Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Oct 6, '06, 8:03 pm

Religion: catholic
Default does everybody go to purgatory

I dont understand purgatory, is it a place that christians go to suffer until they have suffered enough for there sins?did not Jesus take the punishment of sin upon him self "death".What verses mention this place?Do people still go to Hell or do they go to purgatory?
Old Oct 6, '06, 8:33 pm
Banned

Religion: godless liberal
Default Re: does everybody go to purgatory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo73 View Post
I dont understand purgatory, is it a place that christians go to suffer until they have suffered enough for there sins?did not Jesus take the punishment of sin upon him self "death".What verses mention this place?Do people still go to Hell or do they go to purgatory?
I thought Catholics believe that Saints do not have to go to so-called "Purgatory".
Old Oct 6, '06, 8:43 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Catholic

Quote:

Everyone who dies in God's grace with any venial sin or imperfection will go to Purgatory for a time. Everyone who dies with unrepented Mortal sin goes directly to Hell.
Old Oct 6, '06, 9:40 pm

Religion: catholic

CCC
1030 All who die in God's grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified, are indeed assured of their eternal salvation; but after death they undergo purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven.

Even Pope John Paul II went to regular Confession. The odds of dieing in a perfect state of grace are small.
Old Oct 6, '06, 10:10 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Welcome, Damo!!! Let me ask you, what is the prison that Jesus refers to in Matthew 5:26, and what is the last penny you have to pay?

Mat. 5:25-26 - Settle with your opponent quickly while on the way to court with him. Otherwise your opponent will hand you over to the judge, and the judge will hand you over to the guard, and you will be thrown into prison. Amen, I say to you, you will not be released until you have paid the last penny.
Old Oct 7, '06, 12:22 am

Unfortunately many think of Purgatory as a lesser evil than hell. Nothing can be further from the truth. Purgatory is merely a state by which God can purify us completely so we can wholly receive him. Sin is basically looking for satisfaction in something else other than God. In order to enter heaven, we must renounce these 'satisfactions' and the process causes suffering in the soul as we are depriving it from the habits it was used to. In the process the soul will no longer seek to feed on these habits but on God.
There is also suffering in that the soul experiences separation from God. Remember that all sin, no matter how small is infinitely opposed to God and hence God cannot wolly communicate with a soul that is in opposition to his infinite love. And being that heaven is that state in which the soul is in union with God....well you get the idea

Cheers

Alex
Old Oct 7, '06, 5:52 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
http://www.catholic.com/library/purgatory.asp
http://www.scripturecatholic.com/purgatory.html
Old Oct 7, '06, 5:56 am

Quote:
I hope that in God's ultimate grace that everyone goes to purgatory. I pray that nobody goes to hell.
Old Oct 7, '06, 6:02 am
Forum Master

Damo, you're going to have to explain Paul in 1 Corinthians, for Catholics teach that this points to Purgatory.

(1 Cor. 3:10-15) According to the grace of God given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building upon it. But each one must be careful how he builds upon it, for no one can lay a foundation other than the one that is there, namely, Jesus Christ. If anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, or straw, the work of each will come to light, for the Day will disclose it. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire (itself) will test the quality of each one's work. If the work stands that someone built upon the foundation, that person will receive a wage. But if someone's work is burned up, that one will suffer loss; the person will be saved, but only as through fire.

After your death, you suffer loss, as through fire (Purgatory), but you are still saved.
Old Oct 7, '06, 6:04 am

Religion: Catholic (former TEC & UMC)

...or, you might be the thief on the cross to whom God himself says "today you will be with me in paradise"....

If the Catholic doctrine of purgatory is real (most Protestants read the Scriptures to come to a different conclusion, I don't know about the Orthodox), I doubt that in real life there are many people who die without even one venial sin or doubt on their soul. If that's the case, then you'd end up in purgatory to be cleansed so that you can proceed to heaven.
Old Oct 7, '06, 6:41 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr1213 View Post
...or, you might be the thief on the cross to whom God himself says "today you will be with me in paradise"....

If the Catholic doctrine of purgatory is real (most Protestants read the Scriptures to come to a different conclusion, I don't know about the Orthodox), I doubt that in real life there are many people who die without even one venial sin or doubt on their soul. If that's the case, then you'd end up in purgatory to be cleansed so that you can proceed to heaven.
BINGO!!!!! Until you've paid the last penny.

Unless of course, Jesus looks over at you and says, "Today, you will be with me in Paradise...."
Old Oct 7, '06, 6:45 am

I wish all Christians and Catholics could shift their thinking from "what do i have to do to stay out of hell and get to heaven" and shift instead to "i don't want to commit this sin because i don't want to distance myself from my Creator. I love Him too much to disrespect God and myself"..... the world would be much holier.
Old Oct 7, '06, 6:47 am
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

You're so right, chris.

The first way of thinking is purely reactionary; the second is true and positive action.

I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful" (Ordinatio Sacerdotalis 4). Pope John Paul II.
Old Oct 7, '06, 8:07 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWorthy View Post
BINGO!!!!! Until you've paid the last penny.

Unless of course, Jesus looks over at you and says, "Today, you will be with me in Paradise...."
Temporal suffering at the time of death might in fact mitigate Purgatory. The good thief was crucified next to Jesus, after all, able to talk to Him but not to touch Him.

Debts must be forgiven, repudiated, or paid. There aren't any other obvious alternatives.
Old Oct 7, '06, 8:18 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm McLean View Post
Temporal suffering at the time of death might in fact mitigate Purgatory. The good thief was crucified next to Jesus, after all, able to talk to Him but not to touch Him.

Debts must be forgiven, repudiated, or paid. There aren't any other obvious alternatives.
I agree with you that that is the norm. But I wouldn't bind Jesus to any restrictions on who can bypass Purgatory.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics