too strong to bear.
Old Sep 27, '06, 11:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicsilence View Post
Do I think its possible for someone to go to hell for masturbation? Yes.

That doesnt mean every person doing it has HELL on their foreheads.

Before God "woke me up", I was blind to his Law, I wasnt disobeying it directly, though I knew it was wrong.

I can't believe that God would send me to hell because I simply was doing what everyone else was doing and honestly didn't think about the morality of it.

God has since shown me the error of my ways. If i were to backtrack now, I would be thrown into hell for choosing it.

Peace and God Bless.
Great answer!
Old Sep 27, '06, 11:54 am

Religion: Catholic (revert)

Quote:
Sometimes I wonder about that invincible ignorance thing. It seems that in some ways it's better to be ignorant.
No, but I understand the sentiment. Besides, invincible ignorance only applies to certain things, like knowing about Christ and the Church. It does not apply to the moral law, since God writes that into every human heart. It's our conscience, and we all have one, even if many people suceed in eventually tuning theirs out.

Quote:
As far as masturbation, when I was young I had an extremly high sex drive and still do. So there I was 12, 13 years old waking up with an erection every morning. As I got older I would practically walk around with one all the time if I didn't get relief. It seemed like the physical urge was just too strong to bear.
God knows your life and your struggles. I'm also sure that all the men reading your message know what you are talking about. There was a time, before I came back to God and the Church, when I would also have said "the physical urge was just too strong to bear". And then when I came back I knew I had to stop, and, obviously by the grace of God, I was able to turn that behavior off just like turning off a switch. What had been impossible became possible, and even easy. I'm not making that up to encourage you; it's the truth.
Old Sep 27, '06, 11:55 am

Quote:
Sometimes I wonder about that invincible ignorance thing. It seems that in some ways it's better to be ignorant. As far as masturbation, when I was young I had an extremly high sex drive and still do. So there I was 12, 13 years old waking up with an erection every morning. As I got older I would practically walk around with one all the time if I didn't get relief. It seemed like the physical urge was just too strong to bear.
If we were truly aware of the offense sin causes to God, we would weep the whole day for even one venial sin.

As it is, we question whether it is better to not be aware of sin for earthly comfort.

The same thought crosses my mind sometimes, we have to identify it and reject it. It comes from the evil one.

Peace and God Bless.
Old Sep 27, '06, 12:01 pm

The fact of the matter is, we won't know until we die. The Catholic Church has never proclaimed that anyone is in Hell. We are not God, we cannot think like God. Therefore, we do not know the extent of his mercy.

You bring up a good point, though. Sometimes I wonder if masturbating is really a Hell worthy sin. But, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Seth - 2/17/10

Sebastian - 9/10/12

Immaculata, 5/12/09
Old Sep 27, '06, 12:03 pm

What is "run of the mill masturbation"?

The thing about sin is easy, if you do it and know it is wrong, it is a sin. You are rejecting God and His authority. You were created by Him and were made for Him and belong to Him. We do not belong to ourselves.
We are commanded to being open to life. Contraception is clearly condemed in Scripture. I took a vow before God, my peers, and my husband to obey and uphold that command. God also gave us an infertile time. NFP isn't as easy as popping a pill every day, but I least I know that I am loving God by doing His will and not aborting my babies.
I never struggled with masturbation. Maybe it is because I am a girl. I wish people didn't have to struggle with it. I don't have any advice to offer on that. But here it what I do know with all of my being and what I can give to you; God would never, ever give you a cross that He hadn't given you the strength to bear. What's more, He isn't a sadist. Whatever He allows you to bear will purge you and is an oppurtunity to bring you closer to Him.
Choosing to delibertly sin becuase you feel it isn't a big enough sin to damn you is a sin against the Holy Spirit, the sin of presumption, and certainly you can go to hell for that. But why would you not want to remain in God's sanctifying grace?
Old Sep 27, '06, 12:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicsilence View Post
If we were truly aware of the offense sin causes to God, we would weep the whole day for even one venial sin.
Beautiful!
Old Sep 27, '06, 12:08 pm

Just for the record here, I've been married over 20 years to an attractive and wonderful woman, and don't masturbate anymore. I'm bringing this up though for discussion after reading several threads here on the topic. I know that I indulged when I was young quite voraciously. Truthfully, I was pretty wild when I was young in alot of ways.
Old Sep 27, '06, 12:08 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Cradle, active, Roman Catholic

Quote:
Do you think people really go to Hell for these things?
Regardless of the sin -

it's when one commits the sin, knowing it is gravely wrong to do so, understanding why it is grave to do so, yet chooses to do it anyway

that a person can go to hell for those things....

IF they die before seeking and obtaining forgiveness/absolution for such actions with a contrite heart not to repeat the offenses again.

That's the definition of mortal sin which condemns us to hell.

All other actions done without clear knowledge and understanding, or perhaps even under duress, are serious sin and need to be examined properly but they are not instantaneously mortal.

At least that's my understanding of the catechism and Church teaching on the matter.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology