Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: How long should mass be?
less than 45 minutes 3 1.72%
45 minutes to 1 hour 30 17.24%
1 hour to 1hour 15 minutes 37 21.26%
1 hour 15 minutes to 1 and 30 minutes 9 5.17%
longer than 1 hour and 30 minutes 2 1.15%
as long as it takes 92 52.87%
other 1 0.57%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 11, '04, 7:31 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Length of Mass

Has anyone else noted that mass seems to be getting longer and longer? At our parish it is approaching an hour and a half. When we were in Italy in 2001 mass never lasted longer than 45 min., even at St. Peter. I think an hour is long enough. What are your thoughts?
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Tiber Swim Team of 1973.
Old Aug 11, '04, 7:52 am

Send a message via ICQ to robertaf Send a message via AIM to robertaf Send a message via MSN to robertaf Send a message via Yahoo to robertaf
Default Re: Length of Mass

Good Morning Church

I voted for up to an hour and a half, but I would gladly go to two hours if the homily is terrific.

God supplies us everything. We have the greatest banquet we could ever imagine. What do we give back to him? Usually the crumbs from the table.

We are asked to give just one hour, can't we do better than that? We would watch a movie or a football game that takes longer than that!

Trouble is, many priests just will not take the time to prepare a good homily.
Old Aug 11, '04, 8:17 am

Religion: RC

sure can tell who the old-line Catholics are, bring back the Tridentine low Mass so we can get out of the parking lot early and pick up the bagels before the deli gets too crowded.
Old Aug 11, '04, 8:42 am

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Colossus Send a message via Yahoo to Dr. Colossus

I put an hour to an hour and 15 minutes. I think the Mass should be at least an hour (in a fairly large parish at least). It simply takes that long to go through all of the Liturgy, a good homily, and Communion. To take any less time, something would have to be rushed, or music would have to be eliminated, or some other lack of reverance would have to be introduced. I cringe every time I hear of people going to other parishes because their Masses are shorter. I have friends who go to the Mass at our local hospital, which is so short they call it the "drive-through Mass"
Old Aug 11, '04, 9:12 am

I voted for "an hour to an hour and 15 min." The Masses at our parish are always at least an hour unless we have a visiting priest filling in. Our resident priests tend not to rush things, which I think is good. Plus we have a large parish and sometimes it takes a LONG time for everyone to receive Eucharist.
Old Aug 11, '04, 9:12 am

Religion: Catholic (Roman Rite, Loyal to the Magisterium)
Send a message via MSN to T.A.Stobie, SFO Send a message via Yahoo to T.A.Stobie, SFO

As long as it takes to be well done.

Daily masses usually take less than Sunday & Holyday masses which takes less than special masses, such as the Easter Vigil.
Old Aug 11, '04, 10:46 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Meggie

As long as it takes

I know many of you don't like LifeTeen but our Masses sometime exceed 2 hours...I LOVE it, and all the rest of the kids do, too

At my parent's church the Sunday Mass usually barly reaches 45 min
Old Aug 11, '04, 10:53 am

Send a message via ICQ to robertaf Send a message via AIM to robertaf Send a message via MSN to robertaf Send a message via Yahoo to robertaf

Greetings

Many Charismatic Masses last 2 hours or more as well. I hate to see them end.
How can we rush something so beautiful?
Old Aug 11, '04, 10:55 am

I once heard a Priest ask this question.
"If you can't stand to spend over an hour at Mass, how will you stand eternity in Heaven?"
Old Aug 11, '04, 11:55 am

The Orlando Diocese Bishop has a tv Mass on Sundays that lasts not entirely 30 minutes. My local parish lasts around one hour for Sunday.
Old Aug 11, '04, 11:56 am
Banned

I voted "As Long as It Takes". Really, where else do you have to be on Sunday that is more important?

That said, I prefer a timely daily mass when I am trying to get to work on time.
Old Aug 11, '04, 12:01 pm
Banned

Religion: the only True Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meggie
As long as it takes

I know many of you don't like LifeTeen but our Masses sometime exceed 2 hours...I LOVE it, and all the rest of the kids do, too

Wow that is exactly what anti Catholic-Pentecostalism people say. That the Life Teen mess separates the children from the parents. Life Teen messes have so many abuses and lots of stuff that isn't in sync with Catholicism. Yet if I wanted a Solemn High Traditional Latin Mass[or even a Missa Cantata] with an hour long sermon every Sunday ... in every parish.... I would be called a schismatic. Yet the Solemn High Traditional Mass is an almost perfect expression of Catholicism, while Life Teen messes have many things borrowed from Protestants.Weird ain't it???
Old Aug 11, '04, 12:14 pm
Banned

Religion: Ukrainian Greek Catholic [ Orthodox in communion with Rome ]

Why should there be a specified time limit ? Goodness gracious me - what was it Christ said - something like "could you not watch one hour with me ?
Old Aug 11, '04, 12:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meggie
As long as it takes

How lovely to enjoy Mass like you do. I have never been to a Life Teen Mass but I would love to if a Grandma would be welcome.

As an older lady, a mom and a grandma, I would like to give you some advise, even though you haven't asked for it.

There are folks in these boards who would tell you things about these Masses that are not very nice. They tell me the same stuff about Charismatic Masses. You ignore them. You go to the Mass that brings you closer to the Lord and the Sacraments. If the Holy Spirit urges you to sing, clap your hands and stomp your feet, you listen to the Holy Spirit.

As long as these Masses are approved by the Church and your parents, do not worry about what other folks say to you.
This might even be a great time to invite your non Catholic friends to go to Mass with you.

God Bless you
Old Aug 11, '04, 1:58 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic, outside of which no one at all can be saved
Send a message via AIM to amarkich

"Wow that is exactly what anti Catholic-Pentecostalism people say. That the Life Teen mess separates the children from the parents. Life Teen messes have so many abuses and lots of stuff that isn't in sync with Catholicism. Yet if I wanted a Solemn High Traditional Latin Mass[or even a Missa Cantata] with an hour long sermon every Sunday ... in every parish.... I would be called a schismatic. Yet the Solemn High Traditional Mass is an almost perfect expression of Catholicism, while Life Teen messes have many things borrowed from Protestants.Weird ain't it???I was about to rail on most (or at least some) of you, but Cathoilc_Eagle has already done a great job of that."

Good job, Cathoilic_Eagle. It is ridiculous to see some of the nonsense at the LifeTeen Messes (and all Charismatic Messes). They are a joke to say the least and usually invalid. In any event, asquared sums up the ignorance and stupidity of neo-conservatives (and worse, liberals) who oppose the Mass of All Times, trying to characterize the Mass by the singular practice in some churches in America (and some Irish churches, not the rest of the world) for only a short period of time!! Compare this to the Nervous Disorder, and the person making the comment finds himself embarassed (especially in light of the 20 Minute Special and similar Masses offered by my "Catholic" school "priest" or the fact that most of them do not even say Mass unless they are schedule to!!!).

By the way, asquared's comment was: "sure can tell who the old-line Catholics are, bring back the Tridentine low Mass so we can get out of the parking lot early and pick up the bagels before the deli gets too crowded." I would add to what I said above, that this person also shows his ignorance by the fact that popular devotions were commonly practiced (even in the churches with quick Masses) whereas they are nowhere to be found in most 'parishes.'

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments