Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Sep 29, '06, 7:08 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: My husband hates his job..need help

A word of advice from one who has made the mistake:

Help your husband make a list of:
What he DOESN'T like about his job
What he DOES like
What he'd ideally have in a job.

When the time comes, be very clear about what you're looking for. DO NOT take any ole position just to move away from the current situation as you could be jumping from the frying pan into the fire. Instead take a position that moves you toward your ideal.

Religious or not, God allows us to experience certain situations to gain wisdom. Work it.
Old Sep 29, '06, 9:37 pm

I have no useful advice. But, the sacrificial nature of husbands supporting their families makes me think of the Marie Bellet song, "One Heroic Moment."

I get weepy every time I hear it.
Old Oct 7, '06, 3:42 pm

You are all so wonderful in your advice!
The reason he has to stay for 10 months is because he's in the military, so there's no getting out of that early. He's been doing better lately, and letting him know that I appreciate his sacrifice seems to help. Also I've been rubbing his feet after work, and this puts him in a much better mood!
We recently decided that we are going to move to Colorado when it comes time for him to leave his job, so that has helped in narrowing down the job search. He wants to start work doing something different than what he's been doing in the military. He's very outgoing, and can talk to anyone, so I'm sure we won't have a problem finding him something he'll enjoy. I pray!
Old Oct 7, '06, 9:16 pm

Start job hunting now, make sure he gets scheduled for his separation class that will help him with resume and other things available.

See if he has any contacts in Colorado he can start re-connecting with to help with job search.

What is his MOS/job currently?

Mike
Roman Catholic
Knights of Columbus
Old Oct 8, '06, 2:39 pm

Religion: Totally Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacagno View Post
We recently decided that we are going to move to Colorado when it comes time for him to leave his job, so that has helped in narrowing down the job search.
Speaking as someone who was in the military and now lives in Colorado, you're making a good choice. Colorado is a wonderful place to live.

Do you have any ideas of what area?

My suggestion to him is to make sure he is not just waiting 10 months to get out of the military. Start planning now. Ten months will go by quickly, especially if he starts doing his research now on exactly where you would like to live and more importantly what he wants to do career wise.

Incidentally, if you are considering the Denver area, I can recommend some good parishes.

Twitter me! http://twitter.com/SemperJase

Old Oct 8, '06, 3:08 pm

Send a message via MSN to MichaelTDoyle

For a long while I was in a bad job situation. I believe it was a test of humility. Through suffering, we grow. Having Catholic theology and meditations behind suffering really help in a time like this.

I am not saying to try and convert him, but maybe introduce him to the aspects of Catholicism that help us deal with difficult times for the express purpose of helping him. There is a St. Joseph Prayer I started to pray during these bad days and even though they're not here now, I still keep praying it:
http://www.catholic-forum.com/SAINTS/pray0142.htm
Every morning it helps me put it all in perspective.

I am sure it would take a great deal of sensitivity to help in a time like this.

peace

mike
Old Oct 8, '06, 3:40 pm
Book Club Member

I am Loren's husband. I have 20 years in the millitary and I can't get out for 16 months (promotion). I don't know what his job is, but has he looked into trying to cross train into another carrer field. I have met a lot of people on both the officer and enlisted side that have come back in to the Air Force. The other thing to look at is he may be able to count his millitary time toward a civil service job. I know where he is coming from some days I hate my job and other days I love it. Before he does anything he really needs to look at all the options. He can PM me through this post.
James
Old Oct 10, '06, 2:04 pm

We're looking at the Denver area. My sister lives there now. I am from California and he's from Ohio, so we wanted somewhere in between. Neither of us has lived there, so we are going into this blind. Although, I've already started to look for jobs for him, and we'll be sending his resume out soon. Also, he's going to start transitional assistance class 6 months out.
If you live in Denver, do you know of any job openings for ex-military?
Semperjase, you mentioned some good parishes???
Old Oct 11, '06, 10:51 pm

Religion: Totally Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacagno View Post
If you live in Denver, do you know of any job openings for ex-military?
I live in a "burb" just south of Denver. I moved here right after I got out of the USMC about 12 years ago (has it already been that long?)
I really do love it here. Weather wise, the summers are usually mild and the winters aren't too cold. It snows in the Denver area but the snow melts within a day or two normally.

E-mail me about what kind of job he might be looking for and if I can't point him in the right direction, I'll ask around to see if I know someone who can. My email is my screen name @yahoo.com.

I'm taking a long weekend to go out of town so it might take a few days to get back to you.

Quote:
Semperjase, you mentioned some good parishes???
Well, the ones I have most experience are on the south side of the metro area.
St. Mary's Littleton is a pretty large parish and is developing quite a reputation for its professional quality music program. They do a concert series evey year and their performance of Handel's Messiah is awesome - I saw it last year.

St. Thomas More
is one of the biggest this side of the Mississippi. They even have their own restauraunt. This one really caters to families. Huge, which is why we prefer St. Mary's, it's big but not too big.

Twitter me! http://twitter.com/SemperJase

Old Oct 14, '11, 8:24 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: catholic

Have a two-fold issue re hubby's job: finances & horrible boss.
2 yrs. ago hubby got laid off from his job of 13 yrs. and hates his current job of 2 mos. where the boss is a tyrant, screaming, throwing things, lied about salary, etc. but unemployment is high in this area and economy. He consistently does a job search but few and far between. I email his resume to ads, so the plan is obviously get out asap to something better...but the big question is when...took 2 yrs. to get this! Meanwhile, hubby is a nightmare when he comes home. I have a lovely meal ready, house clean and quiet. I used to say a cheerful, "How was your day?" but learned that’s a huge mistake. Self preservation to avoid stress has me barely saying hello now because absolutely any conversation sets him into a rage, i.e. tonight I asked why he was eating leftover spaghetti when I had prepared a beautiful meal for him? That launched his verbal attack, name calling, swearing and then he left, and of course I still, after all these years, don’t know what to do except yell back in a fruitless attempt to demand respect and an apology. I don't know what to do to stop him yelling and cursing so horribly. Should I walk away? Tell him to leave? Yell back? I worry about him. Anyway, all my positive encouragement these past 2 yrs. during his unemployment was fruitless and him being home was distracting me from my work as I work F/T at home w/ an online business, have worked 15 hrs. / day for 2yrs. and am wearing down. Our finances are suffering w/ his extremely low income since the boss lied about salary, plus the boss is a tyrant which makes matters worse. I've even gone so far as to say that if I can earn enough money he won't have to work, but that's a blow to the male ego. I really don’t know what to do?
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life