Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Answers--Today > Radio (Catholic Answers Live)

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 8, '07, 6:14 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Relevant Radio vs. EWTN radio

There are a couple of shows which have been on Relevant Radio for a while now, and they are quite good - Searching the Word and The Inner Life. Give them a listen if you can, they are well worth it. I also really like Sean Harriott on Morning Air. He is a former evangelical, and he has such wonderful insight into what makes the Church and the sacraments so beautiful.
Old Oct 9, '07, 8:16 am
Banned

Religion: Eastern Catholic

My favorite is "Light of the East" with Father Loya. His subjects are always timely and exceedingly insightful.

CDL
Old Oct 15, '07, 6:22 pm

Has anyone had any experience requesting XM Radio carry EWTN? I intend to write but I'm curious if there is a reason - surely EWTN isn't signing exclusivity deals
Old Oct 24, '07, 3:08 am

Religion: Orthodox
Send a message via AIM to brittrossiter Send a message via Skype™ to brittrossiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryPalamas View Post
My favorite is "Light of the East" with Father Loya. His subjects are always timely and exceedingly insightful.

CDL
I love Light of the East and Father Loya. He's also on EWTN radio now, on Sunday mornings

Jason

St. John, Forerunner and Baptist, please pray for me.
Old Oct 24, '07, 3:58 am

I prefer EWTN but like Relevant Radio 90% of the time - mostly except for their show "Community of Faith". A "local" show from the archdiocese of Chicago. I hear questionable material on there sometimes...a few weeks ago a priest was on and was emphatic that the Vatican had approved the use of Eastern type methods for Catholic prayer. This seemed to complete contradict the Vatican document I read specifically warning against the influence and use of Eastern methods in Catholic/Christian prayer. I wish I could remember the name of the document, but can't. The priest sounded very "new-agey". I got so mad I wanted to call the station but didn't have my cell phone with me.

So far, I think it's a very good orthodox station, but with the removal of Catholic Answers live and a few other shows, I worry they may be headed in the wrong direction to appease the more 'progressive' members of the USCCB. I pray not.
Old Oct 24, '07, 10:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elzee View Post
I prefer EWTN but like Relevant Radio 90% of the time - mostly except for their show "Community of Faith". A "local" show from the archdiocese of Chicago. I hear questionable material on there sometimes
I totally agree with you. I don't know why they don't completely remove this program (one hour) off the air. We used to hear "Catholic Answers Live" during this hour a long time ago on Relevant Radio. I wish they would go back to "Catholic Answers Live" which is an excellent program.

The only good time to listen to the "Community of Faith" hour is the first Wednesday of the month when Mary Louis Kurey (former Miss Wisconsin) discusses Pro-Life Issues. Otherwise this hour is full of garbage.

PLAL

OMSoul.com, PureLoveClub.com (Chastity Education - Jason Evert), ChristopherWest.com, InForumBlog.com, LifeSiteNews.com, Catholic Answers Live, EWTN.com.
Old Oct 24, '07, 12:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elzee View Post
I prefer EWTN but like Relevant Radio 90% of the time - mostly except for their show "Community of Faith". A "local" show from the archdiocese of Chicago. I hear questionable material on there sometimes...a few weeks ago a priest was on and was emphatic that the Vatican had approved the use of Eastern type methods for Catholic prayer. This seemed to complete contradict the Vatican document I read specifically warning against the influence and use of Eastern methods in Catholic/Christian prayer. I wish I could remember the name of the document, but can't. The priest sounded very "new-agey". I got so mad I wanted to call the station but didn't have my cell phone with me.

So far, I think it's a very good orthodox station, but with the removal of Catholic Answers live and a few other shows, I worry they may be headed in the wrong direction to appease the more 'progressive' members of the USCCB. I pray not.

I wasn't able to listen the show you're referencing too above, but yesterday on the Drew Mariani show, Drew had a former Reiki-master as a guest who talked about how Reiki and other "new-agey" things are just a doorway for Satan into one's life.

They spoke against the whole NewAge movement and how it's against Catholic-teaching.

--Barbara
Old Oct 24, '07, 1:18 pm

Ironically, the one hour Archdiocesan show on 820 is about the only thing which I really DO like on RR. Given, sometimes the guests (and even hosts) are a little offbase or have an agenda to push. But it is discussion of local things important to us in the area. And, since the faith is practiced in a real context of real place, I find that to be important and refreshing. Really, I wish that it were available for more than one mere hour a day. That said, I do think that there would be a better way to accomplish such a show, with a single quality host who had a longer program than the one hour and could just naturally intertwine conversation on any number of topics into his program, rather than the hodgepode of individually produced shows by poor, inexperienced with radio, hosts that is just a mess of a situation.
Old Oct 24, '07, 1:28 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_from_Ypsi View Post
I found the following interesting about the Mission Statement of Relevant Radio:

"In fidelity to God, Relevant Radio creates, promotes and endorses programming that follows the post-Vatican II teachings of the Roman Catholic Magisterium. Relevant Radio is the first and only radio network to be approved by the USCCB as a national media outlet and through a strategic collaboration with bishops and their dioceses, Relevant Radio is able to serve the Church by providing programming that is adapted to the needs of the listening audience."

So, it looks like the USCCB endorses Relevant Radio over
EWTN. I also conclude the USCCB dislikes EWTN, Ave Maria
Radio and Catholic Answers because they lack USCCB approval and the programming does not follow the post
Vatican II teachings of the Catholic Magisterium.

May be some of us listeners might want to suggest our Bishops re-consider this statement by Relevant Radio.

Regards,

The USCCB endorses RR? I knew there was a reason I prefered EWTN.
Old Oct 26, '07, 4:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by He Man View Post
The USCCB endorses RR? I knew there was a reason I prefered EWTN.
Part of their business plan, from the beginning, was to partner better with the bishops and offer them time on the station in exchange for free publicity through parishes and a cooperative relationship. This is, perhaps, one thing which they have done better and more effectively than other Catholic radio endeovors. Still, it sometimes seems that the more independent apostolates are often able to do things better, being unincumbered by ecclesiatical politics and interests.
Old Nov 2, '07, 2:12 pm
Radio Club Member

Religion: Catholic, as of Easter Vigil 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manfred View Post
I know nothing of Relevant Radio and, from other posts in this thread, not sure I'd want to. In 1998, when my cable system further reduced the visibility of EWTN (electing to time-share the channel with the local diocesan service and a Protestant service!!), we purchased a modestly-priced shortwave receiver and AC adapter from Radio Shack for just under $100. It still works well to this day, though we use it less often, since our new cable provider offers EWTN 24/7 on its digital tier. Also, go to www.ewtn.com and dig down to their Radio page; you can listen to it on your computer!
This is one reason to go to satellite. Honestly, originally, I got a satellite because cable was behind the times, and I wanted to watch pro football other than the 49ers and Raiders. Being a TRUE Catholic, I'm a Saints fan...but when we found EWTN on there, down on good old channel 422, it proved to be the right choice.
Old Nov 2, '07, 2:15 pm
Radio Club Member

Religion: Catholic, as of Easter Vigil 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummybee View Post
Funny I should stumble upon this thread first after not checking the boards in months. Relevant Radio is a sore spot for me.

I, too, have wondered a lot about them after the drastic programming changes they've made. Many times I would tune in one day only to have the very same hosts missing when I tuned in the following day (Theresa Tomeo comes to mind, although I probably misspelled her name.) However, the last straw for me was when, during a recent pledge drive, their Director of Evangelization got on Drew Mariani's show and slammed the Latin Mass and use of Latin in liturgy in general, and questioned how licit the Latin Mass is (yeah, that' s right, the Tridentine rite, the one Benedict XVI is ready to give a universal indult for) . I emailed Drew, who forwarded my email to man (Joe something, I forget his name) who then replied to me. I wrote a reply but didn't send it...I'm still so steamed, it probably is better I leave it alone. Needless to say, I really don't listen to it anymore, and am glad I never pledged.

Anyway, I wish I could get EWTN radio in my car. It's the only place I really get a chance to listen to the radio.
Technology can be a wonderful thing. I download the shows I want onto my laptop, make a CD, and put it in my MP3 compatible CD player in the car. Just like radio! Voila!
Old Nov 2, '07, 2:32 pm

Hello Mummybee. I started listening to Relevant Radio a couple of years ago - mostly in the afternoon. For the last year I've been listening at all hours. I assume that I started listening after Teresa Tomeo left.
Your post got me a little curious about what happened to her and I went to the Internet and found www.TeresaTomeo.com. Her website states that she is now "... host of Catholic Connection is a dynamic Professional Speaker and Media Personality. She discusses social issues, media awareness, and interviews businesses, youth, families, and community leaders in Southeastern Michigan, and across the country. Teresa reports on news throughout the Catholic community and how we can make a difference. Catholic Connection is heard in Southeastern Michigan on Ave Maria Radio and carried nationwide through EWTN Global Catholic Radio and Sirius Satellite Channel 160."
Old Nov 28, '07, 7:04 pm

Theresa Tomeo has a morning on AVE MARIA Radio in Ann Arbor Mich. I think this station was started by Tom Monaghan the owner/ starter of Domino Pizza Company . Ave Maria Radio has Theresa Tomeo & Al Kresta in the studio daily. I am from Charlotte,NC and I use the internet radio.

You guys should listen to 'Fr. John Riccardo Christ is the Answer ' a powerful speaker.

I listen to Ave Maria about 75% & EWTN 25%
Old Nov 28, '07, 7:22 pm

Religion: practicing Catholic...one day I'll get it right
Send a message via Yahoo to kentuckyliz Send a message via Skype™ to kentuckyliz

The Catholic station in my diocese, 1380 AM Real Life Radio of Lexington, KY, is pretty good with its local shows. There's a good Diocese Report daily show, and the host is a professional journalist and he's always very well prepared and a good interviewer of the guests. Sometimes when there's no guests there's another partner, an older gentleman who is a deacon, but they have topics they'll talk about, and they banter a bit, and it's good. Also there's a weekly Faith and Science show and it's pro-life and covers medical news as it relates to faith, one of the hosts is a doctor. It's always really good.

I don't get it on the air because I live too far away from Lexington, but I listen on the internet. I wish they'd podcast their locally produced shows because they're really good!

Lamb of God, you take away the sin of the world!
Have mercy on us and grant us peace.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Answers--Today > Radio (Catholic Answers Live)