Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Answers--Today > Radio (Catholic Answers Live)

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 6, '06, 11:19 am

Default Relevant Radio vs. EWTN radio

When I first got Catholic radio in my hometown, it was EWTN radio. I had been a cafeteria Catholic for a while, and I credit EWTN radio for bringing me back into the fullness of my Catholic faith. Every program on the schedule helped me in my journey, most especially Father Corapi and Catholic Answers Live. After a while, the Catholic radio station switched from EWTN radio to Relevant Radio. Relevant Radio has wonderful programs also, especially Morning Air and the Drew Mariani show. However, I have not enjoyed Relevant Radio as much, especially since they took CAL off the air. Relevant Radio has come out with some new programs this year, which I enjoy, but I still prefer the programs on EWTN radio. After all, those were the programs that brought me back to my faith. I'm thinking of getting a shortwave radio to get EWTN back. What's everyone else's thoughts?? Which do you prefer??
Old Oct 6, '06, 12:06 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Relevant Radio vs. EWTN radio

I rarely listen to relevant radio, so I can't be much help. The shortwave works fine to get ewtn, though.

Do you know why they don't carry CAL anymore?
Old Oct 6, '06, 2:41 pm

I listen to Relevant Radio but I do not like it as much as EWTN Radio. Relevant Radio used to be excellent but the changes they have made over the years has made it worse. Here are the changes I do not like over the past few years…

-Taking “Catholic Answers Live" off the air.

-Jeff Cavins leaving as the host of “Morning Air”.

-Removing “Pro-Life Open Forum” with Barbara McGuigan off the air.

-Taking “The Right Questions” with Sheila Liaugaminas off the air.

-Dr. Coleen Mast leaving “The Dr. Is In” & reducing the show from 2 hours down to 1 hour.

-Removing Al Kresta’s Show off the air.

-I like The Drew Mariani Show but 3 hours in the afternoon with Drew is too much.

I still think Relevant Radio is good and much better than secular radio but is used to be excellent before all these changes were made.

OMSoul.com, PureLoveClub.com (Chastity Education - Jason Evert), ChristopherWest.com, InForumBlog.com, LifeSiteNews.com, Catholic Answers Live, EWTN.com.
Old Oct 6, '06, 3:48 pm
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (revert)

EWTN Radio can also be heard via Sirius radio (which unfortunately needs special equipment and has a monthly fee). Is it difficult to receive EWTN via shortwave?

aquietcatholic.blogspot.com
Old Oct 6, '06, 4:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatQuilt View Post
Is it difficult to receive EWTN via shortwave?
Well, you need a shortwave radio first. The signal can be better and worse depending on random factors. My signal is good right now. I can hear it just fine. I've not had any particular trouble getting ewtn on shortwave.
Old Oct 6, '06, 4:44 pm
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug View Post
Well, you need a shortwave radio first. The signal can be better and worse depending on random factors. My signal is good right now. I can hear it just fine. I've not had any particular trouble getting ewtn on shortwave.
It won't come in over my microwave...is that different that shortwave???
Old Oct 6, '06, 5:33 pm
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

I actually like them both, equally. I really enjoy Relevant Radio...I am bummed when traffic is not heavy in the morning, and I can't finish listening to a special guest that Morning Air is interviewing!!! Now...if you are praying for traffic, you know that the show is GOOD!!: LOL

It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our preaching. ~St. Francis of Assisi
Old Oct 6, '06, 9:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieodae View Post
It won't come in over my microwave...is that different that shortwave???
Maybe the MICROwave would be fine if you put it on stilts. I think a tall microwave would really be a SHORTwave.
Old Oct 18, '06, 6:04 pm

I think they may have made some changes just bc some people lent their time and talent in the beginning until others could take over. Many of the people already had shows on EWTN TV and also write columns, so perhaps their time was limited. I'm sure Dr. Ray travels quite a bit and also has a full time job plus a large family, so needed to cut back some. BTW, his DVD is very good.

I've listened to Relevant Radio for about 2 yrs. I like their Be a Radio-active Catholic line! I can only get EWTN radio via computer, so I listen to selected programs and have listened regularly to Open Line. It's similar to Cathlic Answers which I really enjoyed on RR and was sad to see it go. I prefer Patrick Madrid and Fr. Pacwa on Open Line. I like to listen as I'm doing hair and makeup. Can't think of a better way to use that time!
I catch Drew's show occaisionally, and think he's fine, but I like Morning Air better, esp 3 Questions (where you can't lose!).

I pray they will both be able to stay on the air and expand to FM in all 50 states. EWTN is worldwide. God Bless them and all who work for them!

Mimi

“It is not a unity of religion we seek but a union of religious people. We may not be able to meet in the same pew, but we can meet together on our knees (as Christians)"
~ Archbishop Fulton J Sheen

Old Oct 18, '06, 6:27 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic - Latin Rite

We have both in the Detroit area and I prefer EWTN.

So far, the one that runs Relevant Radio (only part time) has not taken off CA-Live as of yet. Of course, they never played shows like Kresta and the Dr. Is In since they are produced by the competing radio station in the area.
Old Oct 28, '06, 6:15 pm

Religion: Catholic (Roman Rite)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asella View Post
When I first got Catholic radio in my hometown, it was EWTN radio. I had been a cafeteria Catholic for a while, and I credit EWTN radio for bringing me back into the fullness of my Catholic faith. Every program on the schedule helped me in my journey, most especially Father Corapi and Catholic Answers Live. After a while, the Catholic radio station switched from EWTN radio to Relevant Radio. Relevant Radio has wonderful programs also, especially Morning Air and the Drew Mariani show. However, I have not enjoyed Relevant Radio as much, especially since they took CAL off the air. Relevant Radio has come out with some new programs this year, which I enjoy, but I still prefer the programs on EWTN radio. After all, those were the programs that brought me back to my faith. I'm thinking of getting a shortwave radio to get EWTN back. What's everyone else's thoughts?? Which do you prefer??
I know nothing of Relevant Radio and, from other posts in this thread, not sure I'd want to. In 1998, when my cable system further reduced the visibility of EWTN (electing to time-share the channel with the local diocesan service and a Protestant service!!), we purchased a modestly-priced shortwave receiver and AC adapter from Radio Shack for just under $100. It still works well to this day, though we use it less often, since our new cable provider offers EWTN 24/7 on its digital tier. Also, go to www.ewtn.com and dig down to their Radio page; you can listen to it on your computer!
Old Oct 28, '06, 7:56 pm

I really like Relevant Radio - I only get EWTN Radio via internet. I really like Morning Air, and a couple of the new shows are quite good. I do wish Dr. Ray was on a lot more often - I wish he had been on the air when I was raising my kids several years ago! I'd like them to put Father Larry Richards on earlier. In the Chicago area, they go off the air when it gets dark, so we miss him now.
Old Oct 28, '06, 8:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLAL View Post

-Jeff Cavins leaving as the host of “Morning Air”.

-Removing “Pro-Life Open Forum” with Barbara McGuigan off the air.
I never knew that Jeff Cavins was the host of "Morning Air". How long ago was this? I remember the time when he hosted EWTN's Life on the Rock.

Also, when did they air Barbara McGuigan?

God Bless...
You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:13
Old Oct 28, '06, 8:59 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Funny I should stumble upon this thread first after not checking the boards in months. Relevant Radio is a sore spot for me.

I, too, have wondered a lot about them after the drastic programming changes they've made. Many times I would tune in one day only to have the very same hosts missing when I tuned in the following day (Theresa Tomeo comes to mind, although I probably misspelled her name.) However, the last straw for me was when, during a recent pledge drive, their Director of Evangelization got on Drew Mariani's show and slammed the Latin Mass and use of Latin in liturgy in general, and questioned how licit the Latin Mass is (yeah, that' s right, the Tridentine rite, the one Benedict XVI is ready to give a universal indult for) . I emailed Drew, who forwarded my email to man (Joe something, I forget his name) who then replied to me. I wrote a reply but didn't send it...I'm still so steamed, it probably is better I leave it alone. Needless to say, I really don't listen to it anymore, and am glad I never pledged.

Anyway, I wish I could get EWTN radio in my car. It's the only place I really get a chance to listen to the radio.
Old Oct 29, '06, 3:48 am
Banned

Religion: Eastern Catholic

I can't speak to which I like best. I don't receive EWTN Radio at all and only listen selectively to Relevant Radio. I do like Father Thomas Loya's insightful comments.

CDL

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Answers--Today > Radio (Catholic Answers Live)